Where Do We Go From Here ?

gilmour

Don't want to be one of the knee jerk brigade after a defeat. However it is clear that we are clearly lacking a wee spark at times. We have rode our luck a bit and when it comes crunch time we simply don't have the edge. So in jan we need a bit of pace brought to the team. Ainsworth is quickish and plays decent balls but we lack the height to take advantage and he gets frustrated and tries silly shots and daft passes, when he should be skinning and playing the cross in. Lasley is playing a thankless role and has little support. Hutch is easily our best player but prone to immaturity and rashness. Hamill isn't having a great season. Faddy is a bit player and we need more from him, lawson no thanks quite simply. Keepers well let's just say we have had better and we expect more but sadly what we have is our level, we have been lucky over the years. Boab is a fans fav but not mine I think he could drop a div as he's not SPL IMHO, Moore a better prospect

Enough criticism for now as we're doing ok considering we lost a huge chunk of our team leauge wise, but were just getting away with it and no more. As for the cups well let's just forget it.

So what do we need ?

A keeper the likes of ruddy or Randolph to take the pressure/ uncertainty off the defenders. Defence not too bad but pleas mac manus stop scoring ogs. Midfield lets try and get Jennings back. Creative and good at breaking up play. Las being asked to do too much as lawson not got it judging by his performances so far

Faddy I love you to bits and you will always be a hero, but you are very very average just nowA creative midfielder who can also mix it up (a more skilful Lasley)

Anier and Sutton, I'm not a fan of either and as a combo they ain't good enough. So if we are playing then then we need a wee dougie Arnott type player to pick up the scraps

We are only 2/3 players from a cracking team but just now we are a team of no creativity so few goals and keepers that scare their defenders thus creating worry

So please address mcCall

1383175889[/url]' post='398138']

What do we do with the 2 keepers,central midfielder and strikers who are now surplus?

Suck it up, quality doesn't come cheap.

I know and we have been used to fantastic keepers as well as creative players. So why has it stopped that's my main point. This season we have un earthed no hidden gems. Why ? When we have done it for that last 2/3 seasons at least, what has changed ?

Lets hope in jan we can rectify it and get the 2/3 players we need to turn it round

Don't want to be a moaner but we really really do need a wee spark to get us going.

If we want to get better this season we need Vigurs and McFadden to perform.

Simple.

These two guys are the ones with something extra in the locker.

McCall brought Vigurs in but doesn't seem to want to actually make the necessary tactical adjustments to his team to actually use him effectively. The player needs to give himself a shake but McCall also needs to ask himself what he's actually doing to utilize the players strengths.

McFadden has obviously been injured since pre-season. As far as I know, and I may be wrong, he was not seriously linked with any other club. I suspect I know why now.

There are two possible outcomes with McFadden, he gets over his injuries and returns to something like the form he showed last season which I thought was excellent. Or he doesn't get any better in which case he'll probably retire from football at the end of the season. Either way he's with us until then so we can only be patient with him, however if he's not fit, he shouldn't play and I think that's what has happened earlier this season.

• Like 1

I know and we have been used to fantastic keepers as well as creative players. So why has it stopped that's my main point. This season we have un earthed no hidden gems. Why ? When we have done it for that last 2/3 seasons at least, what has changed ?

Lets hope in jan we can rectify it and get the 2/3 players we need to turn it round

Don't want to be a moaner but we really really do need a wee spark to get us going.

What has changed is that for the last 2/3 seasons we have brought in players from the lower leagues in England some have worked some haven't. This season we just hoovered up SPL players from teams who finished below us last year. Every other team in the league knows these players well and knows how to nulify them. No surprise the unknown Anier has been probably our most effective player this season.

• Like 2

I think the problem is that our signing policy over the summer didnt work out as planned and we have ended up with an unbalanced squad. However, in answer to the question, there is no magic wand. We cant afford to go and get anymore players so we need to get the best out of what we have. The manager needs to have a total rethink on formation and that may mean some of the new signings dont play. I think we have proved that Carswell Lasley and Lawson shouldnt all play together. At best it should be 2 from 3. For me Ainsworth should play every game just for his pace. Quite how you fit both Vigurs and McFadden into the team I have no idea. Id be tempted to try and replicate last seasons formation as follows

Hollis or Neilsen

Ramsden Hutch McManus Hammell

Carswell Lasley

Vigurs or McFadden

Ainsworth Sutton Anier

Look at our league results this season, we have beaten every team in the bottom six and taken one point from the teams in the top six. Quite obvious where our level actually is.

What alarmed me last night was it seemed as we got on the game, despite playing 77 minutes with ten men they looked fitter than us.

I think for the first time in many years we have had a series of injuries but they are small niggly injuries rather than serious ones and because of a lack of numbers guys are ending up on the bench who shouldn't be and when you look at the injuries they are down the right side of the team.

