Celtic Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

we defended well for 99% of the match and passed the ball wel. we were never going to score.

hutchy was superb, the four midfielders worked their arses off and made life pretty easy for the back four and humphrey played well when he came on. clancy looks the part at some points but he has a horrible habit of fucking up. missing that header for their goal was criminal.

celtic are the best team in the league but they aren't a good side for the money. they're solid at the back and good athletes but they don't scare you when they have the ball the way o'neill's teams did. individually they are extremely average.

I don't have a problem with the Higdon thing. First of all we have no clue what he said and secondly have no issue with one professional to another saying " good strike" "well taken" or whatever. I am pretty sure Higdon wanted to beat Celtic as much as any of us in fact probably more since I am assuming they get some sort of win bonus? ( or maybe that went out the window with administration, not sure )

• Like 5

would like to see the OJamma incident. Radio claiming he dived, when he should and could have got a shot away in the box?

Right in front of us and couldn't have looked more like a dive even if he had been training with Tom Daley

if it was wrong I'm not blaming the ref for it :ph34r:

although the officials made a few blatant blunders, mostly relatively insignificant, apart from Wilson collapsing

nobody mentioned McCall punching/slapping the fourth official Conroy? after Lennon negotiated a throw in being turned over to them by moaning at the Ref?

Boys done reasonably well today, have seen us lose in worse manner, do wonder if Celtic/Lennon just showed us a little more respect than normal and held some back in reserve by not going for it?

Right in front of us and couldn't have looked more like a dive even if he had been training with Tom Daley

if it was wrong I'm not blaming the ref for it :ph34r:

although the officials made a few blatant blunders, mostly relatively insignificant apart from Wilson collapsing

nobody mentioned McCall punching/slapping the fourth official Conroy? after Lennon negotiated a throw in being turned over to them by moaning at the Ref?

Boys done reasonably well today have seen us loose in worse manner, do wonder if Celtic/Lennon just showed us a little more respect than normal and held some back in reserve by not going for it?

Thats a ban if indeed he did .

I didn't see the game today so can't comment on what Higdon may or may not have said to Hooper after his goal, however I did notice that before he went to take this 2nd penalty against Hibs in midweek he was conversing with and shaking hands with their goalie Graham Stack. Very 'sportsmanlike' and all that but it's an unusual thing to see a striker who's about to take a penalty exchange such warm handshakes with the goalkeeper he's about to face.

I don't have a problem with the Higdon thing. First of all we have no clue what he said and secondly have no issue with one professional to another saying " good strike" "well taken" or whatever. I am pretty sure Higdon wanted to beat Celtic as much as any of us in fact probably more since I am assuming they get some sort of win bonus? ( or maybe that went out the window with administration, not sure )

Strikers Union thing. I noticed O'Connor congratulating Higdon on Wed after his overhead kick goal. Does not mean you want lose the game.

Much like Brazilian says I've seen us come out a whole lot worse off than that.

I was fortunate enough to get a freebie in the home end and we actually seemed to get a fair bit of credit from their supporters around us. One remarked that we were a good side and another gave us credit for being the only side other than Hearts to come to Celtic Park with two forwards and trying to make a contest of it.

I felt we were generally comfortable but looked fairly lightweight when we got anywhere near their goal. You did get the impression that once they found the net it would be very difficult for us to turn it around and so it proved.

A good effort nonetheless. No huge discernible difference in class considering the difference in sums spent building the respective sides and we played a lot of good decent possession football.

Disappointing to lose ofcourse but in the grand scheme of things, not one to lose much sleep over,

• Like 1

Thats a ban if indeed he did .

nah it was more playful in the end but looked like the redmist desecended, when Lennon got them to reverse the decision and McCall turned and made a b line for him, Conroy? stepped forward into the line fo fire and Stuarty looked like he calmed down instantly on seeing him and playfully? raised his hand :ph34r:

Lot of good possession football, but never seriously threatended their goal which was a little disappointing. The Sheriff was marshalled well by Rogne and Wilson who had clearly done their homework.

