Challenge Cup 2016'17

livivoice

Anyone got any update. I`m also assuming the tie will be at FP.

This is only a stab in the dark mate but im guessing that if you have already spoken to the club and they cant confirm anything for you yet then the chances of anyone on here being in on the secret are quite slim.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why we are using the Exclsior for this cup game, so early in the season?

I can understand why they use it for the under 20's in the winter months, but at a time when the club are pleading poverty why they are spending additional money on renting the stadium in August!!

Don't know for sure but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if it's more cost effective to hire the Excelsior than have the game at Fir Park and the costs of tending to the park pre and post match plus effects of additional wear and tear on the pitch.

Don't know for sure but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if it's more cost effective to hire the Excelsior than have the game at Fir Park and the costs of tending to the park pre and post match plus effects of additional wear and tear on the pitch.

Reckon this is spot on. Plastic pitch needs very little work done to it over a season- imagine Fir Park hosting 40-odd games over 9 months? Our now beautiful pitch would mimic that of McGhee's first spell! It will be a club/Groundsman decision when the pitch is used other than First team matches.

Has the under20's played any games at all as the under20's?..

We have lost some of them from last year, so there first competitive match is against Edinburgh City, does not fill you with confidence especially when they gave Hamilton a fright the other night

Do results really matter in the u20s?

I'd say so.

I've previously stated my belief that U20's shouldn't be in this competition but now that they are to me you play the tournament in the spirit intended.

By that I mean getting as far in the Cup as you can and getting the most from the experiences of playing against league sides. And obviously to do that you need to win matches so therefore in this competition at least the results do matter.

Do results really matter in the u20s?

Well if our youth is to be our future yes simply because they hit 18 theyre an adult they should be learning winning habbits and coaching staff should be installing it in that yes it does matter what managers going to puck players for the first team if they cant even perform at the level they are playing at

Reckon this is spot on. Plastic pitch needs very little work done to it over a season- imagine Fir Park hosting 40-odd games over 9 months? Our now beautiful pitch would mimic that of McGhee's first spell! It will be a club/Groundsman decision when the pitch is used other than First team matches.

For what it's worth, looking at the Excelsior's website it costs £275 for a regular punter to hire the pitch for 11s (2hr block). I've no idea what sort of rate MFC or the various other SPFL clubs who hire it for their 20s in the same way are expected to pay (whether it's more or less) but using it as a rough guide; over a season that'd be £4400 to cover hire fees for the 16 games in the Dev league schedule.

Given the amount of investment and improvement we've seen in the Fir Park pitch that sort of figure (or comparable) seems to me to be a worthwhile and reasonable cost to pay if it's helping keep the FP playing surface in good nick.