Enforced Changes Today

LadywellToi

This isn't a criticism of the new manager or the caretaker. It's just to stimulate a debate and see how opinions lie among the support.

Everyone is universally applauding the change back to the same starting line up and formation that saw us do so well in the European games/first few weeks of the league. Combine that with the universal lacklustre performances since we played St. Johnstone, it was refreshing to see some fluidity and passion again.

There is no doubt that Murphy and Sutton are working well and complimenting each other, the midfield look a little more solid, granted the defence hints often that its very close to a car crash, however that's 2 clean sheets now.

With all the plaudits and back slapping getting thrown about, how many changes would we have witnessed today in personnel, positioning and tactics if Gow and Blackman has been secured up until May?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for the performance today praise is due.

Best i've seen motherwell play this season it was professional the guys went about there business well no team in the land will make it through 90 mins without a few hiccupps the future is bright.

I look at that bench today and keep thinking that if reynolds does go we'll have a ready made replacement in hutchinson.

He's a big bit of a boy and a goalscoring threat i can't wait to see him in a well jersey again!!

His after match thoughts on the well website were encouraging as well he's already said he wants to play people in there strongest positions and to enable them to do that he is looking to strengthen left midfield long long overdue!!!

I'm impressed but not getting carried away today was a potential banana skin but 4 goals and a clean sheet later we are in the next round so glad gow and blackman are gone we as a club need guys who play for the jersey it is the route of our succcess we can have all the talent in the world but if you don't work for the jersey u might as well not even lace up your boots!!!

Dont really see the changes as "enforced"...

SM let Gow go because he thought we had better options already in the squad and wanted to use the money to bring in some variety and backup - which we need to compete in the league!

He lined up a team and sent them out in their best positions with instructions to pass the ball on the ground and thru the team. Liked the fact he was on the touchline keeping the momentum going and the fact we could also take the ball down either wing with ease or thru the middle.

Dundee would have fancied their chances against us today and at home based on current form, were probably the favourites to go through so overall we should be pleased with not just the result but also how we achieved it. So let the manager have the plaudits for today and lets take one game at a time.

Mon the Well.........

I've always thought Murphy and Sutton have looked good upfront together. Even in the games last season where Jutkiewicz was injured, I thought they complemented each other brillianty. If Murphy plays on the shoulder of the last defender, he will score goals. I think we are forgetting the impact Blackman had, he scored a lot of important goals, take those out and we would have lost a fair amount of points this season, even if he had gone a bit stale towards the end.

I think Brown used what little money he had in the summer quite badly to be honest. Randolph was obviously a necessity and a good signing, but signing Gow, Blackman and Casagolda was a bit baffling considering we already had three strikers in the squad. One of the three would have sufficed along with a wide man.

Jenno being available again and going straight back into the starting line up was a no brainer.

Hateley at right back in most people's opinion is his best position.

Sutton and Murhp up front is also a proven combination.

Could these changes ( with the exception of Jenno ) not have been made by the caretaker boss in previous games, as he would have known the players capabilities better than the new gaffer?

If, and its a big hypothetical "if" McCall didn't have any control over releasing Gow and Blackman (i.e. they were signed until May) would they have featured today, despite a loss in form of both and other players being used out of position to accommodate them?

Also, if Saunders was fit, would we have seen Hateley in Midfield over Fitzpatrick?

What I'm saying is that most fans would have picked the same starting line up given the squad available. It just happens the job was made very easy for the management due to the injury (Saunders) and players leaving the team earlier in the week. The starting 11 are probably our strongest 11 players in the pool.

A good first win for the new boss. If he's watched Motherwell at all this season he'll have known Murphy is best as a striker and Hateley as a right back, if not as seems likely then circumstances fell quite nicely for him and he should acknowledge the following:

1. Sutton and Murphy are actually quite an effective strikeforce. Have been for the last year but seldom given the chance. Whilst Blackmans goal record was pretty good, I reckon Murphy would have scored just as many if played in the right position by auld whitshisname.

2. Hateley is more effective at right back and indeed is far more assured than Saunders.

3. Dundee were utter shite!

We'll see what happens with McCall. At the very least hopefully he'll get the back of his hair cut soon or take to wearing a hat. There's no place in football for long middle partings or gingers.

We'll see what happens with McCall. At the very least hopefully he'll get the back of his hair cut soon or take to wearing a hat. There's no place in football for long middle partings or gingers.

Dundee were rotten and their crazy tackling combined with ironic cheers whenever they got a free kick reminded me of the Hearts game when we felt hard done by and started to lose the plot.

Griffiths is a wee nyaff, who no doubt has something in the same way Templeton has (don't think he'll reach the same heights though). His attitude and conduct on the park will always make the opposition fans hate him.

As for that haircut, it appears there is no change to the flouncy mop that bounced along against Costa Rica in Italia 90, even bald guys have changed their do a few time in the last 20 years.

