Anti-bigotry Lessons At Fir Park?

steelboy

SPL football stars are to be given anti-bigotry classes set up by the Catholic church.

Victims of sectarian abuse - including priests - will visit clubs to educate players and staff.

The church intends to write to all top-flight sides this week offering the new lessons.

It follows the departure of SFA referees' chief Hugh Dallas after he was accused of sending an offensive email on the day of the Pope's visit to Scotland in September.

Yesterday Catholic church spokesman Peter Kearney hailed the new unit, saying: "The time has come for a more specific approach. The one-size-fits-all model hasn't worked.

"If you want to tackle anti-Semitism you need to speak to Jewish people, if you want to tackle anti-Catholic attitudes you need to speak to Catholics."

He added: "Some of the existing education on anti-sectarianism is facile.

"One initiative I went to involved holding up a football shirt which was half-Celtic and half-Rangers.

"That is superficial and amounts to telling people to abandon their identity."

Celtic and Rangers are already involved in anti-sectarian schemes.

And Aberdeen have agreed to the classes after players Michael Paton and Zander Diamond sparked a row earlier this year by reportedly posting comments on Facebook insulting Protestants.

Last night Labour MSP Michael McMahon said: "The sectarian problem in Scotland is more insidious now than it's ever been."

what a load of shite. hopefully mfc tell them to gtf.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Kearney should be spending his time not over-reacting to emails and looking to abolish separate schooling. As long as a "them-and-us" mentality is fostered from a young age then you'll never rid it from our society.

If I was Leeann I'd tell them that we are already a non-sectarian club and we've been doing OK for the past 125 years, thanks very much.

"If you want to tackle anti-Semitism you need to speak to Jewish people, if you want to tackle anti-Catholic attitudes you need to speak to Catholics."

And if you want to tackle anti-british poppy hating tramps you need talk to the green brigade.

And if you want to tackle anti-british poppy hating tramps you need talk to the green brigade.

100% on the nose mjw, I was always told, best to get your own house in order before you go preaching to others.

At least the club get the general feeling about this from the support.

Unfortunately sectarianism is something that will probably blight Scotland forever. When all schools become non denominational, which they MUST, it doesn't stop bitter parents brainwashing their beliefs into their children. They children grow up hating Catholics/Prodestants for no reason other than they were told to & then they pass the same beliefs onto their children and the cycle goes on. It's not a problem limited to Scotland. The redneck American Nazi's are some of the worse. The hatred their children are brought up with means they have no chance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_Blue...American_duo%29

Time for the church to keep their noses to themselves because they just keep making things worse.

That old boot Cher got it spot on when she sung that tune about C****c...."Gipsy's, tramps, and thieves"

:evilgrin:

I'm not a bigot, that is just what most of them are....

ffs :blink: your having a laugh aren't you.

Read this and educate yourself on Gypsy religion before you make more of a fool of yourself. As your clearly not to well educated just go to the end of paragraph two to find the information your looking for.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/roma2.htm

If you want to tackle anti-Semitism you need to speak to Jewish people, if you want to tackle anti-Catholic attitudes you need to speak to Catholics."

Exactly. What a load of shite. You'd think that idiot Kearney would wind his neck in and crawl back under whatever rock he came from! His comments and blatant attempt to fan the flames were hardly backed up by anyone and yet he still comes out with more pish.

This is another example of the "everyone's against us" mentality that seems to be rife among the Celtic support. Who's going to sort them out?

We're constantly being told (and I agree) that football is nothing to do with religion then you have this clown coming out with this. Every club in the SPL should tell them to GTF.

Just out of interest, has the Steelmen Board been to anti-bigotry experience? I keep getting adverts to 'experience' the new Celtic strip! I'd rather not, frankly, as it appears to have much the same effect as a lobotomy.