Fir Park Stewards

chrissypmfc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no he never he replied with the answer to your question, he even quoted and highlighted the specific point his answer was to

Since this thread has turned into correcting grammar, I think you'll find if I was asking a question I would have used a question mark. If you are unsure what a question mark is, they look like this ?

For me, this just sums up the reason why I don't post on these boards as much as I used to. Be it fellow posters or more commonly 'Well players, the majority on here would rather have a dig or slate them rather than have a sensible conversation.

Lets be honest, yes it's in the forum rules that you cant use text language but all it takes is one quick PM to the poster in question to let him know that. On the other hand everyone knows the message he is trying to get across and I believe he makes a very valid point. The stewards at Fir Park, in particular the East Stand have been completely and utterly ridiculous recently. What should really be happening is the older generation of 'Well fans should be getting behind the poster in question and backing him up, helping get to the bottom of why his friend cant bring a beach ball, cant want wave a flag, cant even stand up clap his hands and sing a Motherwell song from time to time.

Scottish football is dying on its arse, attendances are dropping, gate prices are going up and any kind of atmosphere is almost non-existent. It's time like these were we should be together as one to try and keep the game alive.

I read a very interesting post on another forum regarding younger kids coming to the football and the poster made the point that some of these kids spend more time watching the older kids waving the flags and singing the songs, hoping one day they can join in with the bigger kids. Football in general is an overall package, yes we are there firstly to watch 22 men play a game of football but there are other aspects which help shape the £20 ticket price and these need to be justified. Basically the point I am trying to make in this paragraph is whats going to make these kids want to come back to the football if they are being victimised by stewards from the off-start, if the fun is being taken away from them.

Come on, were all Motherwell fans, lets show a bit of spirit and unity eh?

Great post Dez. IMO the flags etc are getting taking off the fans is simply because the stewards being immature wee arseholes. There basically saying "You kept on letting off smoke bombs, now were not gonna let you support your team!"

Lets be honest, yes it's in the forum rules that you cant use text language but all it takes is one quick PM to the poster in question to let him know that. On the other hand everyone knows the message he is trying to get across and I believe he makes a very valid point. The stewards at Fir Park, in particular the East Stand have been completely and utterly ridiculous recently. What should really be happening is the older generation of 'Well fans should be getting behind the poster in question and backing him up, helping get to the bottom of why his friend cant bring a beach ball, cant want wave a flag, cant even stand up clap his hands and sing a Motherwell song from time to time.

Scottish football is dying on its arse, attendances are dropping, gate prices are going up and any kind of atmosphere is almost non-existent. It's time like these were we should be together as one to try and keep the game alive.

While this is undoubtedly true, is it anywhere near as important as the declining standards in education in this country? Standards that are so brilliantly depicted in the original post. I know we're here to discuss football, and Motherwell in particular, but how can you possibly criticise anyone for jumping on such a poor attempt at communication in any medium?

We should find out what school the guy goes/went to and pop round to give his English teacher a fucking good shoeing for this mess.

As an English teacher, I wholeheartedly agree with you, bigshinyhead! :lol:

Dee, you are right that there is too much slagging and bitching on here. You're correct when you suggest that we should unite together as a fan base and work together in dealing with issues such as hyper-sensitive stewarding.

However, the original poster cannot possibly expect to be taken seriously when communicating in the way he does.

For me, this just sums up the reason why I don't post on these boards as much as I used to.... Come on, were all Motherwell fans, lets show a bit of spirit and unity eh?

Good post Dee. I'd much rather read text language than foul language. Who knows - maybe text language is the future?

Anyhows the original poster has raised a valid issue, that deserves to be discussed. We should be encouraging open debate and new members on these Boards.

As an English teacher, I wholeheartedly agree with you, bigshinyhead! :notworthy:

Dee, you are right that there is too much slagging and bitching on here. You're correct when you suggest that we should unite together as a fan base and work together in dealing with issues such as hyper-sensitive stewarding.

However, the original poster cannot possibly expect to be taken seriously when communicating in the way he does.

True Stu!

The content of the post is bang on - of couse it is. There should be a safe / recognised standing area. Inflatables in the home or away end aren't gonna kill anybody. Hypersensitive stewarding is detracting from the atmosphere. There are huge double standards wrt to when the old firm come to town and they get away with murder. Smoke bombs are a bit naughty yadda yadda yadda. All well and good.

However the original post was too much of a gift horse not to take the opperchancity of a bit of fun. Plus it's been done to death

Apologies for that chrissyp

Aston Villa Director - "Over zealous stewards can destroy the atmosphere of the club as fast as poor play."

From the news story at the weekend here

Hopefully no-one has experienced anything as bad as that but the general points in the article are things every chairman in Scotland should be thinking about.

