Financial Statement To 31 May 2013

Toxteth O'Grady

Just received my financial statement for the year ended 31 May 2013. The club recorded a loss of £184,498, which has been attributed to the following factors:

1 - Approx £900k of prize money for finishing 2nd was distributed evenly between the SPL clubs, mainly to compensate clubs for the loss of Rangers gate income. We also had a "generous" bonus scheme for players and management for finishing 2nd.

2 - Exiting both cups in the first round. The club are reviewing their policy of allowing season ticket holders free entry into the first home cup tie each season.

3 - Lower than expected transfer income. The club are doing "everything we believe to be possible" to achieve value for players leaving the club.

Other points:

- Budgeting for 2013/14 has been difficult due to uncertainties surrounding distributions from the new SPFL setup. MFC are "particularly disappointed" that the SPFL haven't found a sponsor.

- The club do not budget for the "worst case scenario" as this would see our player budget reduced by over 40%. Instead, the club make "conservative but realistic assumptions" on our income streams.

- It was again emphasised that success of the Well Society is "critical" to the long term sustainability of the club. At present, the society has 1195 members, which is approx 22% of our core season ticket base.

- It was again emphasised that success of the Well Society is "critical" to the long term sustainability of the club. At present, the society has 1195 members, which is approx 22% of our core season ticket base.

Sorry reading but not unexpected. You wonder what it would be if we had a catastrophic league season and no income from Euro footballcray.gif

The figures re season tickets must be wrong surely? That would suggest we have nearly 6000 season ticket holdershuh.gif I would have thought around 35% of season ticket base...

Unfortunately we're going to see that reason again in next year's statement.

Yip, which is presumably why the club are now reviewing the season ticket holders being able to use their tickets for the first cup games of each tournament. No doubt that won't go down well with many but you can hardly blame the club for taking such action when we are falling short in the cups every year.

• Like 2

"Generous bonus scheme to players and management"

Would it not be better instead of doing away with the free cup game and hitting the fans if we didn't pay the players that week who get pumped oot the cup in these early rounds ?

It's all Tom Hately's fault anyway !

maybe next year the players won't go for a piss up in dublin the weekend before the cup tie.

• Like 1

Just received my financial statement for the year ended 31 May 2013. The club recorded a loss of £184,498, which has been attributed to the following factors:

1 - Approx £900k of prize money for finishing 2nd was distributed evenly between the SPL clubs, mainly to compensate clubs for the loss of Rangers gate income. We also had a "generous" bonus scheme for players and management for finishing 2nd.

2 - Exiting both cups in the first round. The club are reviewing their policy of allowing season ticket holders free entry into the first home cup tie each season.

3 - Lower than expected transfer income. The club are doing "everything we believe to be possible" to achieve value for players leaving the club.

Other points:

- Budgeting for 2013/14 has been difficult due to uncertainties surrounding distributions from the new SPFL setup. MFC are "particularly disappointed" that the SPFL haven't found a sponsor.

- The club do not budget for the "worst case scenario" as this would see our player budget reduced by over 40%. Instead, the club make "conservative but realistic assumptions" on our income streams.

Right off the bat it irks me that first place money for Celtic was left alone when deciding to "compensate" all the clubs for loss of revenue due to Rangers not being in the league !

it's actually not that bad a result considering the rangers situation and the shite cup runs. i would expect this year will be far worse.

the club are looking for more well society investment which is fair enough but are they doing anything to get a fairer split of prize money and voting rights? if rangers come back into the league with the same 11-1 rules in place it will be a disgrace.

The figures re season tickets must be wrong surely? That would suggest we have nearly 6000 season ticket holdershuh.gif I would have thought around 35% of season ticket base...

I'm a member of the society but not a season ticket holder & I'm sure there are a fair amount of others in this category.

Think it may just be worded badly & they mean 22% of season ticket holders are also members of the society.

Yip, which is presumably why the club are now reviewing the season ticket holders being able to use their tickets for the first cup games of each tournament. No doubt that won't go down well with many but you can hardly blame the club for taking such action when we are falling short in the cups every year.

Even though we went out in the first round of the cups last season we must have brought in a decent amount from the games, probably even more than we would on an 'average' cup season of getting through a few rounds.

We got Rangers away in the league cup and Aberdeen away with a home replay in the Scottish cup. We also had European football.

That amounted to 39,990 attendees for domestic cup ties and 15,321 for European cup ties, for a total 55,251 attendees at cup games involving us last season. Obviously the domestic cup gate money is halved and I assume we keep our own money for home European ties.

We could easily progress through many rounds of domestic cup without getting anything like 39,990 coming through the gate depending on the opponents. Obviously there is prize money for going through the rounds but I'd be surprised if it's a lot of money, especially in the earlier rounds.

The 39,990 is equivalent to nearly 8 matches with a crowd of 5,000 for instance.

