Motherwell Players For Scotland

prideoflanarkshire

On the eve of the scotland game, I am getting more and more p'd off with the Scotland team selections:

Mark Reynolds - Why can he not get a cap for the full team? surely he is better than Garry Kenneth, Berra, and the donkey brothers!! Why he not get a game in Sweden.

Ross McCormack and Davie Clarkson - They struggled to get a cap when at fir park, however, the min they move to a English 'bigger club' they are picked.

Keith Lasley, Steven Hammell - Could also be in with a shout of getting a chance as they could easily be on the same level as charlie adam, barry Robson, paul dixon, callum davidson

I just feel that players within fir park are over looked and could be easily picked. Whats ur thoughts?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mediocre Old scum players are easier to pick than good provincial players.

I was willing to give Levien a chance however he has proved that he is just the latest in a long line of Managers who pander to the scum rather than pick a deserving provincial club player. Only in Leviens case he has also capped undeserving players from his previous club such as Kenneth ffs.

It amazes me how as soon as players leave clubs like Motherwell as has been proved over the years, they mysteriously immediately become good enough to be capped.

Keith Lasley, Steven Hammell - Could also be in with a shout of getting a chance as they could easily be on the same level as charlie adam, barry Robson, paul dixon, callum davidson

No, just no. I like Lasley, but he is in no-way comparable to Robson, or Blackpool captain Charlie Adam who was by far the best player in that team last season. Get the Claret and Amber specs off.

BTW, I agree with you regarding Reynolds.

On the eve of the scotland game, I am getting more and more p'd off with the Scotland team selections:

Mark Reynolds - Why can he not get a cap for the full team? surely he is better than Garry Kenneth, Berra, and the donkey brothers!! Why he not get a game in Sweden.

Ross McCormack and Davie Clarkson - They struggled to get a cap when at fir park, however, the min they move to a English 'bigger club' they are picked.

I just feel that players within fir park are over looked and could be easily picked. Whats ur thoughts?

Reynolds is better than Kenneth but as a left sided centre half is not gonna get picked ahead of McManus and Berra, both of whom are arguably playing at a higher level. Berra certainly is.

Clarkson is no where near Scotland squad and think he was still at Motherwell was he not when he got his cap? McCormack possibly could have been picked but scoring 20 plus goals in Championship was a step up from impressive enough form with us.

Hammell and Lasley are two good pros but no not good enough.

I agree with much that Malky says but Hammell is a funny one. He's getting on now, but given Gary Naysmith's record with injury, Stevie Hammell should have a lot more caps to his name. Quite often Scotland have pushed guys out to left back who aren't even left footed or even full backs. He's been pretty consistent in the SPL over the years at a time when frankly that's been enough to get you in the Scotland squad. Kirk Broadfoot will end his career with more Scotland caps than Stevie Hammell and something about that is just not right...

No, just no. I like Lasley, but he is in no-way comparable to Robson, or Blackpool captain Charlie Adam who was by far the best player in that team last season. Get the Claret and Amber specs off.

Adam is a player that needs space and time, looked useless against Sweden, Lasley is a grafter and works hard, I would rather see Lasley as a holding mid than Paul Hartley

Robson has yet to do anything in a Scotland strip - why keep picking him

I agree with much that Malky says but Hammell is a funny one. He's getting on now, but given Gary Naysmith's record with injury, Stevie Hammell should have a lot more caps to his name. Quite often Scotland have pushed guys out to left back who aren't even left footed or even full backs. He's been pretty consistent in the SPL over the years at a time when frankly that's been enough to get you in the Scotland squad. Kirk Broadfoot will end his career with more Scotland caps than Stevie Hammell and something about that is just not right...

I'm a big fan of Hammell and feel he is generally underrated by Motherwell fans but he didn't kick on enough with his career to nail a Scotland call-up. To be honest I think he has been content playing at the level he has over the years. When he looks back on his career however, he may regret not pushing himself a wee bit further. He definately had the ability to make it at a higher level.

Agree re Hammell.

Discussion on the radio about left back now Wallace is injured.

They were touting Broadfoot, a man who is even crap in his natural position.

Cant see the harm in throwing Hammell in at left back as he would be solid and would have decent defenders around him. He's also now got a bit of Euro experience.

have similar thoughts about Reynolds. Gary Kenneth keeps being touted.

Reynolds has had cracking games in Europe against a similar/lesser standard of opposition than he will face against Lichtenstein etc.

For what its worth and slightly off topic, surely Dorrans will walk into the Scotland team ahead of O/F players. POTY in Championship last year.

Agree with Lobby regarding Hammell!

Althought it's funny hearing the criticism of Levein regards to picking Old Firm players. He's dropped one of our best fit goalkeepers who currently at Rangers and I believe, without checking their is only one Celtic player in the Squad - if this play for Old Firm play for Scotland was true, then Mulgrew would be in the squad, and unless it has changed this afternoon Mulgrew is not in the Squad?

Agree re Hammell.

Discussion on the radio about left back now Wallace is injured.

They were touting Broadfoot, a man who is even crap in his natural position.

Cant see the harm in throwing Hammell in at left back as he would be solid and would have decent defenders around him. He's also now got a bit of Euro experience.

have similar thoughts about Reynolds. Gary Kenneth keeps being touted.

Reynolds has had cracking games in Europe against a similar/lesser standard of opposition than he will face against Lichtenstein etc.