I'm sure the OP did raise a valid point but personally I couldn't tell because it was posted in gibberish. Surely the whole point of writing something is so that it can be read? It may be my fault for not being a hip kat and me no speaka da lingo but the point stands - it's illegible to a lot of folk and on a text-based forum, I'd say that's a relatively important point. IMO, IMHO, etc.

Anyway, fitba's dead and the stewards are implicated for aiding and abetting. Carry on.

Are the stewards employed by MFC or contracted by MFC?

That Aston Villa incident poor sod, the stewards should have helped him up and back over the wall and laughed it off!

There is one thing in the training of a lot of people in a lot of jobs that is sadly missing...being the use of common sense.

For me, this just sums up the reason why I don't post on these boards as much as I used to. Be it fellow posters or more commonly 'Well players, the majority on here would rather have a dig or slate them rather than have a sensible conversation.

Exactly the reason i stopped posting on here. Too many "regular posters" slating newbies for bringing up legitimate points but more than happy to have a 10 page discussion on mundane points brought up by other regulars. Glad im not the only one who noticed it.

Same here, i only started posting on here a few months ago but i dont really do it anymore cause of the abuse i got.

I said at the beginning of the season i wasn't to sure on Randolph and got abused (im glad i was wrong)

I thought we were all motherwell fans, surely we should look out for each other and not abuse each other?

Same here, i only started posting on here a few months ago but i dont really do it anymore cause of the abuse i got.

I said at the beginning of the season i wasn't to sure on Randolph and got abused (im glad i was wrong)

I thought we were all motherwell fans, surely we should look out for each other and not abuse each other?

Did you?

im just not a fan of him. i would rather have had Stuart Duff Or Sam Parkin, How can St Johnstone afford good players and St Mirren can and we cant.

I have faith in CB and Archie that they will bring in some good players but im not happy with Randolph only, i didn't like him in the games so far i think he's to slow coming off his line. Rhys Weston would have been a good buy but he would have cost a bit much in wages in guessing

The ups and downs of being a well fan!

Replies:

Randolph has been text book in everything he had to do so far - his kicking has been spot on. he hasn't been asked to do much as of yet, but i fail to see where we can start to moan about him already.

this will come in good time and we can all pile in - I canny wait!

Also we've spent something like £300K more than the two saints on our pitch over two seasons - which is a place to start on your first question

Mental!

You type like someone would speak when wired on coke!

To which you replied:

I've had a few cans of relentless today.

Im a bit hyper i guess :lol:

Other replies:

Spot on Diggle - I have a good feeling about the lad. From what I've seen, he looks to have all the attributes to excel for MFC. Expect him to have to do a little more in the way of saving shots tommorrow night.
Have to say I agree with this, he's had little to do in the game I saw, but what he did do he did competently. Looks to be very vocal and is building an understanding already with his fullbacks.

He's got some size of a heid right enough. :(

how can you judge randolph after 2 competitive games where hes had fuck all to do in either game.stuart duff is pish and would offer nothing to our squad and who are these good players that st mirren have signed that we couldny afford

Where's the abuse exactly? :evilgrin:

And why didn't you complain about it?

The new posters or the ones that see themselves as "outcasts" like to moan all day in the form of posts... but very rarely request anything be done about it or looked into.

Irritating.

my point right there.

And no that wasn't my point when i was saying against Randolph

How's it your point? I'm just merely defending the fact that you weren't "abused" - a silly word for someone typing on the internet for a start.

I've looked through your post history and that was the reference to randolph I found.

If you want me to look into it further then email me or PM me or any of the mod team and we'll look into it, and take action where appropriate, as we always do.

Discussing it on thread is not the way to do it.

And as regard the main point on this topic... text speak (to me anyway) is highly irritating at the best of times, and absolutely not needed when you have a full QWERTY keyboard in front of you. It makes it difficult to read and therefore causes folk to lose interest. Hence why we ask people not to do it.

Good post Dee. I'd much rather read text language than foul language. Who knows - maybe text language is the future?

Anyhows the original poster has raised a valid issue, that deserves to be discussed. We should be encouraging open debate and new members on these Boards.

Gaag, do you really think being a smartarse and bringing up all his previous posts makes a point or do you think it backs up my point of people not being hostile? That is a ridiculous way to deal with a poster who is clearly not happy and I severly doubt it's going to encourage him to continue to post on these boards. As the admin or whatever you for one should be showing a bit more support. As I've said and il say it again, were all 'Well fans.... Unity.

Gaag, do you really think being a smartarse and bringing up all his previous posts makes a point or do you think it backs up my point of people not being hostile? That is a ridiculous way to deal with a poster who is clearly not happy and I severly doubt it's going to encourage him to continue to post on these boards. As the admin or whatever you for one should be showing a bit more support. As I've said and il say it again, were all 'Well fans.... Unity.

