2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

I stand by what i said. Playing Celtic your best players won't win you the game coz they are still going to have the better players. It's the more determined players that will win you the game & who's going to be more determined the guys who are at Motherwell next season and want to play in Europe with the 'Well or the guys who are buggering off to Hearts/Utd & playing in Europe with them? Tom Boyd was different in that he stated it was his last game & he'd be joining Chelsea so the final was a fitting farewell & a chance for the fans to say thanks for your services good luck in the big time. Would he have got the same reception if he said the final was his last game then he'd be off to join Celtic? What reaction would Sutton & Jennings get if they came out and said they will be playing for Hearts/Utd next season? Would everyone still demand they play in the final so we can say bye to them? Or would as i suspect everyone say get that Jambo c@*t to fuck and get a Motherwell boy on. I believe our name's on the cup this year whoever plays so it's a great time to be a Well fan.

Or would as i suspect everyone say get that Jambo c@*t to fuck and get a Motherwell boy on.

I'm surprised thats what you'd suspect. I'd suggest you'd be completely on your own with that opinion....

If Sutton and Jenno were publicly on their way to Hearts/Dundee United next season, and you'd leave them out of the cup final in favour of Forbes and McHugh because they are gonna be here next year, then i'd expect everyone to say you're mental.

• Like 2

I'm surprised thats what you'd suspect. I'd suggest you'd be completely on your own with that opinion....

If Sutton and Jenno were publicly on their way to Hearts/Dundee United next season, and you'd leave them out of the cup final in favour of Forbes and McHugh because they are gonna be here next year, then i'd expect everyone to say you're mental.

it would be mental under normal circumstances with a player like mccormack or o'brien.

with guys like jennings and sutton who have gave 100% all season and are totally commtited to the cause it is, to put it politely, beyond mental.

Don't really think we should be looking at every ex player that's about.

Should be looking at players getting released from Championship to League two teams, thats who realistically we'll be after next season.

Just been on bbc text and it says derby have released chris porter maybe a chance to get him providing he is willing to take a pay cut

Nigel Clough was reported on the official twitter as being in the main stand tonight, even though he ditched him, I wonder if anyone had a word?

• Like 1

Tom Boyd was different in that he stated it was his last game & he'd be joining Chelsea so the final was a fitting farewell & a chance for the fans to say thanks for your services good luck in the big time.

Don't think this is right. As I remember it Tom Boyd's future was still up in the air. I'm almost certain that after the final he was interviewed and asked if he would still be at Motherwell next season. He answered something like 'you never know what might happen'. It was fairly obvious he was going but I don't think he'd actually settled on Chelsea at that stage and there was still a strong possibility he might end up at Celtic or Rangers.

My Mate just called me saying spotted Jim Paterson going into club !

Would love to see Stepover back

Someone needs to set up a surveillance unit in one of those houses across from Fir Park with a camera with a big ass lens on it and one of those hand held radar dish things that picks up conversations from miles away.

Then put it all up here and we can forget about My Mate Says stuff.

Don't think this is right. As I remember it Tom Boyd's future was still up in the air. I'm almost certain that after the final he was interviewed and asked if he would still be at Motherwell next season. He answered something like 'you never know what might happen'. It was fairly obvious he was going but I don't think he'd actually settled on Chelsea at that stage and there was still a strong possibility he might end up at Celtic or Rangers.

Seems pretty sure he's off here (4:47)

I'm sure Chelsea got the nod because they were prepared to let him stay until the seasn ended whereas the others involved wanted him asap, e.g. Nottm Forest. Although his story about the jaikiy that is Brian Clough on Tuesday was class. :laugh:

My recollection was that I went to the final with the knowledge that this would have been Tom Boyd's last game for the club, for sure. Whether he had signed for anyone on 18th May 1991, I cannot comment on.

Having written this, I cannot remember whether I stayed the night in Glasgow (Broomhill) or in Paisley, where I was studying. :nod: I do remember an absolute fluke of stepping out of the Glasgow train at Motherwell on the Sunday, to catch the open-top bus driving by. (Maybe it did the one-way system a dozen times.....who knows?).

Happy memories. Here's hoping we do a Tottenham with the Cups ending in ones (1s)!:cheers:

SD

My recollection was that I went to the final with the knowledge that this would have been Tom Boyd's last game for the club, for sure. Whether he had signed for anyone on 18th May 1991, I cannot comment on.

Having written this, I cannot remember whether I stayed the night in Glasgow (Broomhill) or in Paisley, where I was studying. :nod: I do remember an absolute fluke of stepping out of the Glasgow train at Motherwell on the Sunday, to catch the open-top bus driving by. (Maybe it did the one-way system a dozen times.....who knows?).

Happy memories. Here's hoping we do a Tottenham with the Cups ending in ones (1s)!:cheers:

SD

Just to clarify I said it was generally accepted that he was going to leave but I don't think the Chelsea deal was done and dusted at that point.

Okay; no problems mate. I'm more the Clash than Elvis Costello, BUT I did have "I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea" firmly in my head that weekend!

Pre-internet days. Not important. Ten days time is important- I'm a scientist, not a historian...... :cheers:

SD

Just to clarify I said it was generally accepted that he was going to leave but I don't think the Chelsea deal was done and dusted at that point.

That's my recollection too, seem to remember Jock Brown saying in the Final commentary that "it may well be his last game for Motherwell", or words to that effect.

That's my recollection too, seem to remember Jock Brown saying in the Final commentary that "it may well be his last game for Motherwell", or words to that effect.

Ah - the memories. I might have to dust down and wind up the old video recorder tonight. Boyd wasn't the only one who never played for us again. Maxwell and Paterson didn't and I don't think O'Neil did either. Didn't mean any of them didn't give everything in the final.

now thats a shout! superb player, doubt we`d have any chance with him tho

Well he's been in a bit of bother, so maybe no-one else will take a chance on him. I would, and his pal Steven Thompson too.

Hmmmm.... Sport

Exclusive: Palace boss eyes Motherwell striker

Thursday, 12 May 2011

By Richard Cawley

CRYSTAL Palace boss Dougie Freedman is tracking Motherwell striker Jamie Murphy.

The Eagles boss will make a personal check on the Glasgow-born front man when the Steelmen play Celtic in the Scottish Cup final on May 21.

Freedman made a trip up to Scotland this week to watch both 11-goal Murphy and Dundee United winger Craig Conway. But Murphy, 21, missed Motherwell’s midweek 1-1 draw with Kilmarnock.