Rangers V Motherwell

Bop

In my opinion, barring the game at Kilmarnock, we have yet to look entirely convincing or anywhere near the standard we played at last season.

Last night was a hard one to take, as many have said we were carrying the hope of practically every team in the country and we just didn't cut it.

I'll be at Fir Park on Saturday but believe a heavy defeat could spell trouble.

So McCall is in the paper(record) saying "credit to the rangers fans for getting behind their team". Is this guy for real? Praising the rangers fans but no words for the suffering thousand dossers who had to endure that shite last night!

The guy is really gettin under my skin now. He doesn't even hide where his allegiances lie now.

Just gone through the torture of watching the highlights on BBC web with most of the action being at the opposite end from where we were wanted to get more views...

Law through on keeper where was the effort and creativity to go bye the keeper and draw the foul didn't realise how much space and time he had.

McCulloch goal again we switch off at the corner even though Randy had been screaming to go out and close down and then when the ball comes in why is it left to Las to mark McCulloch #schoolboydefending

Shiels goal, in the initial build up Hutch comes across to the right side and wins the ball and then instead of putting it in the top tear tries to keep it in play and they get the ball and our shape has gone again!

For me to similar mistakes to the Dons game and if we the simple fans can see these why haven't McCall and Black seen them and either made changes or sorted things out. From a team who over the last two seasons have been solid at the back with club record amounts of clean sheets we look like we can conceed at any time right now.

So McCall is in the paper(record) saying "credit to the rangers fans for getting behind their team". Is this guy for real? Praising the rangers fans but no words for the suffering thousand dossers who had to endure that shite last night!

The guy is really gettin under my skin now. He doesn't even hide where his allegiances lie now.

That's a bit harsh John.....

It is harsh but FFS it seems that all he ever does in interviews pre and post match is talk them up. The Motherwell fans who were there last night were badly let down and they should be at the forefront of McCall's mind rather than mentioning the bile brigade.

We encouraged their fans to create an atmosphere by allowing ourselves to be bullied at every turn.

Aye, McCulloch gave Lasley dogs abuse and Keith just appeared to stand and take it. I don't like McCulloch but if he had been playing in Claret and Amber last night he would .....

......not have lasted the full game, he'd have been off in the first half way he was carrying on. Another spineless refereeing performance, only matched by the team in C&A btw.

• Like 2

Not sure if there is any meaning behind this or not but its been deathly quiet from all the players on twitter last night and this morning. Usually one or two of them pop up with a comment or two after a game, be it win, lose or draw.

Hopefully this shows they are as embarrassed by their performance as we are and McCall has them in first thing this morning for a severe boot up the arse before Celtic on Saturday.

We either need to play to the strengths of Chris Humphrey (knock it over the top for him to chase) or not play him at all. He is a luxury we can't afford. He does not have the ability to beat a man, and get a decent ball in - which for me is the definition of a winger. There is little point in bombing forward and checking back every single time, teams wise up to this. I'm surprised he never checked back when he was going off the pitch when subbed. It speaks volumes for his lack of ability when Omar came on and done more in the last 10 than he managed all game - and he's well past his best.

Also, why on earth would you take off Tam Hately? His delivery from corner's, and potential threat from set plays, are one of our strengths as a team, and you take him off and replace him with Murphy? Maybe one of the first games I've saw both full backs subbed too.

We looked out of idea's int he final third. Knocking the ball side to side is not going to get you goals. We have a decent presence in the air in the form of big Higdon yet we seldom give him the service. Pointless playing him if we are not going to use that massive part of his game.

Heartless performance. If we play like that week in week out, we are going to find it hard to remain in the top 6.

im avoiding reading a paper the day but if mccall is praising the rangers fans then the guy needs to have a serious word with himself thats a disgraceful comment to make

Not sure if there is any meaning behind this or not but its been deathly quiet from all the players on twitter last night and this morning. Usually one or two of them pop up with a comment or two after a game, be it win, lose or draw.

Hopefully this shows they are as embarrassed by their performance as we are and McCall has them in first thing this morning for a severe boot up the arse before Celtic on Saturday.

