Motherwell Vs Celtic Discussion Thread

David

As WelldaftMK1 says.... baffled.

Sitting third after 9 games in a tight league = disappointing.

Tactically inept simpleton taking us to our highest ever points tally.

We aren't an EPL or La Liga team miraculously playing in the SPL and we don't have a middle eastern consortium farting money out the sand at us. We have a crumbling stadium, a squinty pitch, a home crowd of 4'000 and a shite TV deal. McCall has his faults but he's a fucking good manager for us.

We aren't going to get the 'perfect' manager you seem to think is within our reach.

Fuck me.

We are second after 8 games are we not.

In my opinion Lasley has been bollocks all season. One of our poorest players. Wether that's due to the added pressure of captaincy and leading younger players or the fact that he is missing Jenno I don't know

What I do know is that he is off the pace completely, passing tackling and leadership

I'm sure I will take a fair bit of flak for this and I do have a lot of time and respect for Las but this year is a year he has to step to the mark.

I've never been Keith Lasley's biggest fan but he had a good season last year although he struggled a bit towards the end and must take ashare of the credit for our 2nd placed finish. Although he's never been the fastest of players, nor a leader, his commitment has never ever been in doubt. There was an outcry on this Board when we were slow to offer him a new deal on reduced wages. It was right to re-sign him but he is 32 and starting to show his years. He did rely a lot on Jennings and now that the latter has departed Las has struggled a bit. Did feel sorry for him yesterday though - he was asked to play a more attacking role (as opposed to Ramsden's more defensive role) and was obviously uncomfortable in that. My point though is that with Las getting on in years and Jenno refusing to commit to 2 years deals we should have foreseen and planned for this very situation. It may be of course that Stuart Carswell was expected to make the step up by now - who knows? Steve Hetherington, although promising in his own right, is not the kind of player that we're missing.

McClean would have someone like Hutch as captain. Harness his natural on field vocal encouragement of the team and hope the extra responsibility takes away a bit of the rashness.

Good shout although I wonder if it's too much responsibility for a guy his age. I imagine he'll be captain one day, whether it's at Motherwell or elsewhere.

That said, I always think it's hard for fans to make judgements on captaincy as we only see the player for 90 minutes each week. It's a role that goes into the dressing room and onto the training ground and is based on the relationship with the manager and the squad as a whole.

Watched the goals on tv last night again. Have to say I think blame for the first might have to lie with Cummins also. Seems to run at Hutch following one player then changes his mind and leaves Hutch stranded who then tries to win the header.

Credit to Hooper and Commons for the movement tho, cut us to bits.

Thought it was bad at the game but even worse on the tv. The OG is defo Craiganesque, no pressure on him at the time and slots it away nicely.

Lasley is missing Jennings badly imho. That and the fact that he's not getting any younger is having a poor effect on his game and a result, our midfield.

Indeed he is. The loss of Jennings is hitting the team a lot harder than most thought it would. Lasley isn't the same player without him alongside him.

I seem to remember the same thing being said of Jennings last season when Keith was suspended. It was a great combination, and one that we may not be able to replicate regardless of who we bring in to play in that position.

Mind that time Celtic came to Fir Park and beat us 7-1? Well we played a helluva lot better that night than we did today.

We are utterly spineless whenever it comes to opposition who have any sort of quality about them and that is down to the manager, whether folk like that or not.

I stayed the full game that night.

For the first time, I left today at 60 minutes, as soon as Cummins got sent off. It was entirely clear that the best thing that could happen would be for us to keep it to two nil. After the Rangers game, another utterly spineless, and naive, showing was too much. Fucking scunnered with last week.

That performance, in my opinion, is the worst that I've seen us play against a walking pace Celtic side. At least when Rangers beat us, they looked like they had to try for it.

• Like 1

Player for player, Celtic are probably better in every position except for keeper. When they perform, there isn't a team in the SPL that will compete with them.

They were always going to lift their game against us as opposed to others in the league considering our lofty position. :rolleyes:

I've just managed to get on and read the comments for the first time. Was really annoyed after the game but hey ho after a few days perspective starts to take over.

I really hope the number of people having a pop at McCall are only doing so in a vent of frustration. I can acknowledge that he isn't perfect, but we also have to realise that his job is far from easy and overall he is doing a fantastic job.

We've been beaten by the old firm in the past week. Both have resources that Stuart would kill for, and I include Rangers in that. When was the last time we shelled out decent money on someone? If memory serves me right before a ball was kicked this season this message board was full of people hoping to avoid a relegation battle. Fast forward 8 games and people think we should be beating Celtic and the manager is a moron because we couldn't beat a team with resources far superior to ours. Oh yeah and we have dropped to 2nd in the league as a result.

Lets just keep some perspective folks. We are a fairly small club and on occassions punch above our weight. I still maintain for us to finish top 6 is a fantastic achievement. Get behind McCall!!!

I do however agree that we are gagging for a leader on the park, preferably someone of an intimidating nature to our players and the opposition. Unfortunately we have no money to buy someone. Therefore we must be patient with the boys we have.

• Like 5