Okay, Will I Be The First To Say It?

MJC_MKI

McCall can only work with what he has. Look at the players Motherwell lost in January. Reynolds, Blackman, Gow...

Give the man time.

The squad is threadbare at the moment.

The result in Aberdeen last week was outstanding, we got 3 points on Saturday (should have scored more) and last night was maybe just a game too much as many players are carrying knocks.

Honestly, this forum can be a depressing place to visit at times.

Last night was a disaster but 6 points out of 9 isn't bad.

Shocking quote. Absolute disgrace. He's been in the job less than 2 months. Give him a chance, oh and for the record who the feck would replace him. Nope he has my vote and should be given time. Thin squad with no money and Boyle out where are we going next.

*amended

Right I'm going to have to admit something here. When I wrote this last night, I was half cut. But now looking back at it in the cold light of day...I stand by every word that I said.

I've nothing personal against Stuart McCall and I'm sure he's a top guy and a good footballing coach. However he is not the right man for this job at this time. I fully understand and appreciate that he is just in the door and has a wafer thin squad to work with and a shoe string budget to try and make any improvements to the squad when the transfer window opens. A hard enough task for any manager out there but it's when they are faced with situations like this that we see the signs of a good manager and so far Stuart McCall has not shown any of these signs. For example, the team look disjointed and tactically all over the place and more worryingly lacking in motivation and belief in themselves. That is the job of the manager to instill these qualities into his players and from what has went before Stuart McCall is not doing this.

Now, I've said 'McCall Out', but he won't be sacked and he won't resign just now. I just believe that he is not the right man for the Motherwell manager's job at this point in time and in answer to the question of who I would suggest to replace him who is available and in our financial range, personally I would ask Tommy McLean to come back and put a safe, reliable hand on the rudder for the next year or so because that is what the club needs right now.

I really like McCall.

Got it wrong last night by relying on that humpty Humphrey but it's post match interview was very refreshing.

Really feel like we are heading for a Butcher/McLean type era where we will regularly lose games we are expected to win but cause a few upsets along the way. I wouldn't be surprised if we run a very good Celtic team close on Sunday.

My sentiments exactly.

Oh dear, why did Brown go? Simples, he could not take the current squad any further and with the apparent lack of cash how can Mcall do much more. The team got 6 out of the last 9 and I did not see the Aberdeen score coming. last night was a hiccup in our fecking paddy field.

Thanks for pointing out less than 2 months in the job.

And as for Tommy Mclean! Get real. Patience and we will be ok. Changing times ahead for the club as a whole.

It is not fair to judge McCall after such a short period of time, we still have a fair chance of top six and we may even sneak a result against United in the cup (providing it's not rained off).

Some of the performances have been poor and reminiscent of the Malpish season. I do not see the threadbare squad as an excuse for this though as we have seen in recent years what good managers can get out of this group of players.

The decision to play Hammell or Gunning at right-back was bemusing last night...

That's 10 SPL matches that McCall has now been in charge for. In this period we've only scored in 3 of these matches, won 3 drawn 2 and lost 5. 2 of the victories have came against Hibs, who were absolutely shocking at the time, and against a Hamilton side who can't buy a point at the moment.

The win at Pittodrie was a brilliant result but that to date seems to be our only good performance under McCall where we've won. Granted we played well against Killie but couldn't take our chances. 2 good performances out of 10 matches is not good enough.

The performances at Tannadice, Ibrox, McDiarmid Park and last night have been woeful. I'll give the boss a chance to the end of the season to see how we do but i have been far from impressed so far.

I really cannot see where the McCall out chat comes from. He just won the last two games - infact if someone had offered you 6/9 points over those three games most Well fans would have jumped on it.

Yes,granted - losing to St Mirren was not fun and nor should it be because with the exception of Hamilton and St Mirren - Motherwell probably have one of the weaker squads in the SPL, St Mirren are of course the exception - so a victory is not unrealistic to expect/hope for.

Like it or lump it there isn't a great deal of quality in the Motherwell team and one thing that they certainly lack - is a goalscorer. Franny Jeffers was brought in, i would hope;on a small salary. He can do a bit of moving etc but putting the ball in the net has never been his forte so to speak. The problem is there is noone else to fill that goalscoring gap, not enough goals from other areas of the pitch at times.

Motherwell are a decent SPL team, finishing 7th/8th is by no means an underachievment this season: yet top 6 is neither out of the question. You cannot lose players of the quality Motherwell have without replacing them and expect to compete for the European places. Effort? yes it's always nice to see 150% but all the effort in the world will not make up for a lack of quality over the course of the season - look at Hamilton, noone could accuse them of not trying like fuck yet they still find themself rooted to the bottom of the league.

The lack of signings isn't particularly McCalls fault either - there was a few folk branding about idiotic figures of cash available to him during the transfer window. A realistic figure would probably have been about £750/850 a week. Go replace players for that wage budget. Bringing in players for the sake of it isn't going to help, you need players who can add to what you have.

End of the day - give him until christmas. If he brings in some of his own players and things are looking drastic by then i would agree he has failed. Right now he has stepped into a job that noone else seemed to want and for that people should probably be grateful no matter how convenient it was for him. Taking on a team with virtually no money to spend and losing it's top assets is hardly a envious or easy role to take.

However if there is a better candidate - bring him in. I just fail to think of one.

Get yersel to fuck man. Only the other day we were looking at 4th and 9 out of 9. We are going to have set backs with a thin squad and a relatively inexperienced manager. Alot of folk on here sounding like o/f fans. What realistically do you expect us to achieve? There will be "average" seasons, thats why the highs are all the better. Besides, still alot of games left to see what happens.

Good shout Richie!