He claimed to have been abused. He wasn't.

I asked him to contact me regarding any complaints he had. He hasn't.

If you want to continue talking about the standard or conduct of stewarding at Fir Park, then by all means do so. Otherwise the topic will be locked.

With respect to your first post Dee there are elements of truth, however on balance everyone knows there is an element of banter involved in anything posted on here. Yes some take it too far and some ignore the thread title and go off in tangents. At least three people are guilty of that here. What's important is we don't take anything to heart or personally as for most of us, most of the vitriolic stuff that is posted would never be said face to face, or at least if it was it would be more diplomatically put. The internet offers a certain degree of anonymity and consequently leads to a cyber-swagger.

I really hope the first poster thought he'd achieve a bit more credibility with his post and language used, unfortunately not all on here are 14 year old delinquents who find intelligence something to ridicule and not highlight in themselves. Not that intelligence is conveyed in being able or wanting to write in a legible way.

On examining his post, the beach ball incident was using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, it was out of proportion. You maybe surprised that I understand it is echoed by senior employees of the club. However look at it in context, we've had the fuzz breathing down the clubs neck due to the behaviour of some of those who sit at the South end of the East Stand. Flares and interlocking arms and facing away from the pitch gets the cops jumpy, that permeates down to the club and finally the stewards.

Think back over the past year .... items thrown onto the pitch from the East - ying, stewards patting down supporters at the turnstiles for 2-3 games afterwards - yang. Flares set off by an element of the Motherwell support - ying, zero tolerance behaviour of some stewards in the aftermath - yang.

You'll always get at least one jobsworth in a group that gets a power-trip from wearing a high-vis vest, that goes for blokes building motorways, cops, binmen or stewards. best not give them an easy excuse to go on that aforementioned power-trip

Ask yourself one question if you sit in that area ... do you want the MD spending a fair bit of her time fending off fines, placating the league and police or out trying to maximise commercial revenue that ultimately will be passed onto and invested in on-field talent?

Don't be surprised if initiatives are implemented in the months ahead to encourage atmosphere with an emphasis on that particular area of the East, but only if safety isn't compromised and the inhabitants don't take a mile when you give them an inch.

You do see the hypocrisy in your own post, don't you?

You complained that the original poster's point was being ignored by 'Well fans trying to make fun of him instead, yet no-one, including both you and I, in the last few posts are even discussing the stewards.

To defend Gaag, people hijacked this thread to complain about the forum. As administrator, he is more than entitled to attempt to defend it. A poster stated an instance of when he was, in his own words, "abused". Gaag decided to investigate (which any good admin/mod should do) the claim. He failed to see any "abuse" so asked the accuser to justify his claims. I don't see any issue with that.

I accept that I may have appeared a bit of a cock for my initial response back on page 1. I would argue, in my defence, that as an English teacher (genuinely) that it's very difficult for me to ignore such a misuse of our language. I'm not being pretentious - I happily use text speak when, well, texting. And then, I only use it in texts to people I know will be able to understand it. Yes, it would've taken two minutes to PM the original poster to inform him of the error of his/her ways. Yet, it would've taken him/her two minutes to consider that the majority of users on here do not use text language and a significant proportion would not be able to read it. (It would also only take two minutes for Gaag to put something about text language in the rules... :drinks: )

So, yeah, the stewards and their policies - what are we going to do about them?

Yes, it would've taken two minutes to PM the original poster to inform him of the error of his/her ways. Yet, it would've taken him/her two minutes to consider that the majority of users on here do not use text language and a significant proportion would not be able to read it.

(It would also only take two minutes for Gaag to put something about text language in the rules... :O )

So, yeah, the stewards and their policies - what are we going to do about them?

1. I did PM him about it :D

2. Duly noted and done :drinks:

3. Suggest the club and this Fans forum (if it still exists?) that LD put together do a full investigation into this and pinpoint areas where clarity is needed. Over zealous stewarding leads to annoyed young fans, which in turn leads them to do things they might not necessarily do in order to get it up the stewards, maybe?

I was just behind the wee fella that got his beach ball took off him and the steward just came up and took it from him. No explaination given or anything. The wee fella was about 14 or something. Seemed like the steward was taking liberties TBH.

All through the game, the stewards gave the young lads a hard time. One particular steward made a point of telling two or three rows of young lads to sit down constantly and then didn't utter a word to me... :drinks:

I can see where you're coming from Gaag with over-zealous stewards. But as mentioned elsewhere, give someone some hi-viz and they take a massive power trip!

Thing is, the fans, the club and the stewards need to work together to create a good atomsphere that's safe.