Motherwell Vs Hibernian Discussion Thread

David

Diddy cup game, team for me would be:

Hollis

Hateley Craigan Page Hammell

Lawless Forbes Carswell Law

Murphy Daley

Might also be tempted to start with Gary Smith rather than Murphy. McHugh doesn't deserve to start after his pathetic performance at Clyde when even that looked a level too high for him.

not much more i can say that hasnt been said re our last few performances and how changes need to be made

team to play hibs :

Randy

Clancy Page Craggs Hammell

Carswell Hately Forbes

Daley Murphy/Law

Higdon

Lasley / jennings both out - HIbs may be dire just now, but they will out fight us in the middle of the park with Rankin and Osbourne (it may be harsh dropping these two, but others deserve a chance if they aint performing. I also think these two have it in them to come back stronger and prove a point after their kick up the back side)

Defence - we need to players to play in their natural position, O'Connor and Griffiths may be high on everyones list for dogs abuse - but they aint no mugs and can easily bully our light weight defence

Whoever plays in midfield or in a wide position MUST MUST MUST start to offer some assistance to Higdon - get close to him, play to his strenghts and STOP lumping 60 yards passes on to him. Get the ball to his feet or his chest, or get it out wide and fire balls into the box. Stop trying to over work it like Arsenal

C'mon the well!!!

....................Hollis

Hateley Page Craigan Hammell

.................Jennings

....Carswell...........Forbes

......................Law

.............Higdon Murphy

Couple of changes to freshen things up. Hibs are dire in central midfield so we have to take advantage. Jennings could do with dropping but I trust him more than Lasley at the moment.

Would like to see Law playing behind 2 strikers with Murphy instructed to run beyond Higdon at every opportunity. Team lacks natural width in the final third but I'd sacrifice that in order for Murphy and Law to play in their most effective positions, thus supporting Higdon.

There is no chance our woeful defence can keep O`Connor + Griffiths at bay for an entire game. I have confidence that we can win with the players we have,unfortunately I have zero confidence that our manager is capable of organizing the players in a way that would maximise our chances!

My Team would be-

Randolph

Hateley,Craigan,Page,Hammell

Humphrey,Carswell,Law,Lawless

Higdon,Murphy

Subs -

McHugh,Forbes,Daley,Clancy,Hollis

4-4-2 with width, Murph drift out left to stretch their defence. Carswell sit and Law pull the strings in the middle. Give Daley,McHugh + Forbes good gametime from the bench.

Unfortunately itll probably be the same 11 as saturday,same tactics and same result

the same manager that came in under difficult circumstances and did a pretty decent job including a run to a Scottish Cup final last year and had us have one of our best starts to a season in living memory. Where we would have at least for the night been top of the league had we won on saturday.

Now no manager is perfect but thank fuck for McCall we didn't flirt with relegation or get off to a slow start this season if this is the confidence things going well engenders.

Back to tuesday, I'd have Forbes in for Jennings or Daley in for Jennings and Law moving more central. Need more creativity through the middle and Jennings performance on saturday was worse than a man down. He not looking like the player of last season or so and saturday looked like a player that didn't want to be here.

• Like 2

There is no chance our woeful defence can keep O`Connor + Griffiths at bay for an entire game. I have confidence that we can win with the players we have,unfortunately I have zero confidence that our manager is capable of organizing the players in a way that would maximise our chances!

My Team would be-

Randolph

Hateley,Craigan,Page,Hammell

Humphrey,Carswell,Law,Lawless

Higdon,Murphy

Subs -

McHugh,Forbes,Daley,Clancy,Hollis

4-4-2 with width, Murph drift out left to stretch their defence. Carswell sit and Law pull the strings in the middle. Give Daley,McHugh + Forbes good gametime from the bench.

Unfortunately itll probably be the same 11 as saturday,same tactics and same result

I like the look of that line up!

Ok lets put Saturday behind us, not sure what the answer is yet but, McCall brought Omar in because he was versitile, could we play him upfront with Higdon, not sure but Higdon is winning most of the flick ons, could be that extra pace required up front (Centraly).

Could we play; Law Humphrey Lasley Murphy

Higdon Daley

As our attacking option for Tuesday night? it would be a really attacking line up and worth the entry fee.

Think its a finely balanced game but one, with home advantage we should be looking to win.

I wouldn't go over the score with the changes. For me the only one I'd make would be to have Forbes in for Humphrey which incidently, I would also have done on Saturday too once it appeared obvious the system wasn't working.

My thinking is that with Forbes as an outlet for Clancy, whose distribution was absolutely awful on Saturday and to a lesser extent Crags we can actually look to build attacks rather than the hopeful high ball to Higdon or the hopeful long ball into space for Humphrey that we can descend into.