I feel during our recent poor run we've been losing games that we perhaps took a point from or sneaked a 1-0 win from under Brown.

It wasn't pretty last night, but I thought in some aspects it was quite similair to the Killie game two weeks ago and honestly believed for the majority of the game we were the better side.

Perhaps winning two on the bounce raised expectation levels a little too far - it certainly managed to hide the fact we're struggling badly to find the net!

Certainly wouldn't do anything rash in regards to the manager at the moment.

I can see what McCall is trying to do. A pressing game, on the deck and ball retention is more important than taking a gamble. I like what he is trying to do. But he is a couple of offenisve cogs short of that wheel at the moment. So he is working with the hand he was dealt and in poker terms it looks like Queen high. But all this time he is learning the players and deciding what he wants to do in the summer.

Also McCall has had real bad luck with injuries compared to Brown, Gannon and McGhee. We seemed to stay really healthy for three or four years and while our list is not huge with the squad we have it is the most damaging for a long time.

For me he gets to the summer as free reign and next season makes or breaks him. As long as he uses this time for learning the pool and getting the right faces close season I think he could be a manager who will bring our players on. So far I;m encouraged rather than discouraged.

And for those who say he has made tactical mistakes - I agree. But he has come into this league mid season, not knowing the team or the ones he is playing that well so he will. But the key is learning from them and he is incredibly bright and I'm sure he will.

Had to laugh last night at some lad standing behind me, he was moaning about the way we were playing and then used Barcelona as his comparison..........

I wouldn't laugh at all, sadly its all too true (just check my signature to see what I and Jim Duffy think). For many youngsters now the benchmark is the Man Utd, Chelseas, Arsenals and Barcelonas of the world. That is the normal standard. Anything less is crap. Its totally unrealistic and symptomatic of the media brainwashing and changes in society since Thatcher came to power.

I can see what McCall is trying to do. A pressing game, on the deck and ball retention is more important than taking a gamble. I like what he is trying to do. But he is a couple of offenisve cogs short of that wheel at the moment. So he is working with the hand he was dealt and in poker terms it looks like Queen high. But all this time he is learning the players and deciding what he wants to do in the summer.

Also McCall has had real bad luck with injuries compared to Brown, Gannon and McGhee. We seemed to stay really healthy for three or four years and while our list is not huge with the squad we have it is the most damaging for a long time.

For me he gets to the summer as free reign and next season makes or breaks him. As long as he uses this time for learning the pool and getting the right faces close season I think he could be a manager who will bring our players on. So far I;m encouraged rather than discouraged.

And for those who say he has made tactical mistakes - I agree. But he has come into this league mid season, not knowing the team or the ones he is playing that well so he will. But the key is learning from them and he is incredibly bright and I'm sure he will.

On what do you base that positivity.

I see the rest of this season as a series of ups and downs, with the downs far exceeding the ups, and a full season next year fighting relegation. I base that upon the fact we have a small squad, we have lost players without replacing them, our managers track record is less than impressive, and the team haven't shown the kind of impetus that usually comes from new management.

I doubt whether we have the financial capability to attract the type of players required to improve the side, and I have grave doubts over whether McCall has the coaching skills to mould the type of player required from the staff already there.

I'm on record as saying the man should never have been hired in the first place, so it's fairly clear where I stand. People are entitled to their opinion, mine is based on facts, facts I've given on this board more than once.

Your opinion, like most of the pro-McCall side, seems to be based more on hope than on judgement.

Stuart McCall was a poor manager before he arrived at Fir Park, I fail to see how coming here suddenly makes him any better.

I'm a Motherwell fan and I'm 100% behind him because he's our manager, but that still doesn't make him any good.

I wouldn't laugh at all, sadly its all too true (just check my signature to see what I and Jim Duffy think). For many youngsters now the benchmark is the Man Utd, Chelseas, Arsenals and Barcelonas of the world. That is the normal standard. Anything less is crap. Its totally unrealistic and symptomatic of the media brainwashing and changes in society since Thatcher came to power.

First she snatches the milk,then she fucks up our club has that woman no shame :wub:

How you managed to fit her into this thread is a fucking mystery :(

MJC first of all my apologies for laughing at you're negative comments about how we'd do against St.Mirren. You were ABSOLUTELY CORRECT and also correct in wanting the McCall-Black management team shown the door. I;ve NO DOUBTS WHATSOEVER that he aint a decent manager and this season will be a write off for us starting with a slaughter on sunday and pumped at Inverness next week followed by going out the cup like pussies cos that is what we're like at the moment as i've said before 3rd bottom and only cos of the start we made.. MCCALL MUST GO!!!! :(

How you managed to fit her into this thread is a f*****g mystery :(

Maggie Thatcher promoted the self centred, "whats in it for me", "look after yourself", "only the best will do for me" culture. Folk may hate her in Scotland for what she stood for but that doesn't stop many of the same folk living by her teachings.

McCall OUT.

:lol::lol::lol:

'Sake, the fitba' is pish and results have been poor but he has been in 7 WEEKS. Get a grip of yourself man, it's football at the end of the day, a game - it takes time to figure out and it will be a lot easier if sad wanks like you aren't foaming at the mouth after 2 months.

He AT LEAST needs the summer to get some boys in and clear the crap from the squad. I hope he does a 'Gannon' and uses his 'contacts' to bring in guys ffrom down south, 'cause no doubt about it they have more ability than some of the duffers we have up here. Our best players in the last couple of seasons have arguably included:

Ruddy

Randolph

Jennings

Jutkiewicz

Blackman etc... , even Humphrey at times, all brought in from down south.

Let McCall get more guys of his own in, even Jeffers has looked better than most from what I've seen and heard so McCall should be given a shot at getting more signings in, he obviously does have the all important 'contacts'.