Thursday Excitement - Teams/Hopes/Fears

carlukemurray

Yeah, the exclusivity has gone in the Champions League era because you have several teams from each country participating, but I still love the big european nights; a full house against a top continental side in a night game seems to be the only occasions when there's an atmosphere. And whilst it isn't exclusive to champions, the compeition is actually tougher to win because they are countless top teams you need to get past. You might have to beat Real Madrid AND Barcelona, Inter AND Juventus. The same teams tend to get to the latter stages, and I can see how that would be dull to neutrals, but I always enjoy playing the biggest teams.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This board badly needs a 'wanker' smilie.

Who asked you, dickhead? You can turn any remark into anything you like, even if you don't understand it. Are you flying in from the states for a Europa League qualifier? No, other priorities, like the Icelandics in the first leg and those Motherwell fans who aren't travelling for the second leg? Be sure to post your pics of your visit to Iceland.

Who asked you, dickhead? You can turn any remark into anything you like, even if you don't understand it. Are you flying in from the states for a Europa League qualifier? No, other priorities, like the Icelandics in the first leg and those Motherwell fans who aren't travelling for the second leg? Be sure to post your pics of your visit to Iceland.

Oh gie it a bye. You posted a smug remark. Tried to remedy it and made yourself look even more smug and condescending in the process.

Are you flying in from the states for a Europa League qualifier? .... Be sure to post your pics of your visit to Iceland.

:lol:

I've hired out Decorator for the occasion. Cheaper for me, plus I get to sample the atmosphere Man U fan style as I flick through them from the comfort of my armchair.

Oh gie it a bye. You posted a smug remark. Tried to remedy it and made yourself look even more smug and condescending in the process.

Nothing smug or condescending about it. So what if only a handful of Icelandics made the trip? They deserve full credit for spending that kind of money, and I will wager only few extra Motherwell fans will travel the other way.The expectancy that everyone who supports a small Icelandic club should be grateful to play a Europa League qualifier and spend hundreds to come to Scotland, is smug and condescending.

I remember Decorator's thread about the TEN ( count them ) Motherwell fans who travelled for a European tie last season. Good on them for spending that kind of them, but it's hardly surprising so few did for a tie like that. I wouldn't because I can't afford to, and similarly I have turned down tickets for far bigger ties because I have wanted to save the cash in case United made the next round.

2010-02-14_202320_KettleCallingPotBlack.jpg

I'm judging you, Mr fucking Chicago. You never set foot near the stadium of your own club yet think you can pass judgement on those of us who make the effort, including those of a tiny club in Iceland who are supposed to fork out a fortune for a Europa League qualifier in Scotland! Are you for real?? You dare call people wankers.

You never set foot near the stadium of your own club yet think you can pass judgement on those of us who make the effort, including those of a tiny club in Iceland who are supposed to fork out a fortune for a Europa League qualifier in Scotland! Are you for real?? You dare call people wankers.

And how many times exactly have you made the effort to be at Fir Park? If I had the $1100 for flights I'd be there every week. As it is, I try and make sure my visits back coincide with games so i can see my team. I'll be back in April. Will you have set foot inside The Citadel by then, I wonder?

Hows about you fucking wrap it and we can maybe go back and have some kind of civilised conversation about the game? Or is this another thread thats going down the shitter?

How about you fucking wrap it. We were having a civilised conversation about the game until the uber-fan from the states began the insults.

Those Icelandics who travelled to Scotland deserve total respect for spending big money to see a small tie, whether it's their first European match or not. These are tough times and they spent as much money travelling to see a Europa League qualifier as they would for a Champions League semi-final, so good luck to them and same to 'Well fans who travel the other way; most of whom won't but who aren't lesser fans than those who do.

And how many times exactly have you made the effort to be at Fir Park? If I had the $1100 for flights I'd be there every week. As it is, I try and make sure my visits back coincide with games so i can see my team. I'll be back in April. Will you have set foot inside The Citadel by then, I wonder?

