Thursday Excitement - Teams/Hopes/Fears

carlukemurray

In fairness, every European game is a glamour tie. The last three years we've been absolutely spoiled and only now when I look back on the Nancy trip how absolutely hilarious and brilliant it was. Every European tie is a massive game and I'll get appropriately excited.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay on topic, dickhead. It's a simple topic to discuss.

It's a topic about Motherwell Football Club, which has got the square root of fuck all to do with you, so take your condescending tone and like I said earlier..... fuck off.

What an arrogant wanker of a man you truly are

The overall context of the tie is that Briedablik are playing their first ever tie in Europe. Regardless of the opposition, that provides the grounds for some of their fans to view the match as a massive game. By dismissing a club's first ever European qualification the way you are shows that you are completely out of touch with those of us much further down the football food chain.

No one is arguing that Motherwell against Breidablik is a glamour tie for either set of supporters (and no one has said a bad word about the Icelandic fans who didn't travel), every argument has been that you simply don't have the right to dismiss the idea that Icelandic fans might see their first jaunt into Europe as a huge event on the basis that a Man Utd fans sees it as "just a Europa League tie". But for some reason you just don't seem able to get your head around that. You are going on about how so many people on here are struggling to understand a simple concept, when it's blatantly you who is having the difficulty or, more likely, just doesn't seem interested in actually reading what others are saying.

If Motherwell get to the playoff stage of the Europa League I, like the majority I would assume, will view the tie as a mammoth event for the club - even before the opposition has been drawn.

No, no, no Braveheart. Absolute garbage and you have you kilt in a twist.

The origin and this thread can be traced back to a simple congratulatory remark I made towards the Icelandic fans in which I said they should be recognised for having travelled for a match which isn't a glamour tie. I believe that to be true, and whilst you may diasgree I still believe it to be true when considered in the context of (a) the stage in the competition the tie was held (b) the opposition © the cost of the trip (d) the financial setting.

IMO, every man Jack of the Icelandic support deserves recognition; a small fanbase which at least was represented for the tie in these testing times.

Now you may disagree with my analysis, but there it is. I believe any talk of the Icelandics flocking to Scotland for their first European tie to be fanciful and that the small stature of the Icelandic club, that it's a qualifying round, the fact that it's against Motherwell, and the current the financial climate combined to produce a very small away support. Nevertheless, they did their club proud, and, furthermore, not many more Motherwell fans will make the reverse trip.

I rest my case.

The day after the Llanelli victory, the Club, apparently endorsed by Strathclyde Police, posted information on their website advising fans not to travel to Albania. Advice that, in hindsight, I would argue, the club regrets.

Just to set the record straight.

But, I'm not certain that the comparison is valid anyway.

SD

Don't think it really matters anyway, we would still get pilloried by TL.

Plain English(we Scots tend to speak the language better than our neighbours anyway)

For Motherwell and Briedablik, this is a Glamour tie. For us we went so long without being in Europe that we relish every minute, for our Icelandic friends they are sampling Europe for the first and perhaps the last time for a while should we beat them and they find their squad decimated.

For United fans you can look down your nose at it as you've known nothing but Champions League football for the best part of two decades, winning it twice and reaching numerous quarter finals. I'm sure you'll the remember the last time you lot were stung by so called non-glamour ties, Monaco and Rotor Volgograd spring to mind. However, on purpose or not, you do sound very arrogant and dismissive of a tie that you have little to no knowledge of the sides, their fans, the circumstances the clubs find themselves in or indeed of the competition they are involved in.

btw I wouldn't be passing up those Champions League tickets anymore, who knows the next time you lot will see a semi(unless it's downstairs) again... :(

It's a topic about Motherwell Football Club, which has got the square root of fuck all to do with you, so take your condescending tone and like I said earlier..... fuck off.

What an arrogant wanker of a man you truly are

I don't disagree with a word of it, but I'm what you made me :( However, that is nothing to do with Manchester United, it's just the way I am, so furthermore don't you or anyone on this board make assumptions about my club or how our supporters think. You don't know us and you can't judge us as arrogant, condescending, spoilt or anything else.