Standard practice even from the official MFC feed. Just my opinion mind and others will disagree but one or two come across as being more interested in the team they support than the games they actually play in.

Nicky Law and Adam Cummins for the avoidance of doubt.

Right, here goes...

Firstly, the mitigating factors.

There was a huge amount of pressure on us last night. Almost every other SPL fan would have been desperate for us to win to put "them" in their place (I say almost, I suspect some Celtic fans would have been cheering them on hoping for an Old Firm game in later rounds). An unusual postion for our players to be in. I suspect more neutral fans wanted us to win last night than when we played in Europe representing Scotland. Some of this will have filtered through to the players. The expectation level was only increased by the fact we're top of nthe league at the minute. It wasn't just "SPL Motherwell against third division Rangers", it was "top of the SPL Motherwell against third division Rangers". None of our players are frankly used to that level of expectation or pressure. The other teams that have faced Rangers this season have been able to go in free from expectation or pressure. None of our guys have played at a level/club where they have had that level of nexpectation before. Did some of them freeze? Or were some of them looking at Rangers results and thinking that we only had to turn up to win? Before criticising McCall's pre-match comments, I'd wonder if it was the case and he was trying to focus the players minds. Add in the fact it was Rangers biggest game of the season (at least until the next round) and the fact the pressure was totally off them (McCoist has been banging the drum about how they've lost so many millions worth of talent long enough that some of the media are buyng it) and it explains a bit whey they started like they'd been drinking red bull and we started like we'd be drinking red wine.

Our horrendous record against Rangers is a factor. You can argue that only Hammell, Lasley, Murphy and Hateley have been around for much of that time but you can be sure it is something everyone at the club is aware of. It gets brought up on here every time we play them so you be sure they know about it (and you can be sure that McCoist made his players only too aware of it as well). It must take a psychological toll. You can argue that it should make players even more determined to set it right but if you fail at something often enough, every time you try there must a small voice in the back of your head telling you "you can't do this". You look back to Jim O'Brien's penalty or Ross Forbes being wrongly flagged offside and you start to wonder. Was the third round in 91 not the first time we had won at Pittodrie is something like 40 years? Sometimes these runs just happen.

Ok, that's it for mitigation...

Truly dreadful performance, Wouldn't have been the lineup I'd have gone with. Kerr has looked decent since coming into the team but the last couple of games his form has shaded a touch, coincidentally at the same time as Humphrey's. I'd have paired up Hateley with Humphrey not so much to keep Hateley out of midfield (that would have been a bonus, perhaps) but to offer reassurance to Humphrey that someone he has played in front of for over a hundred games is behind him and he would know what to expect in terms of Hateley's use of the ball, positioning and general play. I would have played Law in the middle and Murphy out left as a signal of our intent to go for it. Might have given the right side of a back four that has looked ropey on occasions something to think about, rather than Law drifting inside into traffic. I'd also have played McHugh instead of Ojamaa. This Rangers team has struggled to keep clean sheets against lower league teams. Do these teams play with a striker dropping deep with almost a free role? No, they concentrate on getting balls into the box and getting bodies in there to get on the end of it. I'd have played Higdon and McHugh and told them not to move any wider than the edges of the penalty box. Exert the maximum pressure on a back four that must have its weaknesses. Would this team lineup have made a difference? Maybe not if the individuals performed as they did last night but it might have caused them at least a few problems. Could single out individuals buit what's the point, no one played to the level they can do. Quicker to mention guys who did a decent job. Randolph couldn't do much at either goal and Higdon tried manfully with the service he got. Actually thought Hateley had a decent first half in midfield, but reckon we needed him more at right back.

