Motherwell Vs Celtic Discussion Thread

David

I remember my early days supporting Motherwell in the early-mid nineties when we (even me) went into games against Celtic at Fir Park seriously believing we had a great chance of winning, which we indeed do on a good few occasions. Even in the late 90s when Celtic had got their act together we still fancied taking them at Fir Park.

And now? Now many 'Well fans - not me - see probably a defeat of less than 3 goals as some kind of moral victory.

I am keeping the faith. Whilst we might go below 1st place tomorrow, you don't turn into a bad team overnight. time to use all our resources, and for the manager to apply himself -due on STV news shortly to defend the players so it will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

I am keeping the faith. Whilst we might go below 1st place tomorrow, you don't turn into a bad team overnight. time to use all our resources, and for the manager to apply himself -due on STV news shortly to defend the players so it will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Your all doing cartwheels

Your all doing cartwheels

he half right, it wasnt players attitude that cost us, albeit one or two had woeful games but that is the norm, or has been every game this season,

the line up and lack of changes did cost us, I'm still raging that it was the same mistakes as in every game before, yet he didnt even try and manage them out our game, but they did talk a lot about all the flaws , whoopdefuckin doo! Stop sending them out every week to make the same mistakes, change it

• Like 1

How do you change it? I guess we could bring in actual decent defenders.... but then we're naw got the money to get better defenders.

How can someone from the touchline compensate for the man guarding the front of the six yard box being slow out of the block, then stopping AND at the same time regulate for supposedly our best central defender deciding the biggest brute on the other side doesn't require to be marked in the box at a corner?

How is he to compensate for our left back, being slow to react to a ball going right across the box (he had time to marshal the defence, which the rest ignored) and then when the Left Back does realise he needs to do something, he trots to a position about 7 yards away from the crosser, meantime the rest of the defence and midfield are either in the box or making it to it but not a single on thinks that the only opponent in the box might be a danger so all decide that being about 4 or 5 yards away from him is acceptable....

It would be interesting to see how many people here wished for a different set of centre backs against Rangers - despite them making the same mistakes against Aberdeen......

As for this game.... 1-1, Higdon for us, and our inability to basically mark or cover a cross will cost us though

McCall 100% put out the wrong side so he is very accountable for Wednesday.

100%... The only questionable position he got wrong was where Hateley played and who played instead of Kerr. Neither of which actually cost us the game. The inability of our midfield to read a game and our defence to decide that marking McCulloch isn't needed at a corner or that chasing down balls in the danger areas cost us the game.

You cannot honestly say any of those were McCall's tactic or in his "game-plan"

We can keep the score down tommorow if we drop Cummins,Kerr and there's no point in playing Humphrey against Issogeri or whatever his name. I've resigned myself to a defeat tommorow but it would be acceptable to go down fighting and not with our knickers round our ankles like the other night. We're getting PELTERS in the press and all us Well fans are getting likewise in our works. So roll your sleeves up put your sussies away and FECKIN CHALLENGE high balls into our penalty box.. <_>

He got two positions wrong. Hateley at RB and Ramsden at CB. That equates to getting the team 100% wrong for me. The players he choose in the position they were asked to play got it wrong. He picked the team he shoulders the blame.

Managers get paid handsomly to pick the best side, formation, and tactics. They get praised to high heaven when they get it right, sometimes through luck, so they will take the heat when they get their part of the job wrong. McCall is rightly getting slaugtered for his part in Wednesday night's debacle.

McCall made an arse of his team choice on Wednesday. Simple as that. The players were a shambles and equally as at fault.

Every time Humphrey plays against him he trys a couple of runs then realises oh shit he's fast too and then gives up. Honestly he's done it before. <_>

Humphrey is the only guy who has raped him in his time here - granted it was a one of, in the 2-0 game at Fir Park. Play the ball in front of Humphrey and he might do something, give it to him with his back to goal he's gonna do fuck all.

He got two positions wrong. Hateley at RB and Ramsden at CB. That equates to getting the team 100% wrong for me. The players he choose in the position they were asked to play got it wrong. He picked the team he shoulders the blame.

Who drops out of Centre Back - if any? 3 man in midfield - one of them a winger? Really? And you think the result would have been more presentable with that? Rangers would have run riot over us. Our biggest problem was we didn't have the central defender that had the power, positional sense or football brain to do basic covering job on McCulloch and Ramsden wouldn't have changed that fact (as he'd likely have covered Shiels). Hutchinson smashing Sandaza's head was the worst thing to happen to us that game.

McCall gets blamed for fair few things, for example picking Omar Daley week in week out or a slight blame for not finding us a holding midfielder when supposedly given money to spend.

• Like 1

He got two positions wrong. Hateley at RB and Ramsden at CB. That equates to getting the team 100% wrong for me.

I do not believe you understand what 100% means. Two mistakes out of eleven, is 18.19% wrong.

So, if you believe McCall got the team 100% wrong, then one can only assume you are pretty poor at arithmetic. Or, you really believe players like Randolph should not have started, or, should have been played in another position, in which case you have went full retard. Never go full retard.

• Like 1

1348861746[/url]' post='362820']

I do not believe you understand what 100% means. Two mistakes out of eleven, is 18.19% wrong.

So, if you believe McCall got the team 100% wrong, then one can only assume you are pretty poor at arithmetic. Or, you really believe players like Randolph should not have started, or, should have been played in another position, in which case you have went full retard. Never go full retard.

Imagine whipping out your calculator to prove a point laugh.gif

The bare minimum I expect from tomorrow is visibly more fight, urgency, desire and response. A result against Celtic I will always wait in hope rather than expectation. The changes I'd make to the team as a result of the other night's shambles would be:

RB- Put Hateley back in there. As much is he is never a central midfielder, he is a very good right back, our best one in my opinion. Fraser Kerr came in and had a terrific few games, but he wasn't great against Aberdeen and on Wednesday looked nervy, wasn't great defensively and gave the ball away far too often.

CB- Cummins has been a credit to himself for a 19 year old just coming into the team, but given the goals we've conceded in the past two games, I'd put Ramsden back in there for experience.

RM- Humphrey was absolutely awful against Rangers, would definitely drop him to the bench. Definitely wouldn't bring in Daley though, the last time we played Celtic at Fir Park is officially the most uninterested I've ever seen a player (and I've seen Brian Kerr and Stephen Pearson) in my life. Would sooner play Murphy out wide. Daley's lethargy is something that definitely doesn't need to be added to Wednesday's performance.

CM- Obviously there's a void where Hateley was, personally I'd start Carswell in there. If we bring Law inside he'll have to play large periods of the game in a position where his attacking attributes won't be used effectively.

Would go unchanged up front. Thought Ojamaa worked hard and tried to make things happen to no avail on Saturday and Higgy picks himself. As for the rest of the team from Wednesday, Hammell in particular, they were poor but none merit getting dropped just yet. But hopefully 3-4 changes elsewhere will be enough to give them a shake.

• Like 1