Settle for 3rd or aim for 2nd?

BigColin08

1994 was without doubt my best year as a Motherwell fan. Even better than 1991 despite the euphoria of winning the cup.

We played some great football and had a real chance of winning the league.

My recollection is that despite blowing a couple of really important games, we were still only 2 points behind Rangers on the last day and still in with a shout. I wont argue with the posts above, but I thought they were away to Hibs on the last day while we had St Johnstone at home? I recall going to the game with a real sense of anticipation that it could still happen if Rangers lost and we won we were champions....SIMPLES!

Was gut wrenching not to even hold up our end of the deal (I think it was Billy Dodds who scored the goal) although it wouldnt have mattered as Rangers won in the end. Fairly sure they score late on as well. To not even finish second just added insult to injury!

Whilst I am really excited about where we will end up this season, I dont think you can compare th quality of the 2 teams. The 1994 squad had real class, remember they scared the sh*** out of Borrusia Dortmund that year. However, I d sense the same snse of togetherness about this lot so we should definitely be aiming high.

We have never experienced Champions League football at this club and may never get the chance again, so lets go for it!

Thats how I remember it. I wouldnt compare the two teams either - again it was a different era. I think it's the PRIZE that's different this time around, particularly given the financial climate and the lucrative tournaments available now. That's why I say it's once in a lifetime.

My recollection is that despite blowing a couple of really important games, we were still only 2 points behind Rangers on the last day and still in with a shout. I wont argue with the posts above, but I thought they were away to Hibs on the last day while we had St Johnstone at home? I recall going to the game with a real sense of anticipation that it could still happen if Rangers lost and we won we were champions....SIMPLES!

Was gut wrenching not to even hold up our end of the deal (I think it was Billy Dodds who scored the goal) although it wouldnt have mattered as Rangers won in the end. Fairly sure they score late on as well. To not even finish second just added insult to injury!

!

Definitely home to Dundee but I've checked a couple of sites and they have the score as 0-0 but like you I'm certain we went into the game 2 points behind them with a very remote chance of winning the league.

I'll try and clear it up.

The Dundee utd game was a sore one. We lost to them while Rangers were losing at Hibs. Rangers had 57 pts, we had 53. Huge goal difference all but killed it.

We then drew at Raith while Rangers lost at Kilmarnock. 57-54. Aberdeen beat St Johnstone to move into second with 54 and better goal difference. League race over.

Final day we lost (John Inglis scored) and Gers drew at home to Dundee. 58-54. Aberdeen drew with Celtic to confirm second on 55 points.

In 93-94 we didn't play Dortmund either, this was the next season under Alex Mcginger

Paul Lambert's début was a cracker too

Didnt say it was that season but it was that year. (wink)

As for my recollections of the title race, it was a long time ago! That team has also got better in my mind with every year that has passed!

Didnt say it was that season but it was that year. (wink)

As for my recollections of the title race, it was a long time ago! That team has also got better in my mind with every year that has passed!

Give your eyes as well as your mind a treat and search out youtube - the speed that team moved the ball around was incredible. Don't think I ever really appreciated quite how good that team was. notworthy.gif

I remember the 93/94 and 95/96 seasons well

I was at every game home and away with my Dad and Grandad

East stand Section F row H seat 100

Completley different team and cant be compared to this one.

Wee Dougie Arnott terrorising the Rangers defence

Big Buff ( Brian Martin ) Amazing at the back

Rab McKinnon Powering left back

And of course Tommy Coyne oh Tommy Coyne :notworthy:

Shouldve hammered Borrusia dortmund in Germany

AAAhhhhh those where the days :woop:........................................................... Damn Im getting old :tumbleweed:

I used to go to all of the games then home and away and my recollection of the season we finished thrid was that had we made a quality signing after christmas we would have won the league. Since the early 90's if over a five year period we could have kept ssome of our best players together we would hgave challenged every season. We have always unearthed some gems in the 90's the Scotland national team was pepered with ex well players and of course Coyne for Ireland. Just wish we could get the crowds we got then but pro rata is was so much cheaper

Well, getting us back on thread............. Seems like Dundee Utd may be emerging as our closest competitor? Looking at recent results, up coming fixtures and how they almost caught Hearts last season they might be the ones to push us the hardest. Of course, being in the position we are, it is only ours to loose so we need to keep churning out results through suspensions to key players. I am still confident of finishing third. Would be good to get to the split 9 or 10 ahead of closest rival.

Dont think you can count St Johnstone out.

9 points back with a game in hand could easily make it 6.

Third place is a long way from cemented, but i'd rather be in our position than theirs.

Today was always likely to see others gain ground on us, but we need to keep going in the next few weeks to ensure we go into the split with as big and advantage as possible.

• Like 1

Top six confirmed today! I would be surprised if we've ever clinched it in February before. Just need to keep plugging away as the games will start to run out for the teams below us if we can maintain or increase our lead. Next few games are certainly winnable but suspensions look as they're going to start having an impact.

Haven't written St Johnstone off but think that Dundee Utd will be main contender, just my opinion. I think top 6 will be

Celtic

Rangers

Motherwell

Dundee utd

St Johnstone

Inverness

No danger Hearts won't be in the top 6.

I think it'll more likely be:

Celtic

Rangers

Motherwell

Dundee Utd

Hearts

St Johnstone

He'll be lucky if it was just a booking he got. I'd hope McCall booted his arse after the game for an embarrassing dive.

I'm also hoping it was part of the reason he was hooked early… hopefully it's not something he resorts to when things aren't really going his way, as they weren't yesterday for pretty much the first time since he arrived.

I'm also hoping it was part of the reason he was hooked early… hopefully it's not something he resorts to when things aren't really going his way, as they weren't yesterday for pretty much the first time since he arrived.

To be fair numpty none of our front players made much of an impression on the game ,but then neither did celtics tbh.