Clyde, League Cup, Wednesday 24th August

Andy_P

I would start with our strongest 11 in the hope we can get a couple of goals to re-install confidence after the yesterdays pumping. If we go 2 up then id bring the fringe players on. As McCall said it's good to have a game quickly to get a defeat out your system so the 11 on the field yesterday are the ones who need to get it out their system before going to Dunfermline for a match we really should be winning if we have ambitions for Euro qualifying.

hey you reading my emails before I send them? :laugh: that's what I was going to say.

Just because its Clyde in the wee cup, doesnt mean we should be playing the young team in an Arsenal styleee.

Get the real team in their, win the game, preferably with a good few goals for the confidence. Make changes once the game is won.

I would however be tempted to play Law in midfield linking with the attack. Thought he looked cracking in there against 10 man Hearts.

Just because its Clyde in the wee cup, doesnt mean we should be playing the young team in an Arsenal styleee.

Get the real team in their, win the game, preferably with a good few goals for the confidence. Make changes once the game is won.

Spot on mate, there is also money to be made from the so called diddy cup, strongest team and get intae them.

Wouldnt make major changes, 3 or 4 at most.

Forbes in for Lasley, maybe Halsmann in for Humphrey with Law switching right and Page in for Craggs.

I would defo keep Higdon in as he needs the match fitness and also the chance of a few goals. If he plays and opens his account it would be a major plus. Give him 60 mins then bring on McHugh or Smith.

Alternatively drop Murphy for a rest and play Mchugh and Higdon as a front two with Law and Humphrey out wide.

That would still be a strong enough team and would give our 'fringe' players some game time as they are getting feck all in the SPL.

We should play the weakest team we are guaranteed to progress with. And we should play Higdon. He has been disappointing but his goal return at St Mirren tells us he is far from rubbish. This is a game we should win and we should score three or four in if we play anything like we can so it is a chance to try and get him off the mark and that may instill the belief in Higdon. Not that a goal or two v Clyde will win the doubters, and nor should it, but if it give him the belief to nab one on Saturday its worth doing. I'd make three or four changes just to give the fringe boys a run and to show the first 11 is not a closed shop. Maybe goalie and one in defence, midfield and up top. These guys will be needed during the season so they need a wee dose of competitive football for our SPL aspirations if nothing else.

Would like to see Forbes and McHugh get a game but not wholesale changes.

Craigan is the one I would definitely give a rest too. Nothing to do with his form because for me he's been one of the standouts for us so far this season but 3 games in 6 days might be too much at his age, one of the reasons he retired from International duty. I would play Page and prefer to keep Craigan fresh for Saturday. Give Page a game at centre half, I know some will think we will miss Craggs experience in defence but if Page has any aspirations of breaking into the first team he should be able to comfortably handle this game.

Would be tempted to rest Murphy also, as they will target him as our main threat and he could be in for some rough treatment. He will still stroll it but I'm just worried about him picking up an unnecessary injury. If he does play I would take him off as soon as the game is done and give one of the youngsters a chance.

Think we should win it comfortably.

Would bring in a few players but not Arsenal style. Humphrey definitely needs a rest, he looked like he was carrying an injury again yesterday.

I'd go with something along the lines of:

Randolph

Hateley Page Hutchinson Hammell

Carswell Jennings Forbes

Law

Higdon McHugh

With Murphy somewhere on the bench incase we need him.

randolph

hateley hutchinson page hammell

humphrey forbes carswell lawless

mchugh higdon

hopefully humphrey and higdon can find a bit of form against part timers.

Dundee Utd. are not allowing them to play Felip Mentel in goal so it will be only a 2nd appearance for John Charles Hutchinson, mate of mine who is a Clyde supporter reckons he's iffy !

Dundee Utd. are not allowing them to play Felip Mentel in goal so it will be only a 2nd appearance for John Charles Hutchinson, mate of mine who is a Clyde supporter reckons he's iffy !

The Bully fan in here fears that we will destroy them with pace down their wings. Though I didn't get names he mentioned there's a 37 year old down one side and someone playing out of their preferred position on the other.

Going back to our team selection I suppose its worth remembering that although a few of our younger players are light in appearances for us some of them have a few appearances behind them at Clyde's current level.

Page had six months at Stirling Albion in Division Two for example, Lawless the full season in Division Three, Halsman a few months in both Divisions Two and Three and Gary Smith a spell with Dumbarton in Division Two also.

So whilst there's always an element of the unknown when introducing youngsters into the team so the players listed won't be unfamiliar with what they are likely to face if selected.

I certainly would freshen the team up, its clear some need a wee rest, and tomorrow seems the ideal opportunity to do that.

For me I'd start Page, Halsman, Carswell, Forbes and McHugh, allowing the likes of Craigan, Hammell and Lasley to rest up ahead of our visit to The Pars on Saturday.

So this would be my side:

Hollis

Hateley

Hutchinson

Page

Halsman

Carswell

Forbes

Law

Murphy

Higdon

McHugh

Subs: Randolph, Smith, Pollock, Lawless, McKinnon

That team should be good enough to beat Division Three Clyde, albeit they are unbeaten and definitely a tougher proposition than last year.

3-0 Motherwell with Higdon off the mark.

randolph

hateley hutchinson page hammell

humphrey forbes carswell lawless

mchugh higdon

hopefully humphrey and higdon can find a bit of form against part timers.

Fare comment and a pretty good team there, but Murphy played alot worse than Humphrey did on Sunday, Higdon needs to score as he is growing frustrated as more and more games pass him by. I like the guy, he is a workhorse and Wed night is the chance to open his account.

Not really sure he is a workhorse... if so he should maybe be focusing that work on getting onside a bit more regular. Sutton was a workhorse and I think that's the problem, Higdon will never be a straight replacement for Sutton as most people hoped but I do think he'll come good and score goals for us.

Has to be a mix between some youngsters and experience. Would rest Craigan, Jenno, Lasley, Murphy and Hammell. Reckon we'll go through comfortably with a 3-0 win.

Hollis

Hateley

Hutchy

Page

Halsman

Pollock

Forbes

Law

McHugh

Higdon

Lawless

Humphrey ?