Motherwell V St Johnstone

FrazMFC96

Think the players were just a bit tired today and I understand that. Back to winning days against Killie next week I hope. No-one should be getting worried yet

What worries me the most is that we just don't carry any threat up front. We create very little in the way of chances and really don't look like scoring. Our goal today was actually our first in our last six competitive matches, so it's quite clear where one of our major problems lie.

Unless we can bring in another striker and a left sided midfielder who can offer something different or at least better service to the frontline then we are going to have a very long season I fear. Problem is though that I don't see us being able to bring in such players.

What worries me the most is that we just don't carry any threat up front. We create very little in the way of chances and really don't look like scoring. Our goal today was actually our first in our last six competitive matches, so it's quite clear where one of our major problems lie.

Unless we can bring in another striker and a left sided midfielder who can offer something different or at least better service to the frontline then we are going to have a very long season I fear. Problem is though that I don't see us being able to bring in such players.

I don't agree we need another striker, but I do agree we've been struggling to score. As I've said, we pass the ball and keep possession well, but when it comes to the point of playing that killer ball or creating a chance for the forward line, we've been found void of ideas. Apart from the handful of usual suspects on here, I think the majority of 'Well fans are perfectly confident in Higdon putting away chances - but he needs service and that's been missing so far this season.

It may just be one of those things that clicks into place after a few weeks, or we may need to look at shifting the system around or adding to the squad. That'll be down to McCall. I'm far from worried yet though.

1-1 is possibly a result you might have been a little disappointed at before the game but considering we were 1-0 down with 10 men with less than half an hour to go, on the back of the midweek exertions, its a result I was more than happy to take.

I thought the first half was very similar to a lot of what we've seen already this season. Lots of possession and plenty spraying around the park but really lacking a cutting edge.

Last season we were on the front foot within about 15 minutes of the season starting and the confidence visibly flowed from there-on-in. Maybe we just need to get our noses in front in a game so we can build and take things from there.

But it never quite happened. Saints looked fairly dangerous on the break but perhaps the closest they came was through Randy.

Half-time I thought the change was quite a positive one but Saints were comfortably the better side before and after the game seemed to turn their way. Without having seen it again I wondered if the penalty was more a case of 2nd time lucky as there was a challenge where Hasselbaink went down shortly before where I was waiting from Brines to point to the spot. The sending off thereafter seemed particularly harsh - though as has been said if he was going by the letter of the law then perhaps there's no room for argument there.

It was a bit of a sickener conceding when we had subs lined up to come on. As for the subbies themselves Francis-Angol coming on seemed logical, taking Lasley off seemed a little less so.

The next quarter of an hour was pretty hard viewing and it seemed almost inevitable that St Johnstone would put the game to bed. Great to equalise out of the blue and add to what is becoming a very decent record of eeking out results a man down.

And then we almost won the bloody thing with Mannus clawing away a Higdon header and Hutchie's effort being blocked on the line.

Certainly mixed emotions after the last quarter of an hour.

Apart from the handful of usual suspects on here, I think the majority of 'Well fans are perfectly confident in Higdon putting away chances - but he needs service and that's been missing so far this season.

Yes, I for one like Higdon and if he was given the right support and service then he'll get goals for us. But he's being asked to plough a lone furrow because he gets no service from the flanks and when he's playing alongside Ojamaa he'd be aswell playing as a lone striker because he contributes nothing to the team from what I can see. He is greedy, his ball use is poor and he is not a team player. That does not make a good strike partner for a player like Higdon.

I agree that McHugh should get his chance of starting against Killie next week but the fact remains that we really need reinforcements to that squad.

Yes, I for one like Higdon and if he was given the right support and service then he'll get goals for us. But he's being asked to plough a lone furrow because he gets no service from the flanks

I'd agree with that. So far this season I'd suggest he's had one example of good service from out wide - his header today which was flying in if it wasn't for an outstanding save from the Saints keeper. Other than that, I'm struggling to think of another decent example.

One thing I think we're lacking when it comes to creating is actually a defensive player funnily enough. I don't think it's any coincidence that without Jennings we suddenly find ourselves passing the ball on the edge of the opposition box. With Lasley and Jenno providing great protection to the defence, guys like Law, Ojamaa and Murphy could take a chance with a run beyond the defenders or taking players on, with insurance that we still had a very capable partnership providing cover. Take Jennings out and replace him with Law and suddenly that insurance goes. I wouldn't be surprised now if these same guys are now more worried about losing the ball and being caught out than trying to create something.