On top of that we have some players who aren't quite on it. Vigurs, I like but he has only shown what he can do in flashes of games and that is reflected in a number of our players.

I think this season is going to be one of absolute mediocrity and the only thing we will be fighting for is a top six place and the moment our half is determined it will be meaningless friendlies for us.

The simple answer is we keep plugging away in the hope of securing a top six finish.

After a summer where we lost the likes of Randolph, Hateley, Law, Humphrey, Ojamaa & Higdon we were always going to fighting against the tide no matter who we brought in.

We've had a great few seasons of late, but that run is over. We're a club who need to secure a top six finish.

Simple as that really.

What has changed is that for the last 2/3 seasons we have brought in players from the lower leagues in England some have worked some haven't. This season we just hoovered up SPL players from teams who finished below us last year. Every other team in the league knows these players well and knows how to nulify them. No surprise the unknown Anier has been probably our most effective player this season.

Ainsworth, brought in from the lower leagues in England didn't need nullified last night because he was so bad.

Our most effective player this season has been Sutton who was 'hoovered up from a team that finished below us last year'.

Don't think your argument stands up.

Some good points made. But why was faddy on the bench if he wasn't going to be used after mccall saying with only 5 spaces it was important who he picked. As for Ainsworth I had a neutral friend with me and even he said his decision making at times is shocking. Thinking about it in the cold light of day previous seasons we have had more creative players who can change games where as now we have players who will plodd away. Frustrating as hell but il still be there

It was a poor result, yes. But they absolutely pumped Hearts for 25 minutes or so. If they play like that on Sunday and we play like we have the last 2 games, we'll get thrashed.

In terms of what we do on Sunday, McCall has to refresh things somehow - be that trying a new formation, bringing in Moore from the start... I don't know. That was my problem with last night (and kudos to the guy in-front for pointing it out); I shouted that McCall needed to change it - but how? What could he have done last night to change things when we went 1-0 down? The bench had no options to change it after McHugh and Ainsworth came on (I'm not counting Faddy as he was clearly injured and McCall had no intention of playing him).

It'll be a long, hard season until we can find a formation that works for us because quite simply I don't think McCall has found his best formation for the squad we have. Considering he's been working with most of them since the summer, I'm a tad worried that we might never see it...

What we need to do is re-adjust our expectations.

I said at the start of the season that, given the player turnover, it would be a successful season if we could finish top 6. I don't say any reason to change that point of view.

When some fans were complaining last season, many of us pointed out that they should be enjoying what was on offer because sooner or later that level of performance would drop. It's inevitable.

On the league front, I heard we have more points on the board now than at the same stage last season. That's pretty impressive given the changed circumstances.

Bottom line is no team can lose the depth and quality of players we lost in the summer and perform at the same level out the traps. It took literally years to get that team together. McCall has made a decent start to re-assemble, but I think it will take another couple of transfer windows at least to complete the rebuilding.

Of course last night was painful, but it's not even close to the most painful cup exits I have witnessed over the years (from Queens Park embarrassing us to losing on penalties to Celtic at Hampden).

So "where we go from here" is keep moving forward, trying to get the right tactics for the players we have, trying to blood some of the youngsters, and picking up a couple of new faces in January, while trying to win as many games as we can along the way.

• Like 4

Yes they're worse than us for sure. Hope Vigours and Faddy play on sunday and Hollis is back and we get a vital 3 points and we draw a line under wednesday's debacle. I honestly feel that 3rd spot in the league is still up for grabs and sunday would be a good time to get our sights set on it. Forget the cups cos we haven't got the bottle required for one off big games as has been proved in the last 7 years. We do have a few what i'd call '1st div' players in our squad that is dragging us down but a fit Faddy and Ainsworth and Annier surely can get us the results we need to get us back on track. Sutton too can have a big part to play. Keeping big Hutchie also will be important so lets focus on the positives. We've had 2 stinking results and we need to kick on now.

What we need to do is re-adjust our expectations.

I said at the start of the season that, given the player turnover, it would be a successful season if we could finish top 6. I don't say any reason to change that point of view.

When some fans were complaining last season, many of us pointed out that they should be enjoying what was on offer because sooner or later that level of performance would drop. It's inevitable.

On the league front, I heard we have more points on the board now than at the same stage last season. That's pretty impressive given the changed circumstances.

Bottom line is no team can lose the depth and quality of players we lost in the summer and perform at the same level out the traps. It took literally years to get that team together. McCall has made a decent start to re-assemble, but I think it will take another couple of transfer windows at least to complete the rebuilding.

Of course last night was painful, but it's not even close to the most painful cup exits I have witnessed over the years (from Queens Park embarrassing us to losing on penalties to Celtic at Hampden).

So "where we go from here" is keep moving forward, trying to get the right tactics for the players we have, trying to blood some of the youngsters, and picking up a couple of new faces in January, while trying to win as many games as we can along the way.

Spot on weeyin...you been reading my mind?