A good first win for the new boss. If he's watched Motherwell at all this season he'll have known Murphy is best as a striker and Hateley as a right back, if not as seems likely then circumstances fell quite nicely for him and he should acknowledge the following:

1. Sutton and Murphy are actually quite an effective strikeforce. Have been for the last year but seldom given the chance. Whilst Blackmans goal record was pretty good, I reckon Murphy would have scored just as many if played in the right position by auld whitshisname.

2. Hateley is more effective at right back and indeed is far more assured than Saunders.

3. Dundee were utter shite!

And a little bit desperate!

As for that haircut, it appears there is no change to the flouncy mop that bounced along against Costa Rica in Italia 90, even bald guys have changed their do a few time in the last 20 years.

On the subject of dodgy haircuts, Stuart mcCalls has not changed in the last 20 years :lol:

Without wishing to open old wound from previous threads.

The formation and line-up on saturday was refreshing and productive. A fair bit more clinical looking up-front.

A bit men against boys at times and that was brilliant to see.

Thing is though that line up / approach / formation has been available at the club for some time under some of the previous managers and interim managers who knew (or know) the playing squad and what we have available to us far more than Stuart McCall does.

I hope it's the catalyst to add some players to supplement a great core squad with some great young players coming through.

This isn't a criticism of the new manager or the caretaker. It's just to stimulate a debate and see how opinions lie among the support.

Everyone is universally applauding the change back to the same starting line up and formation that saw us do so well in the European games/first few weeks of the league. Combine that with the universal lacklustre performances since we played St. Johnstone, it was refreshing to see some fluidity and passion again.

There is no doubt that Murphy and Sutton are working well and complimenting each other, the midfield look a little more solid, granted the defence hints often that its very close to a car crash, however that's 2 clean sheets now.

With all the plaudits and back slapping getting thrown about, how many changes would we have witnessed today in personnel, positioning and tactics if Gow and Blackman has been secured up until May?

The thing is im glad's Gow has left and even though im a big fan of his im glad Blackman wasn't here for a game ive always been a big fan of Sutton and Murphy great strike force that complament each other

A bit worried about Fitzpatrick playing i hardly noticed him during the game i kept forgetting he was there he never really done anything in my opinion but it was either going to be him or jamie pollok on left wing

Trying to avoid what's been said already.

I suspect Stuart McCall selected Fitzpatrick to see what he's made of. I hope he noted a truely miserable performance. By my reckoning, he completed only one successful pass - a simple 5 yard sideways and made one tackle. Any other involvement, he lost possession and generally looked totally out of his depth. I thought Hammell and Jennings always looked for anyone else but Fitzy to make a pass to.

Loyalty and commitment he may have - but Fitzy simply isn't up to it. Let him go to the lower leagues now.

a bit harsh on fitzpatrick i think

yes he misplaced some passes yday, but several players were guilty of that. its just that some appear to notice it more when its him

i agree that he aint no world beater, but he does a job

he does alot of dirty work, that no one else wants to do - and that goes unnoticed by some

and on the subject of some fans who were majorly critical of big John - i hope you are eating your words!!!! :lol:

a bit harsh on fitzpatrick i think

yes he misplaced some passes yday, but several players were guilty of that. its just that some appear to notice it more when its him

i agree that he aint no world beater, but he does a job

he does alot of dirty work, that no one else wants to do - and that goes unnoticed by some

and on the subject of some fans who were majorly critical of big John - i hope you are eating your words!!!! :lol:

Im soooooo sorry guys but i hate that phrase, What does Fitzpatrick do that Lasley doesn't do? or Jennings doesn't do?

i agree he's a great squad player but at one point he passed to the left thinking Hammy would be there and it went out for a throw in, now that could be hammy's fault or not but you at least should look before you make a pass.

Another Subpar performance from the guy i think he's used up his 9 lifes at Motherwell anyway with constantly getting extentions and never performing

Thought Fitz done OK yesterday, but overall what I would say is that with that formation we looked a helluva lot more solid than in recent weeks. The midfield 3 complimented each other well and covered for one another in a more effective way than when we have played with Murphy isolated on teh left and Humphrey isolated on the right, with the waste of space (cannae rememeber his name again) trying to look fancy 'in the hole'.

Another couple of things that I felt were proven yesterday was that Sutton and Murphy are strikers, neither are left-midfielders, Murphy playing behind Sutton is the way to go with Humphery on the right and a midfield 3 protecting the back four but also supplementing the attack.

Hately's best position is right-back, he skooshed the game yesterday and I'd be inclined to leave him there for the forseeable and allow Saunders the opportunity to fight it out with Hutchison and Page for the soon-to-be-vacated centre-half role, and potentially 2 if Craggs hangs up his boots at the end of the season.

Any money we have available should be used to find a left-sided midfielder, and a striker as I'm not convinced that McHugh or Casa are the answer re back-up for Murphy and Sutton.

Hately's best position is right-back, he skooshed the game yesterday and I'd be inclined to leave him there for the forseeable and allow Saunders the opportunity to fight it out with Hutchison and Page for the soon-to-be-vacated centre-half role, and potentially 2 if Craggs hangs up his boots at the end of the season.

