Entrance Prices

biggayal0

The real equation is value for money for the fan. This can vary according to disposable income but the present formula is not attractive to many and the club need to think hard about any initiative that will restore the fans perception that they are getting a good deal. We know from our successes recently that there are loads of potential 'Well fans out there prepared to pay for glamour games. Finding the right price to attract them more often is the way forward.

I won't hold my breath.

Flipside of that though and something you'd have to watch, is the fact that I paid a couple of hundred quid-odd for my season ticket...so thats whats keeping me going to games at the moment. I dont want to waste the money that i've paid out. If it had been free/cheap enough that it didn't matter too much, I probably wouldn't be bothering.

If you had paid only £100 or so for your season ticket you wouldn't bother going to the games?

Even in my own state of mind right now about Motherwell and the SPL (not good if you haven't reas my posts!) come the summer when I am kicking around itching my baws, bored, if Motherwell offered me a Season ticket for £99 I would take it and pop along to most of the games just because. I know a couple of mates who would sling Motherwell £99 easy just for something to do that don't go the now. My da would take one, so would my sister. There's £500 from my one little example. AS it stands next season it will be £0 or perhaps a couple of games from us. Think about how many other examples every single Motherwell fan no doubt has?

+ 1

I never had a season ticket for a few years due to work but when i could i would go to the games and any away game i could make. And this season i bought my season ticket back at my old seat.

You know what, i wish i never bothered. If i took my claret & amber tinted glasses off i would see how shite scottish football is and i have other stuff to spend my money on like tattoo's or botched operations, they seem like things that would be better value than what we have right now

Rather than winge about high ticket prices and value for money, can I ask a genuine question? How is German football financed?

The Bundeslige attracts huge gates and fans pay only a fraction of what we pay in Scotland. My son met a Bayern Munich fan who pays around €150 for his season ticket - that includes 6 Champions League games!

I appreciate Germany is a much larger country than Scotland, but nevertheless, I think we are talking about a relevant equation here. Lower prices leads to larger gates, and enables clubs to flourish.

Does anyone know what the situation is like in smaller European countries like Holland and Belgium?

Everyone shares the same belief that we need to market Scottish football effectively; increase attendances and attract revenue from TV. So rather than moaning about the status quo and making do with what we have got, I advocate researching what works better elsewhere, and trying it here.

Rather than winge about high ticket prices and value for money, can I ask a genuine question? How is German football financed?

The Bundeslige attracts huge gates and fans pay only a fraction of what we pay in Scotland. My son met a Bayern Munich fan who pays around €150 for his season ticket - that includes 6 Champions League games!

I appreciate Germany is a much larger country than Scotland, but nevertheless, I think we are talking about a relevant equation here. Lower prices leads to larger gates, and enables clubs to flourish.

Does anyone know what the situation is like in smaller European countries like Holland and Belgium?

Everyone shares the same belief that we need to market Scottish football effectively; increase attendances and attract revenue from TV. So rather than moaning about the status quo and making do with what we have got, I advocate researching what works better elsewhere, and trying it here.

I think it was because Germany took a hit, Germany dropped their prices first in all games so more fans showed up and more fans paying less money still generated more income so teams could be invested more which helped them win things and more fans came to the games. so they all had to start building 50 thousand odd seater stadiums to support them.

also because their not stuck in the dinosaur age, i was in Germany last year for Bayern winning the league and the stadium was amazing! they had beer, guys walking about with food. We had a guy show us to our seats you were allowed to sing, the standing sections help a lot and give it a better atmosphere

I think it was because Germany took a hit, Germany dropped their prices first in all games so more fans showed up and more fans paying less money still generated more income so teams could be invested more which helped them win things and more fans came to the games. so they all had to start building 50 thousand odd seater stadiums to support them.

also because their not stuck in the dinosaur age, i was in Germany last year for Bayern winning the league and the stadium was amazing! they had beer, guys walking about with food. We had a guy show us to our seats you were allowed to sing, the standing sections help a lot and give it a better atmosphere

Im sure Ze Germans wanted to extend the half time break a couple of seasons ago to 20 minute to capatalise on the revenue made from beer and food !!!!

On that note mates have been to Bundesliga games in the last year Hertha Berlin /Entracht Frankfurt tikests were about £15 and beer and drinks were reasonable/fair price compared to the overpriced SPL prices !!!!

Im sure Ze Germans wanted to extend the half time break a couple of seasons ago to 20 minute to capatalise on the revenue made from beer and food !!!!

On that note mate have been to Bundesliga games in the last year Hertha Berlin /Entracht Frankfurt tikests were about £15 and beer and drinks were reasonable/fair price compared to the overpriced SPL prices !!!!

I know the prices are dirt cheap, and the stadiums are all so clean and tidy, it all started because they cut their prices, they realised they need to compete with other things like people goin to the cinema, or shopping or going and getting steamin.

I think the SPL thinks there is no rival to them, their an entertainment that we pay to go see. if you bought a really shit movie you would maybe watch it once but never again

I know the prices are dirt cheap, and the stadiums are all so clean and tidy, it all started because they cut their prices, they realised they need to compete with other things like people goin to the cinema, or shopping or going and getting steamin.

I think the SPL thinks there is no rival to them, their an entertainment that we pay to go see. if you bought a really shit movie you would maybe watch it once but never again

It has more to do with the fact that they made huge amounts from TV, other media and sponsorship than having to compete with other forms of entertainment. Hell a 2.Budesliga team probably makes more money through sponsorship alone than Motherwell make in turnover in a year, maybe two.

Within 2 hours of posting an idea to copy Germany, feedback indicates a positive picture. Cut prices, increase demand and raise new revenue. The future of Scottish football depends on encouraging old fans back, and attracting new interest. I often hear young guys talking about how they "don't follow Scottish football". This implies they have no real feel for live games and are instead attracted by the glamour of England and Spain on the telly.

