Odense - Europa League Play Off 2nd Leg

Tartan Copper

Johan Absalonsen was unfortunately unjured in yesterdays match and won't be ready for Thursday.

Gislason SHOULD be ready, and so is Henrik Toft, our new physical attacker.

We played a great match against Brøndby IF yesterday, who beat Sporting Lissabon 2-0 last week. We had 2-0 until minute 84, where TWO... TWO referee mistakes gave them two goals (even though they only had 10 players).. First one was a penalty kick, which I believe shouldn't have been judged.. Second goal was OK... If it wasn't because the scoring player brought the ball under control with his hand just before the goal.

Our Hans Henrik Andreasen scored an amazing free-kick goal with the Jabulani, and Peter Utaka scored with a header.

Anyways... We didn't play up to the standards, so I think it will be 60/40 to you.

----------

Unfortunately I can't go to the match, since I have other plans next week... And it doesn't seem like there's a TV team on Fir Park on Thursday.. Can that really be true?? Thought every Europa League match were sent in TV... Even Danish 1st division football is shown in TV.. So that's odd :rolleyes:

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Couple of questions;

1. What is this match worth to Motherwell if we win? £2,000,000?

2. Do away goals count double in extra time or does the score 'reset', so to speak, at the start of the last 30 mins? For the life of me I can't remember.

Maybe just the pessimist in me but i would expect Odense to put in a far more professional performance than they did in the 1st leg.

They know they are in a game now.

I also believe this will be the case.

However that theory works both ways, in that our players have played 90 mins v Odense and realised that for the most part they are a match for them. We should take confidence from that.

I am not sure we will keep them out over 90 mins - which means we will probably have to score 3 goals to go through :)

2. Do away goals count double in extra time or does the score 'reset', so to speak, at the start of the last 30 mins? For the life of me I can't remember.

If they score one or more at Fir park we have to score at least two more than them to progress be it in 90 or 120 minutes: 2-1 takes it into extra time if it stays the same after 120mins then penalties

they score two in 90 or 120 we have to score at least 4 on the night

thye sore three we have to score at least 5

Big decison for Brown with regards to how he shapes the midfield.

Hateley's best form for has came when he has played in front of the defence and pinged out the passses. I don't think he offers much as a defensive midfielder but we need him to be really on his game in order for us to try and keep possession.

Question is who do you play alongside him. Obviously Lasley will start and put in a gutsy performance, could do with him not giving away needless fouls as we will be punished from set pieces. Then do you play Fitzpatrick or Forbes? One offers workrate and an ability to break the game up, the other should offer a threat going forward and help keep possession. At the same time though, there is the risk that the game will bypass the pair of them.

I'd be tempted to put Sutton in midfield, you're always going to get a shift out of him. He will win his fair share of 50/50s and is also decent in possession. he's probably the best bet in terms of nullify Djemba Djemba as well.

So I'd probably go:

................Randolph

Saunders Craigan Reynolds Hammell

..............Lasley Hateley

.................Sutton

Humphrey....................Blackman

................Murphy

I'd doesn't leave many attacking options on the bench though if we are chasing a goal??

Great shout big Sutton runs his heart out and looks a lot like his brother who i know was more mobile but he went back to centre mid for the T@@s and was a success i think if we put him there on djemba djemba and big blackman up front goals are a certainty

CMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Couple of questions;

1. What is this match worth to Motherwell if we win? £2,000,000?

1. Rough Figures - Did this in another thread, think we're looking at £1.5m in prize money and gate receipts give or take and the TV money was debated, it could be dependant on how many Scottish teams remain or it was argued that we'd be able to secure our own TV deals. Guestimating, but we may reach a much as £3m if we agree to time changes for foreign broadcasters, that is if the footballing gods smile upon us on Thursday.

2. I don't know however I'd think it should reset after 90 minutes. No aggregate in extra time just we have the benefit as we came out the hat second, them is the breaks.

cant get carried away with the money at stake, but it is still the most significant income we are likely to receive for some time edit if we make it :)

In contrast, Celtic – who dropped out of the Champions League at the play-off round stage and went straight into the Europa League groups – made just £1,532,601 from taking part in Europe, £12,446,315 less than their Glasgow rivals received.

UEFA RELEASE CASH REPORT

•Prize money breakdown for Champions and Europa Leagues

A ‘market pool’ of £551,690 was given to the Hoops in TV money for their six games against Rapid Vienna, Hamburg and Hapoel Tel-Aviv, with £490,356 handed out for participating and a further £245,178 for completing the six games.