With an extra man in the centre of the park I'd like to think that with the creative duties put upon Forbes shoulders there will be less onus on Lasley and Jennings and they can offer a bit more backbone when faced with breakaways than they did at the weekend. Going forward I'd look to give Law and Murphy the freedom to switch wings and between the midfield and attack linking with Higdon whenever possible.

That would still allow us up three attacking options on the bench should we be chasing the game in McHugh, Humphrey and Daley.

Having said that he can pick who he likes as long we win!!

O.K. so we're going with the same 11 that started on Saturday.

I can go along with that BUT if it ain't working ( as was patently obvious on Saturday ) McCall has to have the balls to change it and not wait till the last 15 minutes to throw players on when they have no chance of getting into the game and changing it.

2-1 Well

Mon the Dossers.

Part of me can see why McCall would stick to the same starting 11. They were uncharacteristically bad on Saturday so why not not give them a chance to make ammends?We know and they know they are capable of so much more. Tactics/effort need to be different/better at least. At the same time though what type of message does this send to the fringe players? They must feel like chucking it, and it also sends out the message that the starting 11 can play as bad as they want and/or not bother their arse and they will still retain their place.

Personally I would make changes where possible. Page for Clancy, Forbes for Jennings, Daley for Humphrey would do. We're not blessed with options.

I never believe a manager's team till 30 mins before kick off so I don't think it is cast iron will be the same. We were rank on sat but apart from clancy who I'd never seen before we have seen them all do better. And on a one off I'd rather persevere with the ones we know can do the business rather than fling in eleven we hope can do the business. Though I don't object to the odd tweak. I'd like forbes to play and I'd like craigan to have a rest.

I don't understand why everyone is so keen to have Page and or McHugh in the team. Both pish.

Interested to know what you are basing this on? Clyde game? I wasnt there, but I actually thought that under gannon mchugh looked like he could be a player for us - since I have seen him on about 10 occasions for 5 mins at a time since I cant really comment. When I have seen page he looks competent enough but lacking the confidence to get involved and get stuck in, but is it any wonder since he has been on the bench for about 3 years?

Interested to know what you are basing this on? Clyde game? I wasnt there, but I actually thought that under gannon mchugh looked like he could be a player for us - since I have seen him on about 10 occasions for 5 mins at a time since I cant really comment. When I have seen page he looks competent enough but lacking the confidence to get involved and get stuck in, but is it any wonder since he has been on the bench for about 3 years?

There is a reason these guys are on the bench and it answers your question.

There is a reason these guys are on the bench and it answers your question.

It's obvious McCall has no clue about team selection, these guys are only first team players because they let John Boyle snort lines off their backsides, McCall is just a manager on paper, not even a decent player in his day. What would he know about team selection.

From the bbc....

Motherwell will remain unchanged for their Scottish Communities League Cup third-round clash with Hibernian.

Boss Stuart McCall will give the same starting line-up the chance to make up for Saturday's 3-0 loss to Kilmarnock.

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall: "There will be no knee-jerk reaction after one poor performance.

"The lads have got us 13 points and a decent position in the league, so hopefully it was just a bad day at the office.

"We had a little chat about the St Johnstone game this morning - I think we were all disappointed and angry, naturally.

"Hibs have a lot of good individuals and attacking options but are going through a sticky spell.

"But it wouldn't have mattered who we were playing tomorrow night, we are looking at ourselves - we will be positive, we want a good cup run again."

From the bbc....

Motherwell will remain unchanged for their Scottish Communities League Cup third-round clash with Hibernian.

Boss Stuart McCall will give the same starting line-up the chance to make up for Saturday's 3-0 loss to Kilmarnock.

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall: "There will be no knee-jerk reaction after one poor performance.

"The lads have got us 13 points and a decent position in the league, so hopefully it was just a bad day at the office.

"We had a little chat about the St Johnstone game this morning - I think we were all disappointed and angry, naturally.

"Hibs have a lot of good individuals and attacking options but are going through a sticky spell.

"But it wouldn't have mattered who we were playing tomorrow night, we are looking at ourselves - we will be positive, we want a good cup run again."

The BBC strike again.

Can obviously see the logic in going with the same team and giving them the chance to make amends . The worry is that , if they go out and produce the goods and get a win , will an element of complacency remain and the players think they can have off days and still be a first pick ?

With the absence of a reserve league the fringe players only have the odd bounce game to impress McCall . The league cup is the ideal stage to give a couple of these boys a chance to stake a claim and put pressure on the jerseys , especially so after an abject performance like Saturdays .

I would like to see a couple of changes to freshen things up , but if it is to be the same 11 , I would be hoping to see 100% from every one of them from first whistle to last , And for the love of god , when they get a sight of goal , instead of playing tippy two-ey SHOOT !