It could be an argument for drafting Cummins back into centre half and moving Ramsden into the midfield, allow him and Lasley to provide the defensive cover. Again though, it's all ifs and buts this early on in the season IMO. So far we've had two games against Panathinaikos, a tough opener against the First Division champions on a high from last season, and a home game where any rhythm to the match has been broken up by a terrible official. I'll give it another few matches to form any real opinions on this season.

we can't really complain too much about the performance given wednesday night's exertions but some of mccall's choices were baffling. starting omar was stupid so no credit for subbing him off but it seemed like we were playing a 4-2-4 at the start of the second half, murphy and ojaama looked to have been told not to track back. we got outnumbered at the back before their penalty and it had happened a few times previously.

mccall not sending on ZFA straight after the red card was unbelievable, what is there to be gained by trotting down to cooper and back? we lost the corner they scored from our left back position when we had no left back on.

it is telling that the goal came when we had to ditch our usual tactics and go a bit more direct. it is also telling that it came from nicky law playing out the wing and using his quality in a dangerous area. get a centre mid in and a striker who can lead the line rather than engage in greco roman wrestling and we'll be fine.

hutchy was our motm by a mile for me and ramsden was decent at the back but his distribution was shocking, how many times did he just flight the ball into the middle of the park? get cummins in the team.

the goal came from Nicky Law getting up and at them after all the changes, the very thing we've been missing until that moment... when he got into the box and looked up and had three forwards to target

Murphy is all right footed and is completely wasted on the Left, it takes all of two or three attacks for the opposition to work out he's gonna run forward with the ball , stop dead, and try and work it inside onto his right foot.

Ojamma isnt much better on the right, Daley is mostly just a passenger, who infuriates as he clearly can play he's just choosing not to.

McHugh came on and sat off Higdons shoulder.

Hopefully McCall will stop just trying to fit all the senior? players in and setup a team tactically using them all, young or younger :ph34r:

The objective clearly was to retain possession and keep it low tempo first half to conserve energy, second half we fell apart the first 10-15 minutes and allowed them back in. We then showed good character to get the equaliser with 10 men, and could've won it with big Higgy and the Heeds blaze over at the end.

First visit to the Citadel for a while owing to various other commitments, encouraged by 'Arry and the Heed in the middle of defence. Great run out in the first half by Ramsden, canny mind the last time I saw a centre half with composure on the ball ending up in the oppo 18 yard box after a run. Deffo deserves to keep his plaice... The Heeds tackle on Hasslebaink in the box late on in the second was one that Tam Forsyth would've been proud of.

Quite like Lasley and Law in the middle, but without the Hump we are unbalanced, particularly with Omar and Ojaama off form as they were today. Smith and McHugh were OK, could do with a coupla signings to beef us up in the middle/oot wide as others have said, however this may be unrealistic in the current climate.

Decent point in the end up , all things considered . Boab deserves a start at killie next week after coming in for an impressive 45 today . Personally would put him in for Ojamaa , and also drop Daley , putting Cummins alongside Hutch and try Ramsden in middle with Las , as hes supposed to be quite versatile , which would maybe allow Law to sit wider and give us the threat we are lacking in the final 3rd .

I quite enjoyed today despite it not being the best football on show.

St Johnstone could have been out of sight after going 1-0 up but we somehow dug in deep while running on empty and got an unlikely but well worked goal.

For me, we don't need a striker. What we do need is a Jennings replacement. Law is doing an incredible shift in midfield but his link-up play and creativity is required further up the pitch to bring the best out of our front men.

Im actually happy with a point today. Motherwell teams in the past would've certainly lost this type of game. I think and have been saying for a while now that McHugh should get a run in the team and i still believe that we'll get goals once Humprey comes back. Daley's not good enough simple as that. On the plus side i thought big Hutchie and Ramsden did well and the young midfielder we brought on 2nd half [cant remember his name} :blush: Did ok too.It's early days and after a torrid time in Greece today was always going to be a bit flat. So a week's rest/training to get us focussed on Killie next sat. :cheers:

Thought today was a well fought point all things considered.