£98,079 was given to a team for a win and £49,039 for a draw, meaning Celtic received £245,240 in results-based bonuses after a win and three draws.

Both missed out on respective £2.45 million and £294,183 bonuses for qualifying for the first round of the knockout stages in both competitions, with both failing to progress.

in contrast Rangers earned? £12,400,000 more for similar performance in the champions league, from STV report here

not sure if the TV money increase dependant on the group?

My fear is that with so much at stake theres a lot of nervous tension inside the ground and certain sections of the support start to get on players backs with the ususal unhelpful comments.

At Killie on Sunday Murphy made an error and there was people giving it "Oh unlucky Jamie son" Fitz made the same error and was castigated for it "For fucks sake ya dumplin", we can do without that on Thursday every single fan needs to get behind every single player especially the younger ones.

I know come kick off my stomach will be doing somersaults no idea how I'll be able to concentrate at work during the day.

Reckon we could be looking at something like this:

---------------------Randolph----------------------

Saunders-----Craigan-------Reynolds--------Hammell

--------------Hateley-------Lasley------------------

Humphrey----------------------------------Blackman

---------------------Sutton-------------------------

---------------------Murphy-------------------------

We'll also have a good crowd numbers wise, but a shite atmosphere as usual.

But the main point is we're going to fucking do this mob.

I think the team selection boils down to who will replace Jennings. I don't see any other changes in the starting line-up from last Thursday.

Option (1) Fitzpatrick or Forbes. A more defensive option. Fitz getting 90 minutes on Sunday and doing OK suggests he's in with a shout.

Option (2) Blackman. Clearly a more attacking start, and he's made a strong claim with his performances so far.

This is Craig Brown we're talking about. I think (1) is more likely. Keep it tight and see what happens, bring Blackman on later. I trust the manager and his 'colleague' whatever they go for.

As per previous posters, getting right behind all the players for the 90 minutes (or longer) will be a big help.

that's the team i'd go for as well. it will also give you scope to switch sutty, murph and blackman around so they can do shifts on the wing which used to work pretty well under mcghee and will give the ob defence different things to think about.

I like your thinking, lets do this fucking mob, they thought we were a walkover

1. Rough Figures - Did this in another thread, think we're looking at £1.5m in prize money and gate receipts give or take and the TV money was debated, it could be dependant on how many Scottish teams remain or it was argued that we'd be able to secure our own TV deals. Guestimating, but we may reach a much as £3m if we agree to time changes for foreign broadcasters, that is if the footballing gods smile upon us on Thursday.

2. I don't know however I'd think it should reset after 90 minutes. No aggregate in extra time just we have the benefit as we came out the hat second, them is the breaks.

actually foreign broadcasters don't decide the Europa League times from the group stage onwards the times are set by UEFA and are 6pm and 8.05 pm (3 group games at each kick off time) and motherwell would be guarenteed every game (on Five ITV4 or ESPN) live if no more than 5 UK teams qualify because there are 5 slots each matchnight and the uk broadcasters always go for higher audience

and the aggregate counts the whole way through extra time including all away goals scored in the tie

Had a fairly mental dream last night. It was 0-0 in the 93rd minute and 80th second (I know), the ball's with John Ruddy (I know), he knows if he boots it long the ref blows for full time, so he runs out to the edge of his D, nobody closes him down, so he goes to the half way line, he looks one of their players dead in the eye and mouths "I'm skinning you!", fuckin beasts his way past him and lets rip from 40 yards. Keeper tips it over the bar. Ruddy takes the corner and Steven Craigan taps the ball in from two yards (I know) to send us through!

Woke up with drool all over the pillow and mornin wood!

I believe!

That's my team but I would swap Sutton and Blackman. I think Sutton will be better at left midfield because of his defensive ability - unless you've put him there to cover Djemba-Djemba then ignore me.

My biggest fear is that we do a Nancy, have a big crowd and then after half an hour the game is over. However, I don't think that will happen this week.

I think it's going to extra time and maybe penalties. So it's gonnae be euphoria or heartbreak but what it will be is in the hands of the football gods.

That's my team but I would swap Sutton and Blackman. I think Sutton will be better at left midfield because of his defensive ability - unless you've put him there to cover Djemba-Djemba then ignore me.

Aye, that was my thinking - if memory serves, that was the plan for the first leg so I wouldn't expect Broonie to change it for Thursday.

Although I do like steelboy's shout of rotating Murphy, Sutton and Blackman as the game goes on. That could cause all sorts of problems for the Odense defence. Of course, it would require who ever was on Djemba-Djemba each time to put a defensive shift in when required.