Fao Leeann Dempster

dinnae-punt-it

This whole ten team SPL carry on has shown total contempt for the supporters, without the supporters there is no club. If this goes through with Motherwell FC's backing then the club wont be receiving another penny from me. No tickets, no shirts, no raffle tickets, nothing. I know im not the only one either.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm very suprised people feel so strongly about this.

is playing 9 teams 4 times so different from playing 6 teams 3 times plus 5 teams 4 times?

it's two less games and instead of playing accies and midden you play one more game against the teams who finish in the other half of the league from you.

I don't think most folk feel particularly strongly about the actual differences, or lack of, between the current setup and the proposed setup though.

I can only speak for myself obviously, but I'm just generally fed up with Scottish club football. Whether it's sitting watching absolutely honking games of football, being treated like a criminal on a train to Inverness, being threatened with ejection for standing up too long during a game, or just forking out a load of cash for all these fantastic perks of being a Scottish football fan, it all adds up to make being a Scottish football fan a generally depressing situation.

Football is just a form of entertainment. I go to the football to be entertained. Or, at least, I used to. Nowadays I go to the football out of habit because I have a season ticket. I still hold out some sort of hope that the entertainment will return, or there'll be enough bits and pieces of entertainment here and there to outweigh the dross, but if we completely blow the chance of restructuring on 10 teams playing each other 4 times, then I'm out. That's the problem for me - not the actual change itself, but the fact that it's a waste and that once this change is made we're guaranteed to be landed with it for about 10 years at least. Especially given the way in which the fans have been completely ignored.

That's my problem. Scottish football is shite and I'm hanging on in there with it just, but decreasing the entertainment and interest levels for the sake of money will almost certainly lead to me deciding to do something else with my Saturdays.

On a side note, I also don't buy the few comments on the other thread about how any boycott or protest shouldn't hurt Motherwell in the pocket as it's our job as fans to give them money. Fuck that. That's only one half of the deal. I pay my money to Motherwell as a 'Well fan, and Motherwell are supposed to be entertaining me. By decreasing my entertainment by thinking up, pushing for, and voting for a 10 team SPL, Motherwell are failing to meet their half of the contract, and I'll follow suit. As will a number of football fans all over Scotland.

I don't think most folk feel particularly strongly about the actual differences, or lack of, between the current setup and the proposed setup though.

I can only speak for myself obviously, but I'm just generally fed up with Scottish club football. Whether it's sitting watching absolutely honking games of football, being treated like a criminal on a train to Inverness, being threatened with ejection for standing up too long during a game, or just forking out a load of cash for all these fantastic perks of being a Scottish football fan, it all adds up to make being a Scottish football fan a generally depressing situation.

Football is just a form of entertainment. I go to the football to be entertained. Or, at least, I used to. Nowadays I go to the football out of habit because I have a season ticket. I still hold out some sort of hope that the entertainment will return, or there'll be enough bits and pieces of entertainment here and there to outweigh the dross, but if we completely blow the chance of restructuring on 10 teams playing each other 4 times, then I'm out. That's the problem for me - not the actual change itself, but the fact that it's a waste and that once this change is made we're guaranteed to be landed with it for about 10 years at least. Especially given the way in which the fans have been completely ignored.

That's my problem. Scottish football is shite and I'm hanging on in there with it just, but decreasing the entertainment and interest levels for the sake of money will almost certainly lead to me deciding to do something else with my Saturdays.

On a side note, I also don't buy the few comments on the other thread about how any boycott or protest shouldn't hurt Motherwell in the pocket as it's our job as fans to give them money. Fuck that. That's only one half of the deal. I pay my money to Motherwell as a 'Well fan, and Motherwell are supposed to be entertaining me. By decreasing my entertainment by thinking up, pushing for, and voting for a 10 team SPL, Motherwell are failing to meet their half of the contract, and I'll follow suit. As will a number of football fans all over Scotland.

Bang on the money.

Leeann,

If we are subjected to a 10 team SPL thanks to Motherwell not only voting for it, but being a part of the steering group which actually brought it to the table, then you can shove your season ticket and I'll be back at Fir Park if Blantyre Vics ever draw them in the Scottish Cup.

