Leeann D

Guest 'Flow

Maybe read what is being said more carefully before getting all aggresive. The respect aspect was in relation to the comments by Ewing Graeme regarding the up and coming Well game.

I did also say that we all know the reasons why the McGeady story gets put on the back page, particularly if it's the aquatic deal of the century. Pond Weekly would no doubt go nuts over it. To continue the theme of missing the point completly however, I will agree with you, that

printing the McGeady story has fuck all to do with showing disrespect for the game. It is simply a shit story and sensationalism untill such times as there is any substance to the fact that McGeady is going to Villa.

I'm not aggresive. I just have type tourettes...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all this stuff about scottish football being on it's knees is frankly a load of pish. scotland has the highest football attendance per capita of anywhere in europe. in terms of population we're about the 28th most populous country in europe but 14th in league co-efficient.

scotland (a country of under 5 million people) has a higher top league average attendance higher than Russia (150 million), ukraine (45 million) switzerland (7 million people), sweden (10 million), portugal (11 million), and poland (37 million) and austria (8 million).

the first division here has a higher average attendance than the top leagues of ireland and croatia.

all this stuff about scottish football being on it's knees is frankly a load of pish. scotland has the highest football attendance per capita of anywhere in europe. in terms of population we're about the 28th most populous country in europe but 14th in league co-efficient.

scotland (a country of under 5 million people) has a higher top league average attendance higher than Russia (150 million), ukraine (45 million) switzerland (7 million people), sweden (10 million), portugal (11 million), and poland (37 million) and austria (8 million).

the first division here has a higher average attendance than the top leagues of ireland and croatia.

That might be the case, but would Kilmarnock be able to survive in the top tiers of the Portugese, Russian and Ukranian leagues? Probably not.

Its more the quality for me than anything else.

It's really not. No one is talking about attendances in isolation, in fact attendances are merely one small part of the equation.

Nowhere in your post did you mention the word 'pound' or '£' - how can you make any argument and not talk about money

while attendances tread water or decline - financial outlay including stadium upkeep, policing, wages, the playing surface rocket.

Ask John Boyle or Leeann Dempster to answer your post - without bringing finances into it.

Well done on digging the population info out tho.

Ok you win Scottish football is brilliant, i mean if we get more fans than Ireland where the GAA is the predominant sporting body and Russia,Poland,portugal and Ukraine who are well behind us in living standards then we have nothing to worry about.

;):D:lol:

At long last a decent thread about MFC without folk calling other folk names and generally being arseholes.

We're all in it together at MFC and should be constructive on the board.

Good to see you back kmcalpin it's been a while since you posted on here.

I have the same problem as you as do many other fans who used to post on here but got right royally pissed off by all the puerile tripe that was posted. Lets see if we can keep the standard up to the level of this thread ( too much to ask ???) and all support the Dossers.

Mon the Dossers

That might be the case, but would Kilmarnock be able to survive in the top tiers of the Portugese, Russian and Ukranian leagues? Probably not.

Its more the quality for me than anything else.

Not really the main point, but why would'nt Kilmarnock (Or Motherwell) survive in the Portugese, Russian or Ukrainian leagues? Theres a chunk of average teams who get the same sort of attendances in each league.

Not having a go, just wondering why you'd suggest it?

Listened to the podcast this morning but I take it that it was edited highlights as it was only about 25 mins long and Leann barely featured at all and with no mention of the club finances. Damn and blast!

Ach, at least I got a good giggle on the train ride to work at the lassie who ordered the Boz Steak....

This makes for very interesting reading Steelboy and actually shatters some of my preconceptions about other leagues in Europe. Will it not be the case however that the Old Firm attendances give a false impression of the health of Scottish attendances? I suppose the same could be said however of the two Lisbon teams in Portugal so it may not be such a big contributing factor.

The other issue that is hidden by these figures is that the fact that the Russian, Portugese, Croation and possibly Swedish leagues produce a better standard of player (judging by National sides). This may be down to have a bigger gene pool to pick from however.

Don't worry, I can assure you that will be broadcast on the show next week... :notworthy:

Seeing as how you are here, how come the show is only 25 mins on the podcast? I got all excited on the train this morning when Stuart said it was a 2 hour show so I am sure you can understand my disappointment at just how much of Martin Hardie's patter I missed...

Seeing as how you are here, how come the show is only 25 mins on the podcast? I got all excited on the train this morning when Stuart said it was a 2 hour show so I am sure you can understand my disappointment at just how much of Martin Hardie's patter I missed...
They only get to put the funny bits in the podcast (the other 23 minutes are filler).

:notworthy:

Just ref Leeann's comment that some folk are getting their knickers in a twist aboot...

I had a chat with her a few weeks ago and she said something along these lines...

Some SPL Chairmen and Staff don't have a grip on reality of what they are doing to the game.

We expect fans to turn up to games at our convenience - Not theirs - with stupid kick off times

We tell them they can't stand up

We expect them to pay over the odds for sub-standard catering

We tell them they can't drink

We tell them they can't wave flags

And we expect them to pay £20 and upwards for the privilege, or in some cases at away games over £80 for a family of four in admission alone.

