Marv Birmingham Mail

livivoice

Mail doing an article on Birmingham born Marv suggesting he is attracting interest from various Championship clubs such as Leeds, QPR and Bristol City.

Not sure if this is old news but the momentum seems to be building towards Marv leaving.

Would have attached the article but I am pretty duff at these things so sorry!

This posted on Twitter earlier.

If true, we could have a bidding war...

Has there ever been a 'bidding war' for players in Scotland? Teams have multiple targets, they'll go to a limit and move to the next on the list.

Interesting that 3 of the 4 teams mentioned in that write-up are Championship sides and the guy that wrote it covers Villa for the paper (and has just started following the bold Marv on Twitter). Reads very much like a puff piece though. I suppose what it ends up coming down to is which teams genuinely want him and as thisGRAEME suggests what their limit is before they shrug their shoulders and say "nah, you're alright" and slope off to the next guy on their list.

Ultimately the club has been trying to position itself as a "platform" club and McGhee's been actively talking Johnson up since the January window so as far as I'm concerned as long as the club gets a decent fee and the player moves to a club and level that at the very least looks like a step up then it's difficult to argue at the club/player wanting to take advantage of that. That said, the fact he's still got two years to run of his deal and he looks like he's hit the ground running this pre-season and is our key player means that I'd hope that we'd have a bit of leverage in terms of what we could legitimately quote as a price.

Wolves and Villa are both his neck of the woods, if Villa move Sinclair on to Celtic then Marv would be an obvious replacement a year younger, available for less than they get in and on significantly less wages (you'd think) and you could see the obvious appeal for the player there, Villa for all their issues are a massive club, new owner and a new manager in di Matteo. How much you can read into that article I don't know but it suggests he's been a player well scouted by the clubs in the area before he came up here.

Wolves are also under new ownership IIRC and last I saw they were trying to bring in players from Jorge Mendes' stable.

Oxford's a curious one, they took in a decent fee for Roofe but their accounts last year showed a £2.5m loss, up from £1.4m the previous year. They've already spent money on Rothwell, now Hemmings and from what I've read they've increased their wage budget by 50%. In total they've brought in 10 players this window with 3 being 'undisclosed' fees. Even if a figure of £500k was enough to pique our interest and start a conversation the majority of English League 1 transfers are free transfers, that sort of figure would be the higher end of the scale. In context, Oxford's record transfer paid is £470k (for Dean Windass no less).

I expect Marvin to go at the end of the window if he goes at all this time. With all respect to Annan and East Stirling putting in match winning performances against them is all well and good but scouts will want to see how he does against better opposition. Good performances in our first league games against Killie St Johnstone and Rangers will be a better indication if he has kicked on this season and worth the money posters on here expect.

• Like 1

Selling on players is something that we have failed at in recent times and has cost us financially.

If we are going to be successful off the field we need to get back into the habit of moving on a better player each season, and having others step up to replace them.

While Marvin is obviously an asset to the team, let's not forget how good we were for a few seasons before he joined. He'd be a loss, but he's certainly not irreplaceable.

I expect Marvin to go at the end of the window if he goes at all this time. With all respect to Annan and East Stirling putting in match winning performances against them is all well and good but scouts will want to see how he does against better opposition. Good performances in our first league games against Killie St Johnstone and Rangers will be a better indication if he has kicked on this season and worth the money posters on here expect.

If you were buying a wide left player from this league I think most would take Greg Stewart over Johnson. Stewart is also in the last year of his contract.

Of course both might go.

Did United not manage to get one with Goodwillie? Possibly Scott Allan also?

Not really. They said they wanted £2,000,000 for him, then got £2,000,000 for him.

If you were buying a wide left player from this league I think most would take Greg Stewart over Johnson. Stewart is also in the last year of his contract.

Of course both might go.

Possibly notable that they've had a £300k bid for him rejected this morning. Personally, I'd say that Johnson, purely on how much more physically capable he is to Stewart, would be a better shout for down south.

Not really. They said they wanted £2,000,000 for him, then got £2,000,000 for him.

Possibly notable that they've had a £300k bid for him rejected this morning. Personally, I'd say that Johnson, purely on how much more physically capable he is to Stewart, would be a better shout for down south.

I see Celtic are apparently going back to Villa with a £3m bid for Sinclair. If that ends up happening I wonder if Villa have Johnson earmarked as a potential replacement.

Were Celtic not in for him as well but doing the usual and offering derisory bids to unsettle the player? I may be mistaken and getting him mixed up with any one of a number they've done that with.

Were Celtic not in for him as well but doing the usual and offering derisory bids to unsettle the player? I may be mistaken and getting him mixed up with any one of a number they've done that with.

Was it not Rangers who were in for Goodwillie? Seems it was: http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14409830

United want £1.5m+ Rangers offer £500k. https://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/104861/dundee-united-reject-rangers-bid-for-david-goodwillie/