Now Murphy Is Away

pingu

Cant help but feel Murph is bein pushed out the door here and its pretty gutting. So refreshing to see a player with genuine affections for his club and not the mercenaries that fill the game nowadays.

All the best Jamie! Best of luck down the road

Cant help but feel Murph is bein pushed out the door here and its pretty gutting. So refreshing to see a player with genuine affections for his club and not the mercenaries that fill the game nowadays.

I actually agree exactly with what you have said here. I understand 100% if the club is in a position where money is needed and if one player needs to go then it is Jamie, but part of me, from what I'm taking from Jamie's interviews is that he is being left with no other option than to go. Not sure what would happen in terms of running out his contract until the summer and him being offered a new deal should he want to stay. Obvious that Jamie goes with every single 'Well fans best wishes and we are all wanting to see him go on to be a star in his football career.

Cheers for the memories Jamie, throughout your time at Motherwell you have been a total professional and joy to watch. All the best to him!!

Also agree with this.....

It is a sad state of affairs when we sell one of our best players for peanuts. I know we had little choice and with our income/crowds every penny is a prisoner.

Also he has the opportunity to play for a bigger club with a much bigger fanbase. He has to try to take this opportunity. Although he undoubtedly has the skill and talent I still feel he may be a little lightweight for League 1/Championship.

It will be a new experience and will test out how far he can go in the game.

If it does not work out - he is more than welcome back at Fir Park. I think we are going to miss him big time......

Best of Luck Jamie

Motherwell FC@MotherwellFC JM: "The last thing I wanted to do was leave and Motherwell to get no reward or payment for everything they have put in and invested in me."

Motherwell FC@MotherwellFC JM: "I’m sure I’ll be back one day. Motherwell is in my heart and I hope before I bring my career to a close I can play for the club again.”

Those Tweets say it all really, don't they? I doubt he really wanted to leave, but the truth is he had to go if he wanted to progress his career and get the chance to make some decent coin.

Motherwell will always be here, and after he gives it a bash in England he can always come back. Let's just hope he doesn't ruin it by signing for Aberdeen in a few years! :evilgrin:

I don't see how that first tweet means he didn't want to leave the club. I read it as he did want to leave the club, but not when he was out of contract.

Murphy is one of those players (like Faddy) who says and does the right thing, and is rightly respected for that. After his European and youth international exploits, I can't imagine, however, that he doesn't harbour ambitions to test himself elsewhere.

He's still a youngster, but managed to clock up about a couple of hundred appearances in the Claret and Amber. Apart from winning a trophy, he has probably achieved about as much as he can with us and I'm sure his colleagues who have played down south have encouraged him to take the next step.

I'd be more disappointed if a guy in his position wanted to play at Fir Park for his entire career.

• Like 2

i think his form over the last month or so suggests he is fairly happy with how things have worked out and when you consider that he knocked back blackpool last year because of the money they offering him i'm sure his agent made sure he got a good deal from sheffield united.

i don't think we've had a full return on jamie's talent but at the same time the club didn't go all out to help him fulfill his potential here. we were never going to get the best out of him playing at left mid and i think his head dropped a few times over the last couple of years while he's been stuck out wide doing donkey work while alan gow, franny jeffers, nicky law, ojamaa and even omar daley started playing off the main striker where he would rather be. he's a far better goalscorer than of those guys but for whatever reason craig brown and mccall didn't give him the chance to score as many as he could and that's why we're only getting a pittance.

• Like 3

Just read the item on the Sheffield United site and now hoping he and his new teammates have a crap 2013 until Tranmere and Bournemouth secure promotion.

LINK?

I have been on a SUFC message board or two. Usual p1sh about the SPL being a poor standard. Other than that they think Jamie is the messiah. Some of the posts if I did not know it was Jamie - I would have thought they were signing Messi.

Hope they are not too disappointed. He is a great talent, but as we know can be somewhat inconsistent. I fear that if he does not score a hat trick every week - he will get a hard time.

Be interested to see if they play him v Oxford in the FA Cup this weekend.

Seems like he's going down there with some weight of expectation. Good to see a bit of excitement surrounding his move, don't know what Sheffield United fans are like but I just hope he gets the time to settle and find a bit of consistency. No reason he shouldn't be going down there full of confidence though.

You're not wrong. The general consensus is that all of the success we've achieved in recent seasons has been down to Murphy.

Jamie Murphy goal montage from the BBC (UK only):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/20905313

Any chance of malf1985relaunched doing a wee tribute? Sure he could knock the BBC offering out the park!