Potential Ex Hibs Managers

CraigW

Hi there, Hibs fan here in peace, noticed you lot have been linked with a couple of our ex managers and thought I'd give you some information and opinions on them.

John Collins - has the potential to be a great manager but not in the SPL. At Hibs, he tried to completely reshape the club and change the training, diet and lifestyle of the players, this sort of approach has no chance of working with British players. Tactically he was excellent and he signed some very decent players. He always stated his ambition to make the club like how his old club Monaco was, for example training 9 till 5 every day and completely banning alcohol. Sad I know but this approach will never work in the modern day Scottish league and was doomed to fail from day one. Stay Away.

John Hughes - Big Yogi is some guy, a great character, really nice bubbly guy who will get on great with the players and build up a great team spirit. However, John Hughes is tactically clueless and apart from a good 5 month spell at Easter Road, the majority of his 16 months at Easter Road involved playing terrible football and some shocking results. A thing that angered a lot of Hibs fans was that Hughes had no plan B, would rarely make substitutions, and looked unable to change a game. Stay Away.

Interesting re Collins. I had heard some of that from other places and articles when he got ythe bullet.

In some ways, his ideas are sound, but as you say, unlikely to work in this country. Players doing a days work, every day ? Not fucking likely :blink:

Hi there, Hibs fan here in peace, noticed you lot have been linked with a couple of our ex managers and thought I'd give you some information and opinions on them.

John Collins - has the potential to be a great manager but not in the SPL. At Hibs, he tried to completely reshape the club and change the training, diet and lifestyle of the players, this sort of approach has no chance of working with British players. Tactically he was excellent and he signed some very decent players. He always stated his ambition to make the club like how his old club Monaco was, for example training 9 till 5 every day and completely banning alcohol. Sad I know but this approach will never work in the modern day Scottish league and was doomed to fail from day one.

Probably not, but if it is going to work anywhere in the SPL it will be at a club like ours, built around youngsters.

Gannon seemed to bring a similar philosophy but, if the stories are true, lacked the people skills. If Collins has those too he might just do a job.

Interesting re Collins. I had heard some of that from other places and articles when he got ythe bullet.

In some ways, his ideas are sound, but as you say, unlikely to work in this country. Players doing a days work, every day ? Not fucking likely :blink:

Exactly. No wonder football in this country is so fucked when you've got guys like Paul Le Guen being chased out of Ibrox by fat bastards like Kris Boyd for having the cheek to actually expect professional footballers to eat healthily.

Cheers for the info though CraigW, much appreciated. Personally, I would be very disappointed with John Hughes. He (along with the media) seems to have built this complete myth around him that his teams play exciting, attacking football and yet most Falkirk & Hibs fans will tell you it's utter nonsense.

John Collins is one that I wouldn't be overly disappointed with ahead of guys like Hughes, McPherson, Calderwood etc - but it would be a bit of a risk on our part I think.

Hopefully there's a few other surprise candidates to emerge over the next week or two. Gannon got the job ahead of Aidy Boothroyd and Lawrie Sanchez if memory serves, so there'll no doubt be a couple of names revealed soon that no one's mentioned yet.

John Collins - has the potential to be a great manager but not in the SPL. At Hibs, he tried to completely reshape the club and change the training, diet and lifestyle of the players, this sort of approach has no chance of working with British players. Tactically he was excellent and he signed some very decent players. He always stated his ambition to make the club like how his old club Monaco was, for example training 9 till 5 every day and completely banning alcohol. Sad I know but this approach will never work in the modern day Scottish league and was doomed to fail from day one. Stay Away.

Good info. Does sound a bit Gannonesque and but for a couple of players in the ointment who did not like getting told that they had a few things to learn, it just may have worked for Gannon at FirPark.

Unlike Hibs, I think that Motherwell probably have a bunch of players that may just buy into what Collins was preaching. Brown himself said how response the players were (should we chose to believe that amidst all the other pish) and we don't have in our squad the Riordans etc that would undermine that message.

John Boyle would buy it I am sure so it would remain to be seen if Collins actually applies for the job. For me it is worth the risk because the same old same old is taking the Scottish game nowhere.

Good info. Does sound a bit Gannonesque and but for a couple of players in the ointment who did not like getting told that they had a few things to learn, it just may have worked for Gannon at FirPark.

Unlike Hibs, I think that Motherwell probably have a bunch of players that may just buy into what Collins was preaching. Brown himself said how response the players were (should we chose to believe that amidst all the other pish) and we don't have in our squad the Riordans etc that would undermine that message.

John Boyle would buy it I am sure so it would remain to be seen if Collins actually applies for the job. For me it is worth the risk because the same old same old is taking the Scottish game nowhere.

I agree wholeheartedly. I was a big fan of Gannon. I felt a bit stupid thanks to the revelations after his removal from the club. I think Collins is or could be what Gannon wishes he was. I say go for it. I believe our players are a unique group, open to experimentation. I think we are in a position to experiment. We don't have expectant fans. If it goes wrong we are unlikely to be relegation fodder.

It's stick or twist and I say twist. Both Brown and Mghee left because they felt there was nothing more they could achieve with us. They were right, we have been punching above our weight and its been great, but in the name of enjoying the rollercoaster lets try something different.

Let's try John Collins.

training 9 till 5 every day and completely banning alcohol. Sad I know but this approach will never work in the modern day Scottish league and was doomed to fail from day one. Stay Away.

It’s a sad state of affairs that a professional footballer wouldn’t except working from 9 till 5 and cutting out the booze, in return for having a successful career.

John Collin's thinking might work @ FirPark, since our guys on the whole are younger so easier to mould. JC is along the lines of Paul Le Guen. Funny how all of Scotland thought he was rubbish when he said Charlie Adams was a class act and some players had too much power in the dressing room. And fergie & macgregor was booozers.

Not exatly wrong