Rangers started on the front foot. It felt almost like playing against Celtic in the 90s, they would come out to try and blow you off the park in the first ten minutes but if you rode it out, then you could get yourself into the game. That Celtic team were very much like a heavyweight boxer that if he didn't knock you on yoiur arse on the first round, he started to panic. Difference last night was that we panicked and Rangers didn't. Watching the game, I really do think that some of our players thought it would be easy and the start unnerved them and they never recovered. If you look back at our previous wins over Rangers and Celtic, we had guys who seemed impervious to pressure in the big games, guys like Nijholt, McFadden and Coyle or guys who'd been around the block and seen it all before, people like Cooper, Russell, Coyne and Krivokapic. Sadly it's very difficult to change someone's personality or give them the experience of playing for a massive club where there is pressure. So we're left with the trying to instill belief in a group of players who seem somewhat timid when it comes to these games.

Truly gutted today, if not surprised. Gloating Rangers' fans? We just need to take it on the chin. Not much we can say to defend our team today. A lot of us have enjoyed laughing at their expense over the summer and the last few weeks (and I'm sure we will again). If we dish it out, we need to take it...

• Like 5

they started like they'd been drinking red bull and we started like we'd be drinking red wine.

this quote sums up the entire 90 mins for me.

they were hungrier.....not better, just hungrier , and it showed.

another non-performance from Motherwell on the park, tied in with getting spat on from above, and being seated along the segregation line , practically face to face with some of Govans "undesireables" , and having to look at some of the mutants at close range ......all things considered, I'm glad it's a few years before we need to go back there.

glad I never took my boy last night.........that would have been enough to put him off for life !

Having slept on it, my feelings are the same.

The was an embarrassing performance from us. I think McCall needs to change a few things on Saturday. I'd drop Kerr, Cummins and Humphrey and bring in Ramsden, Murphy and Daley. Move Hateley back to RB, which is his best position no arguments, Law into CM, Murphy wide left and Daley wide right.

• Like 1

Noticed the lack of Twitter updates from the players. Fucking right they should be embarrassed.

Good to see McCall getting the criticism he deserves after last night. He's taken all the praise, quite rightly, but we've consistently churned out powderpuff shitebag performances against Rangers & Celtic since he took charge.

To those who are giving it "look at the bigger picture" line, that's a lot of pish. Last night was fucking abysmal, and McCall and the players deserve every bit of abuse they get. They've all taken the praise and I mentioned above, let's see if their men enough to handle the flak.

It's like saying about the guy down south, "He's been a great Maths teacher for a few years, the kids have had some excellent exam results in his time. Aye, we're disappointed he's fucked off to France with a 15-year old pupil, but we're not too disheartened".

We could be in a lot of bother when Celtic visit on Saturday.

• Like 1

Now sober & calmer but still pretty depressed after that display last night.

Sick of McCall before these games talking about Rangers constantly, gets under my skin.

In his interview on STV news before the game I don't think he even mentioned Motherwell once & if the earlier posts are true about praising the Rangers fans in his interview with the Record without even mentioning the fans who pay his wages, then that's very poor. You'd think he'd like to thank our biggest crowd @ Ibrox for years who travelled there for a midweek game that was live on terrestrial TV, for an awkward 19:15 kick off.

Can only look ahead to Saturday now, would be great if they could go out & get a result but I fear what may happen.

Would be delighted with a point to be honest but have a feeling we could ship 4 or 5.

Hopefully they'll go out with a point to prove & try & redeem themselves.

Slept on it as well, still fucked off.

Probably because I thought that is might be a bit different this time for all the reasons given by previous poster, left work early, drove through from Glasgow and bought my ticket drove back parked up walked a couple of miles to the game. Only to watch that steaming pile of pish, and have the joy of being surrounded by the scum giving us dogs abuse. While our team giving us absolutely sweet fuck all to cheer about.

More fool me, lesson learned.

1348746879[/url]' post='362513']

Having slept on it, my feelings are the same.

The was an embarrassing performance from us. I think McCall needs to change a few things on Saturday. I'd drop Kerr, Cummins and Humphrey and bring in Ramsden, Murphy and Daley. Move Hateley back to RB, which is his best position no arguments, Law into CM, Murphy wide left and Daley wide right.

No! No! And No again. This kid is lost to the game out there. A free role behind the front two is where he should have been deployed last night also.

As for the Daley chat...