Some 'well Fans And Their Bloody Pish!

Well Up For It!

This is the first chance I've had to post this, but I was sat in the East Stand on Sunday, further along toward the South than normal. Behind me was too guys probably in their 50's and for virtually the whole 90mins I had to listen to their absolute drivel and complete lack of support for the team and it made my blood boil that I felt the need to come on hear and have a rant!

No-one was safe and all afternoon we got things like:

"The sooner Reynolds goes the better, he's fucking so slow to react!"

"Craig Brown is fucking past it, we need a new younger manager who has up-to date tactics"

"Craigan is the worst centre half I've ever seen in a 'Well shirt!"

"That boy Murphy is so over-rated, we should try punt him on the media hype he's getting"

"Sutton is useless, never wins a header!"

"Hateley can't pass for shit"

"Humphrey is just a runner who couldn't hack it in athletics!"

...you get the drift! All this coupled with them screaming out "you're shite !

At around 70mins, just before the penalty, my Uncle who I was with turned round and told them to shut up as their negative chat was not only a million miles off but no way to support a team. Without response, they quitened down until the penalty when young Saunders got it for "no footballing brain" and, believe it or not, Randolph because "Ruddy would have saved that!"

Why is it we have the most negative supporters? I know it's only a minority, but these idiots shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the team. Yeah I get on the back of players from time to time, never been a fan of Fitzpatrick, same way I never rated Adam, Pearson, Townsley, etc - but I still gave them my support. I'll shout at a player who plays a stupid pass, etc...but two seconds later I'll clap and egg them on, get the heads up and all.

Yeah we were poor yesterday, and it was boring to watch. I said to my uncle that Hateley was off the boil and should be subbed, never went into a rant about "he's shite" or booed anytime he touched the ball!

It happens all too often with our fans if you ask me, and even on these boards we see it all the time. Despite their endevours with us a long of ex players and managers get it unjustly tight from the fans instead of being appreciative of what they acheived. For example it's fair enough to have it in for McGhee for leaving us for an SPL rival, but didn't you enjoy his time in charge? 3rd in the league and playing some of the best football I've ever seen at Fir Park?

Even on our European game last Thursday there were section of fans around me in the South who were dishing it out really harshly to players. "You don't have a fucking clue Broon" was my personal favourite from that match!

Anyway, the whole point is that a percentage of our fans seem far to quick to shoot down anyone who doesn't perform miracles and it has such a negative effect on fellow supporters who have to endure it. To coin a phrase, those two old dicks from Sunday make me a little bit ashamed to be a Motherwell fan - and that's not how I want to feel.

I know people pay good money (far too much if you ask me, but thats another debate) to watch the team and are very much entitled to their opinion. Just wish some fans would realise that we aren't Real Madrid or Man Utd. We are a small, provincial, mid-table Scottish club with a great tradition of blooding young players and it's beyond unrealistic to expect miracles. The pollution of some people is doing no one any favours and I hate to see/hear it. If I have to sit an listen to the pish I did on Sunday again, I think I'll have to take a time out from going to games.

Anyway, rant over....well done if you made it to here!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you don't like it don't go yir always going to get that at fitba games, also the comment about craigans isny far off.

Off the top of my head...

Tony Vaughn

Karl Ready

Greg Strong

Robert Maaskant

William Kinniburgh

David Partridge

Bobby Donnelly

Brian McLean

Just a short list of centre halfs we've had mostly in recent history that Craigan is head and shoulders above, the boy Maaskant is going back a bit but the horror never recedes there. First post in this thread is spot on, might not be much can do about it but get some right dicks spewing virulant garbage for nigh on 90 minutes and you wonder what enjoyment the game brings them!

if you don't like it don't go yir always going to get that at fitba games, also the comment about craigans isny far off.

Was it you sitting behind me?!

Like I said, I expect it at football every now and then....but ripping the team for the sake of it for 90mins?! Why go to the game in the first place?!

When I saw the topic title I thought this may be a support group for 'Well fans with gallstones.....

If there's one thing that's worse than people moaning aboot the players, it's people moaning aboot people moaning aboot the players.

Dry yer eyes and wring yer gusset oot.

:thumbup::unsure:

Coffee aw ower the monitor

I can actually understand their frustration we were PISH beyond PISH on sunday and weren't capable of passing a ball 5 yards and another Motherwell NIL game in the 2nd of two massive games for us is indeed PISH..Hope i've made my point happy clappers. Im the first to praise us when we do well in games but really when the going gets tough we dont get going at all. :unsure:

Off the top of my head...