But Motherwell aren't my team. I spend about £1500 ( for domestic games only ) a season supporting mine, so don't judge me or the Icelandic fans who support their team. It's you who's the wanker and who is condescending. You never set foot near a football stadium and don't have to make the choices we do.

Nothing smug or condescending about it. So what if only a handful of Icelandics made the trip? They deserve full credit for spending that kind of money, and I will wager only few extra Motherwell fans will travel the other way.The expectancy that everyone who supports a small Icelandic club should be grateful to play a Europa League qualifier and spend hundreds to come to Scotland, is smug and condescending.

I remember Decorator's thread about the TEN ( count them ) Motherwell fans who travelled for a European tie last season. Good on them for spending that kind of them, but it's hardly surprising so few did for a tie like that. I wouldn't because I can't afford to, and similarly I have turned down tickets for far bigger ties because I have wanted to save the cash in case United made the next round.

You seem to be missing the point. You were the one who took it upon himself to look down your nose at the Europa League and the tie by deciding it was by no means a glamorous one.

You would know how the Breidablik fans felt about this tie how?

We know our place in the grand scheme of things. We're pishy wee teams having an absolute fucking ball just being in Europe. We could be knocked out and never qualify again for the next 20 years. We can't get blase about qualification and EVERY tie has a glamour and excitement about it because we know it could be our last for decades.

Ofcourse however many fans deserve full credit be they Motherwell, Breidablik or whatever one of us get through to join the Aalesund fans who like Breidablik will also be experiencing their first ever Euro tie.

They don't need some condescending Man Utd fan looking down his nose and deciding what competition or opponent constitutes a "glamour" tie.

But Motherwell aren't my team.

Yet here you are.... :lol:

No idea what you are going on about with me being condescending to Icelanders - I never once mentioned them but I did have a go at you for being a smug and arrogant twat about those who showed up.

Now...can we get back to talking about the game, finally?

You seem to be missing the point. You were the one who took it upon himself to look down your nose at the Europa League and the tie by deciding it was by no means a glamorous one.

You would know how the Breidablik fans felt about this tie how?

We know our place in the grand scheme of things. We're pishy wee teams having an absolute fucking ball just being in Europe. We could be knocked out and never qualify again for the next 20 years. We can't get blase about qualification and EVERY tie has a glamour and excitement about it because we know it could be our last for decades.

Ofcourse however many fans deserve full credit be they Motherwell, Breidablik or whatever one of us get through to join the Aalesund fans who like Breidablik will also be experiencing their first ever Euro tie.

They don't need some condescending Man Utd fan looking down his nose and deciding what competition or opponent constitutes a "glamour" tie.

No, YOU are missing the point entirely. Icelandic clubs are small and have a small fan base. These are difficult economic times and football fans are every bit as affected as everyone else, so the fact they brought a group of fans over for a Europa League qualifer from a country which is on the brink, is a testament to them. How many should they have brought to Britain, this small Icelandic club - five thousand, fifty thousand? I will bet my last penny that most of those who travelled (a) had never heard of Motherwell before the draw or (b) knew nothing about them. They know that a Europa League qualifier isn't a glamour tie, so please don't patronise them by telling them they are they part of something incredible; they aren't stupid and it's you who are being condescending. You think Icelandic people don't know how to contextualise what a big game is? Those who travelled, however small in number, have my full respect. They have other priorities, same as all football fans, and can decide for themselves which matches are worth attending. They voted with their feet in the context of the cost of attending, same as we all do; their home crowd will be much bigger than the number who travelled to Scotland.

Yet here you are.... :lol:

No idea what you are going on about with me being condescending to Icelanders - I never once mentioned them but I did have a go at you for being a smug and arrogant twat about those who showed up.

Now...can we get back to talking about the game, finally?

No, you have been extremely smug and arrogant. You never go near a match yet think you can judge everyone from the fans of a small Icelandic club to those of a huge name like Manchester United. Try living in the real world, making the choices we do about which games we attend, then you might be in a position to judge us. You have no idea how difficult it is for most football fans in 2010.