Jock Wallace @ Motherwell 1982-83

thewhitepele

Davie Hay left not long after the 81-82 season finished,he didnt have anything to do with dismantling the squad that was all Mr Wallaces own work.

:blink: Eh? Discussed before, I know others agree. Dismantling of the squad every bit as much to do with Davie Hay as it did with Wallace. Chasing an impossible dream in the USA, well, impossible in the fact that no job existed...

As for Wallace... "Football is my religion", his salute to the Rangers fans on opening day in 1982, signing Nicky Walker when Annie Walker may have fared better, the list goes on. Had the grave dancing shoes on when he passed away ;)

Not here to defend Wallace, some people are not worth defending but was this not the record of Bobby Watson?

Yeah he replaced Wallace after we beat the h**s at Greyskull,I remember he brought in an amatuer guy froman EK team and played him in the Scottish Cup quarter final at the 'Arc......0-6 :blink:

Wallaces record the 82-83 was slightly better.

Won 11 Drew 5 Lost 20 scored 39 Lost 73 Points 27

8th place above 9th Morton 20pts 10th Killie 17 ponts who were both relegated.

Yeah he replaced Wallace after we beat the h**s at Greyskull,

I remember he brought in an amatuer guy froman EK team and played him in the Scottish Cup quarter final at the 'Arc......0-6 :blink:

Wallaces record the 82-83 was slightly better.

Won 11 Drew 5 Lost 20 scored 39 Lost 73 Points 27

8th place above 9th Morton 20pts 10th Killie 17 ponts who were both relegated.

Moved to Ibrox on the same day we played Morton at Cappielow (a very wet Wednseday night - but weren't they all at Greenock). His club car was impounded from the car park outside Fir Park and he had to get a taxi to Ibrox to sign the deal (well make his mark). Also had several run-ins with Ian Livingstone (then chairman, I think) over the disaplying of the pictures of the 2 treble winning h*n teams that adorned his managers office. An absolute clown of a manager - and we've had some clowns in my time, but he tops the lot.

Placed Brian McClair on the transfer list because he refused to go full-time, preferring to continue studying at Uni - Until Celtic came calling of course.

Bernie Grant. Signed from EK Dynamo and scored in 2 nil victory at Easter Road on debut. Never seen again after cup game following week.

Derek Weldon (RIP) also played in that 6-0 gubbing from Celtic, a motorcycle entusiast from Dimsdale he crashed badly on Horsely brae spending his last years paralysed in a wheel chair.

RE- John Greig's last game, we watched from the Copeland road end, my old man made an error in his thinking by parking at that end and just jumping into the 1st stand he reached. ;) Watched the game from the very back row shiting it, although there was another 'Well fan just along from us, still wearing his scarf.

Aye that Clyde cup tie was a killer. 3-1 up and cruising, then Nevin ripped us apart. Horrendous OG by Flavell put them ahead in extra time, and who can forget the mad goalline scramble right at the death that confirmed our defeat?!!

Funnily enough that goalmouth scramble was the first time I can ever remember my old man swearing. :P

Have some mixed memories of those Wallace seasons. There was that Clyde game which was just horrible but nothing compared to the 7-0 loss to Celtic, surrounded by tims in the Main Stand a couple of weeks after that 2-2 with Rangers.

I can't have made life easy for my old man when I think back. The brickwork in Chapelhall was in the process of closing or had not long shut so he wasn't getting to games anything like as regularly as he used to and when he did he had a then pain in the arse 7 or 8 year old me, attempting to wave a Motherwell flag on a six foot bamboo cane whether we were in the terracing or a stand, winning or losing.

Probably the best was that 3-0 win over Rangers around New Year in Wallace's first season. Could even just stroll up to the house on Fir Park street the club had offices in a few minutes before kick-off and buy tickets. Win that day was made all the sweeter as we were in the presence of my Rangers supporting uncle.