Tony Vaughn

Karl Ready

Greg Strong

Robert Maaskant

William Kinniburgh

David Partridge

Bobby Donnelly

Brian McLean

Just a short list of centre halfs we've had mostly in recent history that Craigan is head and shoulders above, the boy Maaskant is going back a bit but the horror never recedes there. First post in this thread is spot on, might not be much can do about it but get some right dicks spewing virulant garbage for nigh on 90 minutes and you wonder what enjoyment the game brings them!

You missed Mark Reynolds off your list.

Unfortunately guys of 50 years and older can go back to days when Motherwell had real quality players and could afford them. So when they do watch players who are trying hard, but don't have the basis skills to control a ball or pass it to their team mates, or continue to just lump the ball up the park to no-one, I can understand their frustration, because it get's to me as well at times. They have at least put their money into the club by attending, so have some right to criticise.

Unfortunately guys of 50 years and older can go back to days when Motherwell had real quality players and could afford them. So when they do watch players who are trying hard, but don't have the basis skills to control a ball or pass it to their team mates, or continue to just lump the ball up the park to no-one, I can understand their frustration, because it get's to me as well at times. They have at least put their money into the club by attending, so have some right to criticise.

what quality players would these be?

the ones who were getting relegated in the 70s and 80s?

were all those guys really quality though or has the fans perception of what quality is shifted in the age of televised fitba and an over active media and internet?

plus of all the guys you've listed there how many of them were actually signed from another senior club? bobby graham and gahagan i think but i may be wrong.

Joe Wark. Willie Pettigrew, Bobby Graham, John Gahagan, Tam Forsyth, Willie Irvine, John Martis, Peter McLoy, John" Dixie" Deans, Ian St John, I could go on for hours and I probably will..................

To be fair on an League stage/European stage I doubt there is much difference in the quality of football between the two teams. Football then and now are two different things tbh, which both eras would stuggle in the others

were all those guys really quality though or has the fans perception of what quality is shifted in the age of televised fitba and an over active media and internet?

plus of all the guys you've listed there how many of them were actually signed from another senior club? bobby graham and gahagan i think but i may be wrong.

Ian St John - went on to be top player @ Liverpool

Perter McLoy - International keeper

Tam Forsyth - International player lots of caps

Willie Pettigrew - International caps sold for £100k ( a lot of money back then)

Joe Wark - God

Dixie Deans - Internatinalist went to the Tims for money

Not bad plaers at all and everyone I quoted would be in current team easily.

Willie Pettigrew - International caps sold for £100k ( a lot of money back then)

Joe Wark - God

But you can say the same over the last 20 years. We've had a smattering of cracking players over the years who have gone onto better things, played for tehir national teams or became legends at our club. Its OK saying that the guys in their 50's are frustrated becasue of teh lack of talent, but there are guys in their 20's who have seen far better players at Fir Park than there are just now.

Peter McLoy - International keeper

Joe Wark - God

Not bad players at all and everyone I quoted would be in current team easily.

Both won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1972

Don't know how to multi quote but in the 70's and 80's we were only relegated twice and in comparison Hearts and Hibs who most would regard to have had many more better players than us over the same period have both been down twice as well.

I agree that some of the negativity is completely over the top but being an oldie too I can understand the frustration because there is no class player in this team. Loads of potential but at the moment no class.

Joe Wark - God

st john - faddy

mcloy - admitedly we've not had many top keepers but big randy might be the one

forsyth - mcculloch

pettigrew - clarky

wark - hammell will beat his record

deans - mcdonald

st john - faddy

mcloy - admitedly we've not had many top keepers but big randy might be the one

forsyth - mcculloch

pettigrew - clarky

wark - hammell will beat his record

deans - mcdonald

Clarky couldn't lace Wullie P's boots, and however many games Hammell plays, he won't beat Joe Wark's record of only ever picking up one single booking in his entire career (and that, if I recall, was a dubious one in one of his last games).

Clarky couldn't lace Wullie P's boots, and however many games Hammell plays, he won't beat Joe Wark's record of only ever picking up one single booking in his entire career (and that, if I recall, was a dubious one in one of his last games).

but did joe wark ever have to face dougie mcdonald? :angry:

every team in scotland's fans (and probably all fans around the world) will tell you about the truly great players their teams used to have. i think it has more to do with the fact that people saw less fitba and had fewer ways of comparing players.