Main plus was that we put in a performance worthy of our league position and were not seriously outclassed at any time. The same level of application with a little more adventure against Rangers at Fir Park should see us give them an overdue beating, although we havent shown this against them for quite some time, but here's hoping.

Onwards and upwards.

nah it was more playful in the end but looked like the redmist desecended, when Lennon got them to reverse the decision and McCall turned and made a b line for him, Conroy? stepped forward into the line fo fire and Stuarty looked like he calmed down instantly on seeing him and playfully? raised his hand :ph34r:

Indeed, both McCall and Conroy were laughing at the time, it was nothing more than a joke.

Anyway, pretty content with that overall. I've not seen the stats yet but I assume we had just as much of the ball as they did, we just missed that spark in terms of creating anything really of note. On another day we might have nicked a point, but generally I'm just happy we turned up, went 4-4-2, left both Higdon and Ojamaa up front for the majority of the game, and only really lost due to a momentary defensive lapse in concentration.

Someone really needs to tell Ojamaa that if he's going to risk a booking by taking an absolutely awful dive, Celtic Park isn't the place to do it.

• Like 1

played okay should have put Celtic under more pressure thought, celtic were very lazy at times, how the celtic player wasn't booked for trying to break Lasley's leg I don't know (well I do it was because he was playing for Celtic)

overall a dull game of football and I wonder if all the anti "h**s" songs will get a mention anywhere

I thought we played well in spells today and kept the ball better than we have in previous games at Celtic Park. Didn't relly think either team threatened much but you got the feeling that if we were going to take anything out the game it would have to be 0-0 as we definitely didn't look like scoring.

Watched the game on Celtic TV and the commentators really were a couple of fuds. They don't want lumped in with Rangers but they're quick enough to bring them into it when questioning how many fouls we commit against them. They also accused Jamie Murphy of "almost going down theatrically" under a challenge when he actually stayed on his feet. Looks like the paranoia is alive and well at Celtic Park.

played okay should have put Celtic under more pressure thought, celtic were very lazy at times, how the celtic player wasn't booked for trying to break Lasley's leg I don't know (well I do it was because he was playing for Celtic)

He was.

as Jay says, He was, after a lengthy spell of the ball staying in play and us getting no advantage what so ever, to the point that, when play did break down the ref had to come back to the half way line from our box to book him

overall a dull game of football and I wonder if all the anti "h**s" songs will get a mention anywhere

one of the few times I've been to Celtic park and not been aware of any real bigotry inside the ground

it does piss me off at all the Irish traditional music they play but it aint exactly illegal

Lot of good possession football, but never seriously threatended their goal which was a little disappointing. The Sheriff was marshalled well by Rogne and Wilson who had clearly done their homework.

Main plus was that we put in a performance worthy of our league position and were not seriously outclassed at any time. The same level of application with a little more adventure against Rangers at Fir Park should see us give them an overdue beating, although we havent shown this against them for quite some time, but here's hoping.

Onwards and upwards.

Very good assessment.......thought we were very shot shy today.

Disappointed by the goal they scored after we defended so well before that. You couldn't even look at a celtic player without the ref blowing the whistle, really over the top in my opinion. Pity we didn't score but oh well, I don't care we are still the Motherwell FC and I don't give a damn about celtic. Onwards to Europe!

missed have missed the yellow card being shown and as I was sitting among the Celtic fans I have have heard there singing a bit more clearly that the rest of the well fans and although the songs they were sing were not on a 'band list' wasn't someone from Motherwell sacked for using the term h**s? small beer I know

While I remember, if you're reading this and you were the older gentleman in his 50s/60s in the middle of the 'Well support, going absolutely tonto, foaming at the mouth and punching fuck out of your chair every time the referee made any decision (correct or incorrect) or every time a 'Well player misplaced a pass, you are an arsepiece.

• Like 3