+1

Im soooooo sorry guys but i hate that phrase, What does Fitzpatrick do that Lasley doesn't do? or Jennings doesn't do?

i agree he's a great squad player but at one point he passed to the left thinking Hammy would be there and it went out for a throw in, now that could be hammy's fault or not but you at least should look before you make a pass.

Another Subpar performance from the guy i think he's used up his 9 lifes at Motherwell anyway with constantly getting extentions and never performing

:lol: Eh? That's porridge dribbling that is.

So, like others, no matter how the lad performs you'll find criticism... Bravo. With regards comparison as to what the housewives choice and Jennings do - it's about how the midfield unit perform no? For that young Fitzpatrick offers a balance that we've lacked for a long, long time. Great if possible mind, but, left side of midfield isn't all about attacking the opposing right hand side and whipping in crosses with pinpoint accuracy.

You've mentioned the stray pass in the first half. Were you aware he wasn't given a call? Hammell, one of our most consistent over the last year even eclipsed his shit Hamilton Accies display, should have progressed from his standing spot.

Used up 9 lives? A valuable squad player, better quality replacement would be expected to hit first eleven. Budget constraints, who would you find as an alternative?

:lol: Eh? That's porridge dribbling that is.

So, like others, no matter how the lad performs you'll find criticism... Bravo. With regards comparison as to what the housewives choice and Jennings do - it's about how the midfield unit perform no? For that young Fitzpatrick offers a balance that we've lacked for a long, long time. Great if possible mind, but, left side of midfield isn't all about attacking the opposing right hand side and whipping in crosses with pinpoint accuracy.

You've mentioned the stray pass in the first half. Were you aware he wasn't given a call? Hammell, one of our most consistent over the last year even eclipsed his shit Hamilton Accies display, should have progressed from his standing spot.

Used up 9 lives? A valuable squad player, better quality replacement would be expected to hit first eleven. Budget constraints, who would you find as an alternative?

Well i did actually state i think he's a great squad player. can play a number of positions down the left and centre. And also if you look i did say it could have been hammy's fault for that stray pass im not giving all the blame on him for that one.

Your right in what you say, if you've seen him play and seen things you like and think he's a valuable player for the team then that's fine your entitled to your opinion and i am as well. And in my opinion i have yet to see something since the Semi final goal that i really like about the guy.

As to who i would rather have, im afraid i cant answer as i dont know the wages available or who would be interested in joining that's Mr McCall's job and not mine

Eh, that can work both ways. Although I thought Fizzy played very well yesterday if he wasn't given a call it was an even dafter pass than I thought. There was no danger, and there was no need for a shout as there was no "man on" so it was a poor pass because, for once Hammell decided not to move from his left back position - instead Fizzy had all the time in the world to look up and even if he wanted to bring the ball forward.

There is nothing in it to say Hammell should have progressed at that very moment, when you have a left back, a left midfielder and a striker who you can tell has been told to come wide left at any opportunity.

Well i did actually state i think he's a great squad player. can play a number of positions down the left and centre. And also if you look i did say it could have been hammy's fault for that stray pass im not giving all the blame on him for that one.

Your right in what you say, if you've seen him play and seen things you like and think he's a valuable player for the team then that's fine your entitled to your opinion and i am as well. And in my opinion i have yet to see something since the Semi final goal that i really like about the guy.

As to who i would rather have, im afraid i cant answer as i dont know the wages available or who would be interested in joining that's Mr McCall's job and not mine

Sorry i forgot to mention i would like to see Jamie Pollok down the left side a few times Gordon Young thinks very highly of the man and he is being touted as a big player in the future so i would be interested in seeing him getting more time

Eh, that can work both ways. Although I thought Fizzy played very well yesterday if he wasn't given a call it was an even dafter pass than I thought. There was no danger, and there was no need for a shout as there was no "man on" so it was a poor pass because, for once Hammell decided not to move from his left back position - instead Fizzy had all the time in the world to look up and even if he wanted to bring the ball forward.

There is nothing in it to say Hammell should have progressed at that very moment, when you have a left back, a left midfielder and a striker who you can tell has been told to come wide left at any opportunity.

Im glad someone agrees, It could have been match rust and he could have just got a panic on and not known what to do (it happens to me all the time at 5's haha) but to me it summed him up. No matter how my opinion comes across i do like the guy but i just dont think we should keep him longer. He will improve with first team games and he wont get that in Motherwell i feel and his wage could be used to bring someone else in who can cement that left wing down as their own

Can't compare Jamie Pollock and Fitzpatrick. From what I have seen Pollock is more of a winger. We really don't need a winger, nor do I buy this crap of needing a left midfielder while we have Fizzy. I think if we get a left winger in the Humphrey mould we could suffer because Murphy would be stuck more centre and although Murphy is never a left winger, he is one of these strikers that is more effective if given the right to roam to the wing, especially the left, like he did most of yesterday - and he does for Scotland ( a little like Villa for Barcelona/Spain).

Fizzy brings a natural balance, and allows Lasley to get forward more, not to mention natural cover for Hammell - something Hammell has not had in a very long time (and Reynolds when he goes on one of his daft runs). I'm unsure a winger could do such a thing.