If a Rangers newco are voted in to the SPL...

Jay

194 members have voted

1. 1. If a newco was voted into the SPL would you consider turning your back on SPL football?

• Yes
    • No

Where would they go? Thanks to the current economy, there are many more players looking for professional contracts than available slots at clubs.

It is still very much a buyers' market, and at a club like ours, getting the chance to play first team football at 18 or 19 is a better deal than 100 quid a week extra in your back pocket.

The only problem with that is - the SPL cannot relegate them to Division 3. The SPL can chuck them out of the SPL - but it would be up to the SFL if they are admitted or not.

As I've said before its time the fans put pressure on the SPL and the TV companies and not their own clubs. The only parties to be hit by a boycott of non OF clubs would be the non OF clubs themselves. Make no mistake its the TV companies who are at the root of the problem. If we cancelled subscriptions en masse, stopped patronising pubs screening live TV and stopped listening to sports programmes, the SPL would sit up and take notice. Boycotting our own clubs is tantamount to protesting against the OF by staying away from home games.

There's little to be gained by forcing our clubs to take action alone when we won't take action ourselves. By all means pressurise our own clubs but we must be prepared to take action ourselves.

• Like 1

Sky has it's flaws but they are not to blame if Motherwell & co bend over for a Rangers newco.

Sky and their media bedfellows plough a bit of cash into the SPL, but demand more than their pound of flesh in return. Most arguments against punishing Rangers put forward by the SPL centre on the TV cash that would be lost to clubs if Rangers were turfed out of the SPL. It would be great if the fans were to tell the likes of Sky and the SPL that if Rangers weren't punished and were allowed back into the SPL they could expect a fair drop in income - hit them where it hurts in their pockets. Up until now the media companies rightly believe that they can bleed OF fans dry, treat them like s**t and get away with it. Time to put that right.

On a related subject many of us moan and groan about ridiculous KO times dictated by the TV companies but many of us still subscribe to Sky or ESPN.

Your Name

Your Address

Your Phone Number

Dear >

Season Ticket Number(s) ********

It is with great disappointment that I, and many fellow fans have read of the proposed rule changes, which seem to include proposals to allow a potential Newco of a liquidated football club the opportunity to be voted straight back into the SPL with both points-related and financial penalties.

I am sure that these proposals and the current plight of Rangers Football Club are entirely coincidental, however I feel that such a rule, if voted favourably, seriously compromises the sporting integrity, such as it is, of the Scottish Premier League. As such I feel it would be foolhardy for me to continue to part with such a large sum of money to watch my club play in a league which i would consider to have no integrity, or fairness whatsoever.

I am therefore writing to confirm that I will not be renewing my season ticket for the time being, and intend to pick and choose which games, if any, i attend next season.

However, should my faith in the League competition's integrity be restored in the near future, then i shall be happy to reconsider my decision. However in the meantime I would appreciate it if you would cancel my renewal.

Yours sincerely

stole fae P&B good thing though

When the NRL side Melbourne Storm was found guilty of breaching the salary cap they were heavily fined lost all their competition points in the season at that time from way out in front at the top of the league to bottom and the following season they played for NO points at all, if they won a game they did not get the points. The club also had won several other titles from between 2006–10 but these wereannulled after the club was found to have breached the salary cap; these titles included two premierships (2007 and 2009), three minor premierships (2006,2007and 2008) and one World Club Challenge (2010).

Should that mob get back into the SPL they should not be allowed to play in cup games or for points for three years.

In all seriousness I'm interested in how many WOULD stop going to Fir Park due to what looks like happening.....................as utterly disgusting as it is.

Or would 'forget' after a few months and return to watch their team.

I think some may be lost forever. Others, maybe the majority of people who are disgusted, might not miss a game.

Total boycott of OF fixtures home and away? Must be a possibility as well.

MASSIVE gamble for the SPL/member clubs to make. August 4th 2012 could be a very interesting day.

• Like 1

As I said when I first started the poll, I was genuinely expecting the majority to suggest they'd stick with the SPL. Like me, however, the majority (on here at least) have confirmed they'd pack it in.

I've noticed similar polls on other club forums, Aberdeen springs to mind for example, where the results are pretty much exactly the same.

There's also a poll on Pie and Bovril which, again, shows similar results.

Also spotted this post on P&B from an SPL Survey site which, once again, highlights this issue with bigger numbers than we're working with:

Seems we are not a million miles apart in terms off % who will walk away. http://splsurvey.co.uk

There have been a total of 9380 responses.

If Rangers are liquidated and reformed as a Newco, should they be allowed immediate re-entry into the SPL?

No (8940) - 95.31%

Yes (440) - 4.69%

In the event of a Rangers Newco being allowed immediate re-entry how, as a supporter of another SPL/SFL club would you respond?

I would continue to attend SPL fixtures as normal (1121) - 11.95%

I would NOT attend any SPL fixtures at all (5034) - 53.67%

I would continue to attend SPL fixtures but boycott any fixtures involving the Rangers Newco (2929) - 31.23%

I support an SFL team so don't attend any SPL fixtures (296) - 3.16%

Do you back the SPL's Financial Fair Play Proposals?

