Straight Question To The Board Of Mfc Re. Rangers Newco

Steve Diggle

147 members have voted

1. 1. Should The NEWCO Be Allowed Back Into The SPL?

The impact the punishment of Rangers has on us is unfortunate but fuckin tough titty basically.

They should be punished without fear or favour according to the laws of the game as they stand. And in the same way as any other club would.

If we don't have the stomach because it will impact us financially the we shouldn't punish them at all.

And I'll be off

• Like 1

If a club wants to back another club thats cheated and destroyed our game, over its own supporters and sporting integrity, to chase the dirty pound, then it raises the question what else would they do for their benefit, lose a game?

Our game needs to be overhauled from top to bottom. It will never happen without taking a step back first.

• Like 1

The impact the punishment of Rangers has on us is unfortunate but fuckin tough titty basically.

They should be punished without fear or favour according to the laws of the game as they stand. And in the same way as any other club would.

If we don't have the stomach because it will impact us financially the we shouldn't punish them at all.

And I'll be off

And that is the only statement the decision makers should be reading!

BigStall is right in my opinion.

Motherwell fans not renewing season tickets will only serve to hurt Motherwell Football Club.

If you believe media etc. us fans paying into the Well Society rather than the Rangers Fighting Fund is hurting Motherwell just as much :whistling:

Is there any circumstance which any of you would accept that allowed a newco straight into the SPL?

eg would folk be happy if the voting system changed, tv money was more evenly split, gate reciepts were split 75% - 25% and newco were to have points deducted for 1,2 or 3 seasons?

Personally, if newco walking into the SPL without any changes, I'd walk away but if at least the 1st three of the above were met and possibly a 1 year points deduction, then if I thought the scottish game would be more competetive and fair I'd stay.

To me it's much more important to have the voting structure changed than anything else. If the voting structure is changed the possibility of making major changes in the future won't depend on extraordinary circumstances cropping up and the OF monopoly will be effectively broken.

Obviously Rangers should be punished as severely as possible but if you are being realistic about it there is going to have to be some kind of compromise position found. I don't think anyone knows what that would involve at this stage when things are still so fluid but eventually it will come down to the strength of the various parties. Rangers may be weakened, even severely weakened, but they still carry a lot of clout.

Put it simply Rangers are not going to go away and that's why we have to play a long game here. The greatest single impediment to the other SPL clubs is the SPL voting structure. Even if Rangers were expelled from the SPL you could be fairly certain another club would soon fill Rangers seat and the chances of getting anything passed with an 11-1 majority would be virtually impossible.

Our single focus here should be to ensure increased democracy within the SPL power structure. If that is done we will be living in a whole new world of possibilities.

• Like 1

All this only becomes relevant if they liquidate, if our club vote them back in then to be honest they can't complain about lack of home fans ever again cos they'll have pissed of a lot of diehards. Lack of revenue will come whatever happens cos if Newco are voted in we'll lose money from agnry Well fans, if not we'll lose money from h**s, best take the right option and vote them out if it comes to it, hopefully it won't though.

All this only becomes relevant if they liquidate, if our club vote them back in then to be honest they can't complain about lack of home fans ever again cos they'll have pissed of a lot of diehards. Lack of revenue will come whatever happens cos if Newco are voted in we'll lose money from agnry Well fans, if not we'll lose money from h**s, best take the right option and vote them out if it comes to it, hopefully it won't though.

If the SPL doesn't take Rangers back in then you can be sure the Scottish League will. Rangers would be back in the SPL in 3 or 4 seasons. The idea that Rangers are just going to disappear is wishful thinking at best.

Better to have them burdened by penalties and finances and struggling in the SPL than having them storm up the leagues a la Gretna with wind in their sails while probably making a fortune from vastly reduced overheads and big crowds.

From what I understand there are some people at Rangers themselves who would rather go down to Division 3 because they know in the long run it's beneficial for them.

As a fully paid up member of the Well Society, I'd also like to know where our club stand on this

Me and Diggle are thinking about starting a new football team / company next season - maybe the SPL will allow us straight in? We reckon we would get a good following

What we can't offer is a history of board sanctioned anti-catholic policy, large scale riots (on and off the pitch) in large cities all over Europe, racism, UEFA fines for sectarian chanting and cheating (non-payment to creditors and Inland Revenue). Oh, and alleged dual contracts

Don't forget these c*nts also invaded our pitch in the 70's to try to get the game abandoned.

From what I can see supporters of every club are against allowing a new football club / company straight into the SPL

• Like 2

Better to have them burdened by penalties and finances and struggling in the SPL than having them storm up the leagues a la Gretna with wind in their sails while probably making a fortune from vastly reduced overheads and big crowds.

Not totally sure about this, I mean, probably, but I'm unconvinced. If the transfer ban is still in place they'll have a team over under 18s out on the pitch, which in all honesty, could go anywhere. I'd imagine they'd still rise from the third division to the SPL fairly quickly, but with the same Gretna analogy, they're still going to have to pay players large sums to come and spend a couple of seasons with them in the 2nd and first division. Rangers without a television deal and relying solely on supporters through the gates is a bit dodge. Sure the fans say they'd love to go to the third division, but are they going to turn out to watch a pish Rangers team go toe-to-toe with a pish 3rd division team on a Tuesday night?

As well as that, how is a team of 16, 17 and 18 year olds going to react when they go a goal down at Ibrox to Elgin? How are the fans going to react?