The SPL and SFA have got develop a decent product and market it properly. You won't do that maintaining the status quo of Rangers, Celtic and a handfull of also rans in a 10 team league.

Does anyone know more about Dutch football? It's a small country, also dominated by 2/3 big teams.

Within 2 hours of posting an idea to copy Germany, feedback indicates a positive picture. Cut prices, increase demand and raise new revenue. The future of Scottish football depends on encouraging old fans back, and attracting new interest. I often hear young guys talking about how they "don't follow Scottish football". This implies they have no real feel for live games and are instead attracted by the glamour of England and Spain on the telly.

The SPL and SFA have got develop a decent product and market it properly. You won't do that maintaining the status quo of Rangers, Celtic and a handfull of also rans in a 10 team league.

Does anyone know more about Dutch football? It's a small country, also dominated by 2/3 big teams.

I know a bit about the dutch league, they have one orginisation called the KNVB who deal with everything, basically if the SFA actually ran all football. Each team has a youth system where they bring the kids in from about 7 and put them through school and learning to work with the ball and develop skills, then they progress into the teams.

They have the champions then 2nd place team go for champs league. then they have playoff's for the final euro places. They took the idea from the German league about reducing prices and stuff. They do the same as Germany and the leagues getting better for it

Within 2 hours of posting an idea to copy Germany, feedback indicates a positive picture. Cut prices, increase demand and raise new revenue.

the germans have low gate prices because there's 90 million of them and they have a massive tv deal and sponsorship.

the netherlands has more than 3 times the population of scotland concentrated in a small area.

Dutch football is weird. Until this season there was only two "pro" divisions, with no promotion/relegation from the second of these to the lower leagues which have 7 leagues.

Dutch football has what we want to call "colt teams" (as do Germany) that work the exact same way as the Spanish ones (although until recently - might still do they could enter the National Cup but could not be drawn with their "parent club").

Their Second Tier is even weirder than the SPL, SFL or the SFA could come up with by themselves. That league works like that...

The team with the best form record after game 1-6, 7-12, 13-18, 19-24, 25-30, 31-36 and the two highest placed clubs not already qualified join the 16th and 17th place team from the top division in a promotion/relegation playoff system. So in theory, although very unusual a team could win their first 6 games and lose the every game for the rest of the season (or at least fail to win) and still fight it out for promotion...

If any team has qualified for the playoffs already and do so again the next best placed team not already in the playoffs take the spot of course.

From wikipedia, regarding their non-league system....

From the 2010/2011 season, 32 teams will compete in the Topklasse (English: Top Class), divided over a Saturday and a Sunday league, both containing 16 teams. The Topklasse champion promotes to the Eerste Divisie, if they refuse promotion or don't meet necessary criteria, the runners-up will replace them. If also the runners-up refuse promotion or don't meet necessary criteria, no team will get relegated from the Eerste Divisie

the germans have low gate prices because there's 90 million of them and they have a massive tv deal and sponsorship.

the netherlands has more than 3 times the population of scotland concentrated in a small area.

Much wealthier countries as well, reasons above describe why it it's too simplistic to say just reduce prices. These countries are only able to do this due to having money from other others areas that mean that they can.

Indeed. Found these figures on the web:

"A holy trinity comprising match-day revenue (€424m), sponsorship receipts (€573m) and broadcast income (€594m) is the main contributor to the Bundesliga's €1.7bn turnover."

Over 1 billion EUR from sponsorships and broadcast rights.

If you had paid only £100 or so for your season ticket you wouldn't bother going to the games?

No im not saying I wouldn't go generally, im saying when the games im watching are embarrassingly poor, it's pissing with rain, and we've stooped to a level in this country where the two teams on the park have a handful of players who are genuinely worse than guys I play with on a Thursday night...I wouldn't think twice about staying in the house if I wasn't really losing out on anything. The fact that i'd shelled out around 300 notes for my season ticket however, meant that last Saturday I was sitting in the pishing rain doing exactly that....and thats the only reason.

Indeed. Found these figures on the web:

"A holy trinity comprising match-day revenue (€424m), sponsorship receipts (€573m) and broadcast income (€594m) is the main contributor to the Bundesliga's €1.7bn turnover."

Over 1 billion EUR from sponsorships and broadcast rights.

Surely it all has to start somewhere though, right?

If we saw prices being lowered there would be increased attendances means more money spent at food kiosks, more shirts being sold, more programmes being punted etc.

The more people who attend the games the more attractive sponsorship is going to become, as there will be more sets of eyeballs seeing the product being advertised, which will increase revenue as well.

Once this all starts to flow through we'll see better players being bought, and a more exciting product which will lead to better television deals.

Sure, we'll never operate on the same scale as the Bundesliga, but we could certainly do worse than implement their blueprint as much as is possible.

If we saw prices being lowered there would be increased attendances means more money spent at food kiosks, more shirts being sold, more programmes being punted etc.
Intuitively, that makes sense. However, there are a finite number of people who will come to a Motherwell game on any given week, and history has shown that reducing the prices doesn't necessarily attract the necessary increase in crowd to make it worthwhile.

I'm all for a drop in price, btw - but realise that it is a tricky balancing act. A more even distribution of revenue would doubtless help in funding such an initiative as the reliance on gate receipts would be reduced.

Intuitively, that makes sense. However, there are a finite number of people who will come to a Motherwell game on any given week, and history has shown that reducing the prices doesn't necessarily attract the necessary increase in crowd to make it worthwhile.

Has there ever been a drop in prices for any length of time though? Most of the times I can recall have usually been a one-off deal.