Yes (3523) - 37.56%

No (5857) - 62.44%

I guess the main point is that those that run MFC could easily dismiss this thread as a vocal minority of Motherwell fans who happen to be on Steelmen Online, and claim it has no real substance to it. However, the figures above clearly prove that a mass walk out from non-OF fans in the SPL is not only possible but probable, should a newco be voted into the SPL.

Sky and their media bedfellows plough a bit of cash into the SPL, but demand more than their pound of flesh in return. Most arguments against punishing Rangers put forward by the SPL centre on the TV cash that would be lost to clubs if Rangers were turfed out of the SPL. It would be great if the fans were to tell the likes of Sky and the SPL that if Rangers weren't punished and were allowed back into the SPL they could expect a fair drop in income - hit them where it hurts in their pockets. Up until now the media companies rightly believe that they can bleed OF fans dry, treat them like s**t and get away with it. Time to put that right.

On a related subject many of us moan and groan about ridiculous KO times dictated by the TV companies but many of us still subscribe to Sky or ESPN.

Sky don't need the SPL, that was proven when they walked back in 2000. Which is why our TV deal is, in comparison to the EPL, shite. We get a fraction of the money, all the mince kick off times and sub standard commentators and summarisers. However the SPL clubs need the Sky deal or some of them will go out of business or down the same road as Rangers. I'm still dying to find out what the fans of Stranraer et al think about this giving the way they all moaned about Livingston making their league uncompetitive. Personally, I don't give a toss whether they get back in or not.

Interesting.

I'm sure the Club execs up and down the country would be hoping that this very negative feeling from the paying public would mellow over the coming months or some of it is talk.

Does this 'never go back to the football' extend to Champions League or Europa Leage matches? Plum draws away in the Cups or Cup Finals? If, for example, the opeing day of the season was Ross County vs Motherwell at Victoria Park (not going to happen now).....how many would turn that down? Honest and serious questions here.

The sad thing is I have seen many disgraceful decisions over the years.....and although attendances (possibly in the away ends) have dropped, a lot of us have kept going back.

I think the Clubs expect this to happen no matter what goes on.

Motherwell vs Hibs, Hearts, ICT, Killie, Aberdeen and in reverse I expect to be the same, attendance wise, if I am being honest.

Motherwell vs Celtic or Rangers and in reverse I CAN see being boycotted. However, at that stage where Govan Rangers are in the SPL and we are a quarter of the way through the season I'm not sure what that will achieve. By that point they are in th SPL and off Scot free. Apart from zero history and no trophies to their name.

As I said August 4th is going to be very interesting.

Sky don't need the SPL, that was proven when they walked back in 2000. Which is why our TV deal is, in comparison to the EPL, shite. We get a fraction of the money, all the mince kick off times and sub standard commentators and summarisers.

This comparison between our league and the EPL really does my head in. There is no comparison at all, simple as that. Why our television deal, pay structure, quality of teams or whatever should be compared to the English league is beyond me. Is it because they are just over the border?

Why not compare our league to other nations of similar size? Ireland? Wales? Denmark? Norway?

Sky don't really need any football deal other than the English Premiership. That doesn't mean they won't want to carry our games, just like they do other football leagues.

The problem I have with Rangers walking back into the SPL is the fact that it basically puts the legitimacy of the league into serious question. We know that a similar pass wouldn't be issued to any of the other ten clubs.

If it happens I'll walk. There's more than enough other sports out there that can offer me better value for money and more excitement as it is. This would just be the final straw to push me over the edge.

In all seriousness I'm interested in how many WOULD stop going to Fir Park due to what looks like happening.....................as utterly disgusting as it is.

I've been isolated from a lot of the media speculation and talk on this

but in all seriousness, If Rangers are liquadated AND found are guilty of any of the 7? charges against them due to misconduct/wrongdoing in the last few decades.

then if they are SPL members next year, I will not be attending SPL matches

I will probably attend most of the cup matches I can get to, and could be persuaded to attend individual benefit matches to keep clubs alive if they vote against the proposed 'look after rangers' farce.

but the SPL should be closed down, if the do 'look after' Rangers newco.

Rangers from the outside look to have taken money out of Scottish football at the expense of other teams for many years, by corrupt, immoral practices whilst spending more than they earned even allowing for the financial wrongdoings, Gretna only spent outwith their means and were sent to the bottom of Scottish football.

This is all speculative, if Rangers arrange a satisfactory CVA and there are no illegal contracts, then next season should be as normal , just as has been for all the other clubs that went through Admin, I find it quite astounding that the SPL, think they can just make up new financial fairplay rules and apply them retrospectively against a club who are already in admin, what a complete and utter legal clusterfuck that would develop into

What is it happened with Leeds? Weren't they allowed to stay in the league as a newco? If so, do people see English football as having zero integrity and refuse to watch it?

Just because something has been done elsewhere doesn't mean we have to accept it, does it? I personally couldn't give a toss about the lower reaches of the English league.

What is it happened with Leeds? Weren't they allowed to stay in the league as a newco? If so, do people see English football as having zero integrity and refuse to watch it?

the vast majority of people being asked this question across Scotland on many various websites and other media networks, do not have any financial interest in the English leagues.

if this situation pans out a particular way, as is looking quite possible , football fans across Scotland are being asked to fund, what will be proven to be a league with no sporting integrity or indeed fairplay.