For what its worth and slightly off topic, surely Dorrans will walk into the Scotland team ahead of O/F players. POTY in Championship last year.

Dorrans must be a shoe-in for a start.

Joe Wark was the best uncapped Scottish player...ever!!!!!! Old Firm right backs were moved around to fit them in rather than play the best left back in the country at that time. The more things change etc etc

Mid seventies to mid eighties you couldn't buy a cap if you were a 'well player. Wark was the most obvious but a good few others also missed out- Stewart Rennie springs to mind.

The fact that as soon as anyone leaves to join a "bigger club" they are immediately called up just adds to the feeling that playing here bad for your Scotland career.

I also notice that Stevie Hammell is listed as being a Hearts player, with regard to when he picked up his cap, in the "Wee Red Book"- what a crock of sh*te.

I discussed something along these lines with the idiotic panel that make up the Clyde-H*n Phone In. Something along the lines of Old Firm buy in foreign rejects/duds and relegate home grown players to the bench, yet these players, now used in bit-part roles, still get picked for Scotland before 'better suited' players from the smaller teams. They're response was of the typically non-sensical nature you'd expect from ex-OF players and journos who would be out of a job if it wasn't for the OF.

I disagree re Hammell in the sense that I don't think he's good enough to play for Scotland (he has the complete inability to play a simple pass with his right foot when required and stops forward movements as a result; and he isn't really all that as a defender in the tackling sense). BUT he is a FAR better player overall than Broadfoot, so if that nugget can get in the squad it begs lots of questions.

Reynolds should be in the squad at least, if not the starting line-up. He's been solid and has gradually improved in ability and experience/decision making over the years. If he moved to Wigan or Swansea etc, he would be in the squad in an instant.

Lasley... meh.... I like him TBH, but his terrier like enthusiasm wouldn't cut it at the higher levels demanded of an international. I could run about and chop away as much as him but it wouldn't get me a place in the team.

All IMO of course :tumbleweed:

A lot of crap in the first post if you ask me.

Like has been said Reynolds isn't as good as Berra or McManus, yet. However, he does offer something diffrent in his pace. I would have him in the squad maybe, definately for the next friendly, but nowhere near starting 11 at present.

McCormack will have his chance in the future, of no doubt I'm sure. Good player and offers a spark similar to McFadden, Maloney, etc. He's still young, so predict he will be key in a few years.

Clarkson is not good enough to play for Scotland. Simple as. He's behind about 10 guys in my eyes, although I'd take him before Kyle.

Hammell's chances of a call-up have been an gone. He is a consistent SPL full back. In his day Calum Davidson was a good player, and Naismith was one of the best full-backs I've ever seen for Scotland. Now we have Wallace and Dixon coming through, and Naismith is still in the picture, along with Whittaker who can play there.

As for Lasley, no chance! Our midfield is our strongest asset and he is way behind many of the players in the squad. Robson is far better than Lasley, as is Brown, Hartley, McCulloch, Fletcher, Ferguson (if he ever comes back), Dorrans, Adam, etc, ect. I like Lasley, he plays with heart of his sleave, but he is no more than an average SPL player. As a Scotland fan, I'd be angry if Levein called up Lasley.

Agree with Lobby regarding Hammell!

Althought it's funny hearing the criticism of Levein regards to picking Old Firm players. He's dropped one of our best fit goalkeepers who currently at Rangers and I believe, without checking their is only one Celtic player in the Squad - if this play for Old Firm play for Scotland was true, then Mulgrew would be in the squad, and unless it has changed this afternoon Mulgrew is not in the Squad?

Was Mulgrew playing on Sunday?

Did any of the team that finished second and third in the early 90s get a cap for Scotland ? I was thinking of the likes of McKinnon, Lambert O Donnell etc!

I think Davie Cooper only ever won 1 cap whilst playing for Motherwell and that was coming on as a sub!

Oh aye and Lasley for Scotland :tumbleweed:

But he'd probably miss. Reynolds would usher her oot the back door out of harms way, there's the difference.

Marky's a fitba'player, Kenneth never will be.

Oh, I should point out, I completely agree with you, but Levein loves a battering ram of a centre half.

I suspect most teams of our standing will have similar grievances about the lack of call-ups over the years. Whether those grievances are justified or not are up for debate.

I think back to that period in the early-mid nineties when we had a good two to two-and-a-half years of sustained really good football and the closest we got to Motherwell players establishing themselves in national were Martin, McKinnon and Lambert. But between them they gained little more than a handful of caps whilst at Fir Park and some of them were in friendlies. It makes you wonder if they couldn't break through then when our reputation as a team was probably at its peak for however many number of years then will things ever change?

I think down the years though for me what is equally if not more annoying than perceived Scotland class players at Motherwell being overlooked, or taking an age to finally get a call-up is when the one month wonder at the Old Firm gets a call up. Guys like Mark Burchill for example who have a couple of good months in Celtic shirt and are fast-tracked into the team. Like Stephen Crainey who ironically having rebuilt his career somewhat and now finds himself in the English Premier League hasn't warranted a mention yet a good couple of months breaking into the Celtic side was enough to get him caps. More recently its not so long John Fleck was being touted for the national team and bypassing the Scotland U21's altogether after hardly reaching double figures in appearances with Rangers.

At the moment I think Reynolds might feel deserving of a shout. Sweden or the Czech Republic friendlies were his time though, with all the call-offs and the luxury to experiment rather than must win qualifiers.