I hope she disney mind me posting up that sort of detail of our conversation. She's right, some fans don't have a grip of the financial reality but I know for a fact she knows that other SPL clubs don't have a grip on how bad the finances of the game are. More importantly, too many of them are against modernisation and don't appreciate how much the fans mean to a club.

My take on her overall attitude is this. I don't think she thinks our current admission prices (and those all over the SPL) are good value. I think what she's trying to do is make our current admission prices reflect good value for the price. This but is an uphill battle with some of the other SPL clubs. I think she knows that dropping the price won't work, and the game on the park is in many ways outwith her control, so she has to work on improving the overall matchday experience to return better value for our admission.

To be honest, i've no idea why anyones getting their knickers in a twist, i've heard nothing from Leanne that hasn't been exactly what I want (including letting my faither and i know they'd got more currency in the airport!) But getting young talented players in on contracts of a decent length so that the club can make some cash off them, the Hateley deal and the Randolph deal could do us a turn, sorting out the charters and giving us the chat and letting us know that the cash we're paying is paying for us and not the players, the changes to catering. Just wee morsels like that is making the whole process far simpler.

If the comments in the post above above mine are anything to go by as well, the club have done well to get someone who seems to have a grip on reality on board as well.

Guest 'Flow
Yes she was, going by the quotes here. She didn't say fans didn't understand it, she said they didn't want to hear it and, by and large, I think that's true

Yea, don't think that is too far off the mark Haggis - and she wasn't just meaning Motherwell fans; she was talking about a large portion (not all) of the general footy supporting public in this country.

I don't think Leeann would mind me saying that Motherwell, as a club, literally live month-to-month in terms of money. There are times when things become really, really tight (one home game in a month for example) and we often have to pull strings.

Joe is also correct in that Leeann is acutely away in the deficiencies in our product but as I've highlighted, we need a collective SPL effort because no-one club can really take the lead; it would be financial suicide. An example - if Motherwell reduced their ticket prices to £15 and £10 for admission and no other club did, we'd probably see a very minor increase in the gate, but, ultimately, a loss in revenue.

That is based, wholly, on previous games where the club have reduced admission prices and 99.9% of the time, the net result is lost revenue.

If you multiply that by 20 home games, you're easily talking about a six-figure sum negative different to the current budget. That is two first-team players and possibly the difference between us being in the top six and the bottom six - or the difference between us and a Kilmarnock, a Hamilton, a St Mirren etc.

In my personal opinion, we need league wide agreements on things so every club cuts their cloth equally and proportionately. We have an agreed, sensible, pricing structure (£15/£10 for example) and you pay that for Ibrox, Celtic Park, Fir Park, Tannadice etc etc). That would mean we'd all feel an equal pinch from loss of revenue but we'd all feel the same pinch and could all cut the same cloth, meaning an equal playing field (or, as equal as it is now).

That could also be the founder for other league-wide agreements on other things like stadium rules and regulations (for example) so fans have a consistent set of rules to abide by (i.e. to avoid a situation where you're allowed to take a flag to one ground and not the other). That lack of consistency certainly doesn't help attract people to games.

But that's the problem! We need major re-structuring so the power of the games doesn't lie with individual clubs who will make calls to look only after themselves. That formula was only ever going to end in tears I am afraid!

Interesting debate none-the-less

Podcasts not my forte, but the full show is on iPlayer. Although why waste time at the computer if trains get you all excited? Pop down to Motherwell station - there's a big choo-choo leaving Platform 1 in about ten minutes time. Don't forget your Kleenex.

Podcasts not my forte, but the full show is on iPlayer. Although why waste time at the computer if trains get you all excited? Pop down to Motherwell station - there's a big choo-choo leaving Platform 1 in about ten minutes time. Don't forget your Kleenex.

Chicago isn't on the Hamiton Circle but.

BBC doesn't let us use iPlayer either cos it just highlights how pish Yank stuff is.

BBC doesn't let us use iPlayer either cos it just highlights how pish Yank stuff is.
Yes they do. You can access most radio programmes on iPlayer - it's only telly that causes the problems (because they make money selling those elsewhere).

Nae money to be made with "Off the Ball" so you should be able to listen here.

An example - if Motherwell reduced their ticket prices to £15 and £10 for admission and no other club did, we'd probably see a very minor increase in the gate, but, ultimately, a loss in revenue.

I often wonder about this so I'm going to voice it now. I am in the fortunate position that I can afford to go to whatever Motherwell games I choose to (certainly domestically). However if we were to bring our prices down to say £13 for a single game for the whole season whilst everyone else stayed at £20. We may see a small increase in the home gate but where we could reap the rewards is the away one.

If Aberdeen, United, Hearts, hibs, Killie, St Mirren fans all think we can only afford one away game per season all of a sudden surely they would all pick to come to Motherwell. Because to be blunt whilst home supports have dropped over the years the biggest proportional reduction is with visiting fans. Not saying it would work and we'd have to market it well but the crowd we took to Tynecastle that snowy night in December shows there is some demand there.

Just a thought.