If You Could Change One Result...

BarnsleyFCFan

Motherwell 2 Rangers 3, Scottish Cup semi-final 1975. Two nil up at half-time through McLaren and Pettigrew at Hampden and to lose to Rangers still haunts me nearly 40 years later :mellow:

Has to be the one for me as well. Heartbreaking.cray.gif

Still have nightmares about that game :cry:

Yes, another one for the cup semi game game against Rangers. The game was in the bag until the referee gave them a penalty for an infringement against Derek Johnstone. There was only two things wrong with the decision. DJ dived and the tackle took place outside the box IIRC.

The one that upset me most when I was younger was losing to Airdrie in the Scottish Cup semi replay.

'86 League Cup Semi Final against Celtic where we lost on penalties. That was something of an emotional rollercoaster which ended horribly.

A different outcome to the penalty shoot-out and it would arguably have been more memorable than the '91 Semi given the respective standings of the teams then.

The Airdrie game was the worst for me because I was young and naive. We were flying high (for us) and for a kid like me, I thought playing a 'weaker' team would be an easy path to a final.

If nothing else it taught me at an early stage in my supporting career that nothing is guaranteed with our mob.

The Airdrie game was the worst for me because I was young and naive. We were flying high (for us) and for a kid like me, I thought playing a 'weaker' team would be an easy path to a final.

If nothing else it taught me at an early stage in my supporting career that nothing is guaranteed with our mob.

Still recall Hamilton supporters going to that game cunningly disguised as Airdrie fans with their red and white scarves. :whistling:

Motherwell 1 Dundee Utd 2, 3 games to end of season 1993-94, Hibs beating Rangers and we could have drawn level at the top of the table with 2 games left. Reckon they'd have shit themselves.

By a country mile.

Seen us win the Cup. Thats as close as I will ever get to seeing us win the league.

Gutted doesnt come close.

Our last three games were home to Dundee United, away to Raith Rovers, home to Saint Johnstone. The latter two in the basement, the first a team we'd already beaten at Tannadice just a couple of months before for the first time since the mid-70s. Six points would've won us the league. In the end we got only one, and it all started with that United game. We were flying up until that night on a 10-match unbeaten run. Saint Johnstone only won 10 games that season - three of them against Motherwell!!

Rangers last five games included 3 defeats and 2 draws. We were that close, which is why it hurts me more than any other result!

Dundee United game Nov 1994 1- 1 Craig Brewster scored deep in to injury time to equalise and burst my works coupon !

font="Calibri"][/font]

That was indeed painful, as we had completely dominated throughout. The report in the Herald read "Brewster collected the ball. Surely he couldn't. Surely he wouldn't. He did..."

Even the reporter couldn't believe it.

Easy. The Scottish Cup final of 2011.

The much mentioned Dundee Utd game only really hits home now that we could've won the league that year. It didn't feel it at the time, and watching the footage there (which was painful) the crowd didn't seem like they believed it either. Lack of belief all round?

Other notable mentions go to...

The CIS semi when Shaun Maloney scored with that indirect free kick in the last minute. 2006?

Ayr Utd Cup defeat in 2000 when if we had won we would've had a then 2nd Division Partick in the quarters at home. We had a very expensive inconsistent team that season. Boyle hounding Shaun Teale crawed it for us.

The Odense home game.

The recent Rangers cup game.

By a country mile.

Seen us win the Cup. Thats as close as I will ever get to seeing us win the league.

Gutted doesnt come close.

That single game brought it home that we would never win the league, I kinda gave up hoping after throwing it away like that. Best chance ever.

As Milo says, the crowd didn't really believe it IMO either, I certainly did, had been telling folk for months prior to that but there was a sense of disbelief among our own fans all the way through.

Perhaps that filtered through to the players eventually but it was certainly within our grasp and we chucked it away. Supporting Motherwell changed for me at the end of that season. You know that feeling after a bad result when you wince when you wake up next morning, that was the last time I really felt that until Odense I think. We fucked that up badly as well but that was more to do with the magnitude of the financial potential we had just thrown away rather than the significance of the achievement we missed out on.

Our last three games were home to Dundee United, away to Raith Rovers, home to Saint Johnstone. The latter two in the basement, the first a team we'd already beaten at Tannadice just a couple of months before for the first time since the mid-70s. Six points would've won us the league. In the end we got only one, and it all started with that United game. We were flying up until that night on a 10-match unbeaten run. Saint Johnstone only won 10 games that season - three of them against Motherwell!!

Rangers last five games included 3 defeats and 2 draws. We were that close, which is why it hurts me more than any other result!

It was only two points a win.