Cheers,

Jay

+1 though sub the vics with Carluke Rovers

This whole ten team SPL carry on has shown total contempt for the supporters, without the supporters there is no club. If this goes through with Motherwell FC's backing then the club wont be receiving another penny from me. No tickets, no shirts, no raffle tickets, nothing. I know im not the only one either.

Absolutley spot on. If this 10 team SPL does go through then I won't be back

Absolutley spot on. If this 10 team SPL does go through then I won't be back

Leeann,

If we are subjected to a 10 team SPL thanks to Motherwell not only voting for it, but being a part of the steering group which actually brought it to the table, then you can shove your season ticket and I'll be back at Fir Park if Blantyre Vics ever draw them in the Scottish Cup.

Cheers,

Jay

+1 though sub the vics with Carluke Rovers

How about you all fuck off the now and take your money and self importance with you

No, that was a stupid idea too - that's why we want to see an expanded league.

the league isn't going to be expanded. there's far too many reasons why it can't happen.

i also don't buy the argument that dundee/falkirk/raith rovers/qots/dunfermline/partick are some kind of panacea for the spl. these teams would as bad if not worse than st mirren just now, the spl is short on quality right now diluting it further isn't the answer. i look forward to the games against aberdeen, hearts, hibs and united because they're games where both teams are looking to win and fairly even, i enjoy playing 18+ games against the city clubs.

jay - it's okay saying that you wouldn't mind every club losing £1 million but hearts, rangers, killie, united and aberdeen have massive amounts of debt and it might not even be legal for them to vote through a change that reduces their income.

i also don't buy the argument that dundee/falkirk/raith rovers/qots/dunfermline/partick are some kind of panacea for the spl. these teams would as bad if not worse than st mirren just now, the spl is short on quality right now

See, you're falling into the same, short-term thinking. Right now, the level across the board is short on quality. Increasing the number of teams might not improve the quality overnight, but stands a chance of allowing teams to develop better players without every game being a relegation dogfight.

diluting it further isn't the answer.
But relegating 20% of the league every season will increase quality exactly how?

the league isn't going to be expanded. there's far too many reasons why it can't happen.

i also don't buy the argument that dundee/falkirk/raith rovers/qots/dunfermline/partick are some kind of panacea for the spl. these teams would as bad if not worse than st mirren just now, the spl is short on quality right now diluting it further isn't the answer. i look forward to the games against aberdeen, hearts, hibs and united because they're games where both teams are looking to win and fairly even, i enjoy playing 18+ games against the city clubs.

jay - it's okay saying that you wouldn't mind every club losing £1 million but hearts, rangers, killie, united and aberdeen have massive amounts of debt and it might not even be legal for them to vote through a change that reduces their income.

Thats a good legal point but also remember that there is every possible chance that debt will drive at least one of these clubs out of business in the next 5 or 10 years or sooner as the product/entertainment becomes devalued and it loses even more of its paying audience.

TV and greed has killed the game of the people.

Instead of TV money being ploughed back to develope new young talent, better conditions and generally a better and cheaper product, the game is being bled dry and is no longer financially viable to the common punter.

The football fan is being taken for a ride, with no thought on his/her behalf.

Yer just a number and if your blind loyal, you'll take what yer served and like it!

Enough's enough.

Watched long enough to see the pitfalls of different set ups and meaningless games over the years, but, the 10 team league did nothing to revolutionise our great game.

In fact, in the period from 1975, we have went backwards nationally and domestically and float aimlessly in the backwaters of football.

Fear of relegation and the financial plunge will have us watching uninspiring and safety first football with fewer and fewer talents emerging.

Scottish fitba is the new dodo.

Scary how then that two of those clubs have said they are unlikely to vote for this new super-duper 10 team league. Such a must financially, two clubs that need money badly are saying no :evilgrin:

How about you all fuck off the now and take your money and your refusal to just be a blind follower regardless of the shite you're served up

Corrected that for you. :evilgrin:

It has absolutely nothing to do with "self importance". It has to do with reaching a point where you're no longer willing to shell out cash to be treating like shite and provided with absolutely dire football in a league setup purely to line the pockets of a chosen few. If you're happy to do so, batter in.

It also has to do with the football clubs who are kept alive by the fans completely ignoring the views of those fans in order to quench their thirst for as much cash as possible.