Am I speaking fucking Japanese here, or is it the language barrier between England and Scotland? One of you must have a fucking brain. Hang on whilst I get Sharon to interpret, because something is being lost in translation.

The Europa League qualifying round ( not the competition proper ) is not a glamour tie whether it's against Motherwell or Real Madrid, and the Icelandic fans are intelligent to see the tie in its context and make a judgement according to whether it's worth spending hundreds of pounds to attend for ninety minutes. The fact the Icelandics haven't played in Europe before doesn't make them throw their sanity out of the window, just as Motherwell fans didn't do that in Albania last year. Fans weigh up the pro and cons and make a decision of whether to travel or not. Numerous factors come into play - cost, disposable income, significance of match - and a judgement is made on balance. Hence at Fir Park you got the away support you did. Icelandic clubs only have a small begin with and only a proportion of those will travel after having taken the contributory factors into account.

Now what's so fucking difficult to understand? This is basic comprehension.

Get me a Japanese dictionary.

did i read that right he says real madrid wouldny be a glamour tie :(

Don't think it really matters anyway, we would still get pilloried by TL.

Nobody is pillorying you, don't be melodramatic. I would pillory you for supporting those fascist bastards Lazio, but not for disagreeing on a topic such as this. :P

It isn't actually much a disagreement except in terms of how this particular tie should be described. It's hardly Darwin v Creationism; in fact the dividing lines are blurred. I just object to to every harmless, anodyne remark immediately being seized upon as 'arrogant' and 'condescending'. They are looking too hard to take offence; over-analysing every comma and pause. I like to piss them off, sometimes in jest, sometimes seriously, mixing it up so they aren't sure. :(

And you say pilloried......what is waiting to be offended and strike back against the big, bad arrogant Sassenach? I get my share, it's character building :D

Going to bed now; though feel I have to post something before I log off.

Most of us will be aware of the phrase "there's (still) an elephant in the room"/ [Or a version of this].

Well, you've got the metaphorical (and somewhat literal) version of Raol Moat on your Forum tonight:

As Nick Ross, formerly of Crimewatch said: "Don't have nightmares".

You have been warned.

Goodnight.

SD

Nobody is pillorying you, don't be melodramatic. I would pillory you for supporting those fascist bastards Lazio, but not for disagreeing on a topic such as this. :P

It isn't actually much a disagreement except in terms of how this particular tie should be described. It's hardly Darwin v Creationism; in fact the dividing lines are blurred. I just object to to every harmless, anodyne remark immediately being seized upon as 'arrogant' and 'condescending'. They are looking too hard to take offence; over-analysing every comma and pause. I like to piss them off, sometimes in jest, sometimes seriously, mixing it up so they aren't sure. ^_^

And you say pilloried......what is waiting to be offended and strike back against the big, bad arrogant Sassenach? I get my share, it's character building :D

Trafficlight if you genuinely feel, that everyone's out to get you, then perhaps its time to consider pastures new?

When you do get involved in debates such as these - and there have been a few - you waste little time in telling everyone who'll listen what your beliefs, motivations and rights are, and how you'll defend them to the hilt - particularly when the Man Utd card gets played.

That's an admirable trait but there's a time and place to demonstrate it. Is the message board of a team you have a passing interest in really that place?

You've never given the impression of being able to step into the mindset of the average Motherwell fan or comprehend that our outlooks, motivations and viewpoints are quite markedly different from that of the average Man Utd fan.

You made great play about the use of language in the thread. Its a factor but its not so much the language its outlook behind it. You are so used to looking at things from an Man Utd perspective that even if you mean well when you are posting about MFC occasionally it doesn't translate particularly well. It's perhaps worth thinking about if you continue to post on matters about Motherwell.

If in the cold light of day, looking back at what you've posted in this thread you still insist that there's nothing in there that a Motherwell fan would find condescending then really you've got little chance of ever aligning yourself with the majority of 'Well fans.

Anyways this thread is gone. The Club Chat section has largely managed to avoid the kind of threads that have deteriorated in Other Football and Compost Corner and if I can help it there won't be a repeat.