If the NewCo question comes, hunt them. Make them reapply for the Scottish league structure like anyone else would have to. That's what would happen to any other club, so a bit of consistency would be nice.

They've cheated for decades, while belittling the rest of the league, batting their eyelashes at England and moaned about how pish Scottish football is while giving it their 'WEARRAPEEPIL' nonsense. All of that built on funny money, all of that at our and the rest of Scottish football's detriment.

Also worth remembering that almost ten years ago to the day, David Murray hounded Airdrie for money on a matter of principle which just about finished them as a club. What goes around comes around. No sympathy whatsoever, no special treatment.

Aye let's just give the green light to a bunch of cheats who have disadvantaged our club (and the rest) for decades.

As long as the hordes turn up and pay at the gate they can continue to shaft us rotten and cuff us in every competition imaginable - even though thry can't afford the players who do it.

Principled football fans - what next?

Personally couldn't give a flying f..k what our board vote - Motherwell are my team and I certainly won't disadvantage them.

we'll see if anyone is principled enough to miss a champions league qualifier at fir park :evilgrin:

Aye let's just give the green light to a bunch of cheats who have disadvantaged our club (and the rest) for decades.

As long as the hordes turn up and pay at the gate they can continue to shaft us rotten and cuff us in every competition imaginable - even though thry can't afford the players who do it.

Both sides of the divide have shafted us, in varying degrees over the years, from paying under the odds for players to intimidating officials and manipulating television deals to their own ends.

Wasn't that long ago that the same charge was being levelled at us - the cheats element that is. We tried to finance success with money we didn't have, the only difference was who the money was owed to.

By all means do what your principles dictate, but again all you will be doing is penalising your club, while the 'hoardes' continue to follow their team, without so much as blush.

I am happy that the board will act in the best interests of my club and if they and the rest are able to achieve change as a result, then the SPL may become a better, less ill divided place.

we'll see if anyone is principled enough to miss a champions league qualifier at fir park :evilgrin:

Given just about everyone who has talked about chucking it has referred solely to the SPL, I don't envisage too great a problem there. ;)

Surely if some fans are talking about plans to boycott the SPL, due to having strong principles on the outcome of the current situation, then it follows that the same fans will also need to boycott future European ties as well, given that is the reward for success in said competition?

Unless of course it is gained through the Scottish Cup...

Or does morals not come in to it when we're talking about a few Continental nights away on the bevvy?

one thing I don't understand is people saying that rangers (and celtic) have screwed every scottish club for years - something that 99.999999% of us already know - and that if thing don't change they won't be back at Fir Park next season on priciple - why the fuck have you been putting up with it going up to now?

Also, if the leagues rules change, the league becomes fairer and every other non OF club is in a better position to challenge the OF, why stop going on principle now when you were happy to go when it was unfair?

Surely if some fans are talking about plans to boycott the SPL, due to having strong principles on the outcome of the current situation, then it follows that the same fans will also need to boycott future European ties as well, given that is the reward for success in said competition?

Unless of course it is gained through the Scottish Cup...

Or does morals not come in to it when we're talking about a few Continental nights away on the bevvy?

I wouldn't agree with that, no. For a start, it's entirely up to the individual whether they want to boycott the SPL games and hit European ties anyway, there's no rulebook here. These fans don't "need" to do anything.

However, as I've said numerous times before, my main reason (admittedly among others) for giving up SPL football would be that I would simply lose the enthusiasm and excitement generated by genuine competitiveness, as I would feel that was pretty much chucked the moment a side proven of cheating for many years was simply ushered back into the league without facing substantial punishment. There's no competition in a league run that way. You could argue that there isn't much now but that, to me, takes it to an entirely new and unacceptable level.

This is entirely the reason why I'm also very rarely at friendly matches.

However, cup competitions - be them Scottish, League, Europe or any other - would still hold that certain level of excitement and anticipation to them and, allied to the fact I could never cut the chord from Motherwell entirely, I would attend those.

Whether you agree with that or think that everyone who boycotts SPL matches should also stay away from European games isn't really relevant. There's actually no reason why anyone considering chucking it should have to justify their actions or fit into a preconceived notion of what is and isn't allowed next season.

Also, if the leagues rules change, the league becomes fairer and every other non OF club is in a better position to challenge the OF, why stop going on principle now when you were happy to go when it was unfair?

You're generalising. I've already said that I personally will continue as I am now should Rangers face appropriate punishment or the opportunity is taken to make the league fairer.

Jay,

not aimed at you personally, more towards those saying that even a faired league wont be enough to allow them to return - everyday in life people have to make compromises and I'm just trying to figure out why some folk are unwilling to accept a compromise on this.

Jay,

not aimed at you personally, more towards those saying that even a faired league wont be enough to allow them to return - everyday in life people have to make compromises and I'm just trying to figure out why some folk are unwilling to accept a compromise on this.

Fair enough. Everyone has their different opinions and situations. I think what needs to be kept in mind is that everyone considering chucking the SPL has unique circumstances - some will have young families, others will be struggling for cash etc - and perhaps they feel that this would scunner them enough that the sacrifices they make would no longer be worth it.

It's not all as black and white as people are trying to make it.

Personally, when I say that I will chuck the SPL if Rangers are welcomed back in without suitable punishment or without the opportunity being taken to make the league fairer, I am being 100% genuine. I am not being melodramatic or 'spouting hot air'. This is for the reasons I've already given.

However, I'm also honest enough to hold my hands up and admit that come the first SPL game of the season I don't know if I could genuinely stay away. That's something I can't actually answer until it happens.

• Like 1