The defence certainly dug in despite being evidently gubbed for most of the game. Hutchy was terrific but even his tiredness showed with a couple of slack balls that put us under pressure.

I think Lasley being under the weather stopped him being his usual busy self and as much as Law has been terrific in the centre thus far and done superbly to create our goal today, it was the first time competitively I've thought we have missed him out wide and missed an anchorman in midfield. There were a good few times St. Johnstone broke and there was no one in "that" area.

I really dislike slating Motherwell players, but it's hard not to with Daley, another wasteful performance today. For a guy who allegedly once beat Usain Bolt in a sprint, allegedly being the operative word, he never wants to run. There was one point today where he was put through and was either 3 on 2 or 3 on 3 with St. Johnstone defenders. Instead of using his alleged pace to get in behind or draw the defenders out he toe poked it over the top to Ojamaa and then resumed standing with his hands on his hips. Would honestly sooner throw a youngster in before letting him anywhere near the first team again. Surely McCall must have words with him about how much of a lazy barsteward he is.

I would start McHugh against Killie next week. Last season when he scored what should have been the winner against Hibs (another one of the SFA's useless clowns Collum intervened there) and the winner against Hearts, he could have gathered momentum but the following week he was left on the bench all game and then got injured for six weeks and lost any potential gathered momentum. With the many games we have to play in August, he will definitely need to play a part, so let him continue that next week.

Surprised but pleased to see most folk on here taking a mostly balanced and understanding view of the game today, because some of the pish I heard being spouted from the Cooper was incredible at times.

Today was always going to be a tough one after Wednesday, so a point is decent, especially in the circumstances against a Saints side that have freshened up significantly in the close season.

The abuse Hately gets at times is ridiculous. We all know he is not the best full back in the world but he never chucks it, regardless of how he is playing. If Daly, Ojamma and Murphy showed a fraction of his commitment and enthusiasm, we may have scored more than 1 goal in the last 6. Time after time today he burst a gut to run 60 yards and give the midfield the overlap, never to get the ball and mostly managed to get himself back in position.

Some folk need to have a reality check about who we are and what we have a right to expect from our players. Hately does the best he can with his ability.

I thought we looked more balanced when McHugh came on, he looks like the best option for getting someone close to Higdon and picked up a few of his knock ons. Took his goal well and should start next week.

Hard to see how to balance the rest of it up for the best but a couple of new faces would certainly help.

I think we have shown enough in the 2 champions league games to give us encouragement for the season ahead, we just need to be more positive and less critical as a support to get the best out of the team.

'We are all Stuart McCall'

Mad to think we should be worrying. 2 games and 2 points. Whilst not setting the world on fire its not the worst ever.

Midfield to front is lacking a bit of class. No great passes and no great movement means it was a bit stale. No player stood out for me as being the culprit nor the best player.

In fairness though the boys fought back extremely well, when it looked beyond them, and must take credit for that.

In saying that, what frustrated me today more than anything was Randolphs distribution under no pressure. Has to improve in my opinion.

Went home fairly happy though.

The abuse Hately gets at times is ridiculous. We all know he is not the best full back in the world but he never chucks it, regardless of how he is playing.

I for one think Hateley is a tremendous full back. Don't fancy him in midfield much, but there aren't many SPL right backs I'd have before him.

• Like 1

I thought both teams played really well in an entertaining first half but they both lacked quality in the second half although St. Johnstone were marginally better and deserved to take the lead but then they seemed to lose their way when we equalised and we managed to lift it a bit. How we didn't manage to get a second from the stramash in front of goal and from Higdon's header I'll never know - I honestly did not think it possible for their goalie to save that.

Law had a good first half and seemed to disappear in the second until taking the man on to create the goal. Ojamma was completely anonymous and with him and Daley we seemed to be playing with two passengers. I can only assume Lasley was knackered or had taken a knock but Carswell did well when he came on and showed some nice touches.

Best player on the park though was Hasselbank who seems transformed from his Accies or St. Mirren days. As for Vine, I'm sure he's a decent player but he had one of the worst performances I've ever seen culminating in a fresh air shot and then getting sent off. On that evidence I'm not sure how much game time he'll get now they've signed Beattie.