Aye, you could be right. And let's be honest, even if it was legal - none of the clubs would ever vote for a setup that loses £1m, even if it was guaranteed to rapidly increase entertainment levels and benefit our domestic game long-term (I'm not claiming it would, but they wouldn't vote for it regardless). It's all about making shite short-term changes in a bid to keep making as much money as possible. Our opinions don't matter. We're simply the fools who turn up and fill their pockets. They know that there are enough football fans willing to put up with anything that they can make drastic unpopular decisions like this and still make money.

See, you're falling into the same, short-term thinking. Right now, the level across the board is short on quality. Increasing the number of teams might not improve the quality overnight, but stands a chance of allowing teams to develop better players without every game being a relegation dogfight.

But relegating 20% of the league every season will increase quality exactly how?

what will increase quality is clubs having money to resign their better players and bring in some half decent signings. look at the difference porter and hughes made to us, money makes the difference. obviously we wouldn't want to go back to the mental days of ten years ago but it would be good to have some strong sides in the league rather than the embarassing sight of teams scraping around for players.

the quality of young player being brought through has little to do with the quality of the league as it's so easy for young players to leave to anywhere with more money. obviously transfer fees help but it's a lottery.

i don't know if relegating 20% of teams would increase quality but it would certainly increase competition.

How about you all fuck off the now and take your money and self importance with you

Having been watching the team for the last 20 years home and away i think i am entitled to say enough is enough. Vote for real change not to re-arrange the deckchairs on the titanic complete lack of bottle from the teams in the SPL not just our own

Scary how then that two of those clubs have said they are unlikely to vote for this new super-duper 10 team league. Such a must financially, two clubs that need money badly are saying no :evilgrin:

we were talking about expansion which jay said would cost each team £1m.

it doesn't seem that there is much to be gained financially from going to ten teams and any increase in revenue would have to be weighed against increased risk of relegation.

we were talking about expansion which jay said would cost each team £1m.

it doesn't seem that there is much to be gained financially from going to ten teams and any increase in revenue would have to be weighed against increased risk of relegation.

The reasons SPL ten/ten is the one they went for according to the party line is because it is the one that makes most financial sense. Apart from the fact now Dundee United, Hearts and I believe Kilmarnock (all three up shit creek financially) don't see it that way, and think it is a joke and none of the proposals will bring any new competitiveness to the Scottish Game. Heard ICT may not back it either....

If true, then we're saved until the Old Firm can bring some sort of new bribe to the table. Thank fuck for the Jambos, Arabs and Killie.... :evilgrin:

i'd rather stick with 12 as i quite like the split and if we get accies relegated and dunfermline up it would be a pretty strong league.

the main reason for the reform seems to be to cut off the bottom feeders and stop the likes of east stirling getting money from the spl payment, the irn bru and alba sponsorship and the cis cup. that money would then be used to fund spl2. the argument would be that we're too small a country for 42 senior teams and that clubs like montrose should automatically be entitled to a share of the pie.

the other benefits (from their point of view) would be ending the moaning about fixtures that goes on every year and having a slightly better product for the tv companies.

There will be no better product if this goes through, we are at the stage now where the clubs need to decide if they go with TV or take the fans with them. Difficult to see how they can continue having both. The amount of fans already voting with their feet should be ringing the alarm bells but if this is all they can think of to stop the rot then they are well and truly fucked. We all have opinions, no-one has all the answers but it comes down to what those running our clubs want from here on in. Do you want fans attending games or do you want the TV money? It is one or the other now.

No reply from Leeann as yet and maybe she would feel that it was not appropriate to reply at the moment on a fans forum however if Leeann/Flow or anyone else from the club were to read the boards over these last few days it must surely be of major concern to them the strength of feeling against a 10 team league. I don't think I can remember a time when so many die hard fans were thinking of packing it in.

To read these boards and then continue to vote for a 10 team league would seem crazy (unless empty stadiums is still financially viable). I still think that this is a problem that cannot be solved whilst the OF stay in Scotland so I do not envy the people who are in charge of trying to save Scottish Football.

I don't think I can remember a time when so many die hard fans were thinking of packing it in.

I can't remember a time when the fans of Scottish football were so united in their stance. Fans from Motherwell, Hibs, Hearts, Celtic, Rangers and ICT that I have seen on forums are against it.

But we know fuck all, we're just the paying customer :evilgrin: