St Mirren Game

FrazMFC96

An awful lot of negativity around just now but I think it's fair to say that 6 points from the opening four games and still undefeated is a plus point. We haven't played particularly well, in fact we've been pretty awful in our two home games but we still managed to get something from them and considering both were on the back of European ties and have a threadbare squad, that's not a bad return.

Once Thursday's out the way we can start fully focussing on our most important priority, how we fare in the SPL and that can't come quick enough for me.

is there a big gap between qualification and the groups like!? :whistling:

The ref. Didn't see hutch on the ground until we won the ball and he had a look round to see hutch holding his head that's why he blew whistle as we had ball. CORRECT DECISION although infuriating!

Brines was telling Norris to stop the game when St Mirren had the ball, so he knew Hutchinson was down before we got the ball back.

So to say McCall and Black have been found out seems a bit over the top.

I did not say they have been found out what I wrote was "but this campaign they are being caught out big time". There's a big difference.

For the record I think that both have done a very good job so far but they have made mistakes. This season has been very difficult so far with a very thin squad and injuries/suspensions but I still think they have made significant mistakes in some of our early games. We all make mistakes but that doesn't mean to say we're bad at our jobs.

I see from MFCTV that it looks like Thompson had a kick at Hutch causing the incident in the box - 3 match suspension? Who do I write to?

Does the SFA/ SPL etc take notice of club's own TV coverage? It was strange that the Sportscene 'coverage' showed footage from behind the goal for a Randolph save but didn't deem it suitable to show anything about what may or not have happened between the 2 of them. Here's a controversial thought, anything at all to do with Thompson being their flavour of the month?

I see from MFCTV that it looks like Thompson had a kick at Hutch causing the incident in the box - 3 match suspension? Who do I write to?

Vincent Lunny.

This is where the system falls down. If the media, for whatever reason, decide not to screen an incident then the chances are that it won't be investigated.

1346095062[/url]' post='357818']

Does the SFA/ SPL etc take notice of club's own TV coverage? It was strange that the Sportscene 'coverage' showed footage from behind the goal for a Randolph save but didn't deem it suitable to show anything about what may or not have happened between the 2 of them. Here's a controversial thought, anything at all to do with Thompson being their flavour of the month?

I'm sure this was covered last season too. They lost access to it for the craigan red card against Dunfermline too. I have a feeling that the sfa/SPL have said they've not to broadcast anything that will be investigated/would cause controversy.

Here's a controversial thought, anything at all to do with Thompson being their flavour of the month?

The thought crossed my mind too, as you say, presumably they had a camera running behind the goals, and Thompson seems to be a favourite for their tv and radio shows...

I did not say they have been found out what I wrote was "but this campaign they are being caught out big time". There's a big difference.

For the record I think that both have done a very good job so far but they have made mistakes. This season has been very difficult so far with a very thin squad and injuries/suspensions but I still think they have made significant mistakes in some of our early games. We all make mistakes but that doesn't mean to say we're bad at our jobs.

Correct. McCall was pretty close to faultless last season in the SPL but this season he has made mistakes in both the home games in particular. He was too slow with the sub against St Johnstone and left us with a poor formation that cost us a goal from a set play. On Sunday we invited too much pressure on ourselves because the formation we had offered no stability at all and St Mirren were allowed too many chances to ping the ball in the box. Our players just don't seem to grasp how to play the 4-3-1-2 formation we tried on Sunday when the opposition have the ball which meant they ended up with far too much of the ball. If we are going to play that we need to solve that problem out or we will create ourselves lots of problems.

So you're saying everybody makes mistakes but at the same time complaining as if Stuart McCall isn't allowed to make any mistakes.

The way some people on here go on it seems that if our players don't play like Barcelona every week and the manager doesn't use the tactics they want then they're all useless. Sometimes you just have to accept that the opposition have played well. Is every point we earn only due to the other team playing badly?

So you're saying everybody makes mistakes but at the same time complaining as if Stuart McCall isn't allowed to make any mistakes.

The way some people on here go on it seems that if our players don't play like Barcelona every week and the manager doesn't use the tactics they want then they're all useless. Sometimes you just have to accept that the opposition have played well. Is every point we earn only due to the other team playing badly?

What I'm saying is if someone does well, which Stuart McCall did last year (very well in fact) then they deserve credit, which he was given. If they make mistakes or don't do so well then they deserve constructive criticism which I think I've done to some extent this season. Even someone doing a good or very good job isn't perfect and makes mistakes. Whats wrong with that?

This season, I can't speak for the games in Athens or Kilmarnock as I wasn't at them. However to win at Kilmarnock would suggest the players and SM did well. So that leaves home games against Panathanaikos, Levante, St Johnstone, and St Mirren and an away game at Dingwall. I don't think we played well in any of them. Not saying we should have won them all of course. Now thats not all down to Stuart McCall. We have a very thin squad; there have been injuries; despite SM's best efforts players can play badly on the day - which quite a few have done; and we've had a taxing European campaign.

However these factors alone don't explain our failure, as a team, to play as well as we could have done. I happen to think that Stuart McCall could have used fringe players (McHugh, Page, Francis Angol and Carswell) slightly more than he has done, thereby keeping first picks a bit fresher. Quite a few others have made exactly the same point. Then we come to tactics. At Dingwall we showed no imagination whatsoever; against St Mirren the formation was all wrong and we allowed our opponents the freedom of the wings to rain cross after cross into 2 big strikers. Jamie Murphy (one of my favourite players) isn't suited to his current roving role; Nicky Law is being wasted in a deeper role; our build up is slow, laboured and predictable despite having three fast guys in Humphrey, Ojamaa and Murphy. Finally, our set pieces have in the main been consistently very poor. These points have been made by many others incidentally.

Now its quite possible that even if we had played to our full potential that this would not have resulted in a single better result, not one. As you say we are not Barcelona (or even Barnsley). But my main gripe, so far, is that we have not done ourselves justice. In most of the games I've mentioned we could have played considerably better and quite a few folk have said just that.

Just for the record I thought that Levante's defensive tactics were absolutely spot on Ross County are a very hard team to beat and St Mirren are a half decent team.

Hopefully that explains my view.