This season Ross County went out of both cups in the first round with a total of 2,428 (215 v Stranraer, 2,213 v Hibs) at both games and an away trip to Stranraer, the longest trip in Scottish football. Obviously this is a financial disaster for Ross County and they would probably have lost money but it puts into perspective our figures from last season and I think shows they aren't actually that bad in terms of revenue generated from cup matches.

• Like 1

Right off the bat it irks me that first place money for Celtic was left alone when deciding to "compensate" all the clubs for loss of revenue due to Rangers not being in the league !

To think we'd even have a TV deal anywhere as "lucrative" without the unwashed in it is crazy talk. Unfortunately they are the draw for audience numbers and consequently advertisers. May as well suck it up and accept the reality.

It was always going to be a gamble for the clubs who were chasing 2nd. We gambled and lost out, but it was certainly a gamble worth taking.

To think we'd even have a TV deal anywhere as "lucrative" without the unwashed in it is crazy talk. Unfortunately they are the draw for audience numbers and consequently advertisers. May as well suck it up and accept the reality.

Ballls, the old firm need to remember theyd have fuck all if they had no spl! England dont want or need them and euro leagues are jackanory. Si why the fuck are teams still terrified of them? Celtics money shouldve bn cut no question but the spineless fuckers running/ruining out game shat it...... again!

• Like 2

Ballls, the old firm need to remember theyd have fuck all if they had no spl! England dont want or need them and euro leagues are jackanory. Si why the fuck are teams still terrified of them? Celtics money shouldve bn cut no question but the spineless fuckers running/ruining out game shat it...... again!

There have been times when the other clubs have fawned or bent over backwards to the OF but I don't think this was one of them.

Imagine if Motherwell had won the league, Celtic had finished second and the prize money had been distributed differently so that Motherwell got less money for finishing champions and all the clubs that didn't win the league increased their prize money?

I'm sure lots of Motherwell fans would have complained about that, probably yourself being one of them highlighting the fact that Celtic got more for finishing 2nd while we got less for being champions and that the clubs were scared of the OF.

I do know that the prize money for 2nd was reduced but in real terms it was a gain for us as we would not have finished 2nd if Rangers had been in the league. Every club outside Celtic got more money than they would have done.

Maybe your reason is that you just don't like Celtic or the Old Firm, which is fair enough but the people that run the game can't behave like that.

What happened was there was a reasonably fair compromise where Celtic didn't lose money but everyone else gained.

• Like 1

But i simply dont accept that as reasonable. The club who is richer than the other 9 combined has their money guaranteed but everyone else loses out? Yes we finished 2nd and got more but how much did we lose from no Rangers crowds?

celtic were assured of their league position and had champions league income so were financially secure.

the other teams including us lost far more than they were expecting to and the league was extremely tight up until febraury (see ross county going from 11th to top six) so they decided to play it safe and boost every position.

But i simply dont accept that as reasonable. The club who is richer than the other 9 combined has their money guaranteed but everyone else loses out? Yes we finished 2nd and got more but how much did we lose from no Rangers crowds?

How do you suggest the governing body goes about changing the prize money for first spot after the start of the season? They can't just alter the rules or the voting structure as they please. It's not 'spineless', it's a question of legality. Aye, the prize money is and always has been unfairly skewed but that's a different argument all together. No-one was in a position to change it at the time 2nd place was divied up.

• Like 1

Not balls Shaka, pragmatism and business acumen tells me the mice can only goad the cat so much before it snaps. Your opinion will get plenty of support as it is popularist.

Don't get me wrong I hate that football club, its cretinous fans and its position of being eternal victims without any shame. I'd love to punt them at the earliest opportunity.

Not balls Shaka, pragmatism and business acumen tells me the mice can only goad the cat so much before it snaps. Your opinion will get plenty of support as it is popularist.

Don't get me wrong I hate that football club, its cretinous fans and its position of being eternal victims without any shame. I'd love to punt them at the earliest opportunity.

What would "the cat" do though? Thats what i cannot understand. Celtic (& Rangers) are part of scottish football and will be forever more,they cannot and will not move to england or an atlantic jackanory league. We had a chance for change and shat it.

Even that vote,it was fuck all about money and all about power,£200-£300k from top spot would make no difference to Celtic in the grand scheme of things and it could have bn used as a bargaining chip for future "Mr Lawell,agree to cut top spot as well to help everyone else a little and next time we come to reconstruction we will support your vision of x,y,z". But it wasnt and even last summer when we actually had a chance to change we all shat it.

Scottish Football does not exist to service only Celtic and Rangers. Without our support both those teams would have nothing. No excessive trophies,no glory monopoly,no champions league! And yet the "powers" in our game continually bend over or fight for whatever scraps Lawwell decides to throw them. Its a bad fucking joke.

• Like 1

could they actually change it during the season though without unanimous agreement?

it would be good to know where we stand this season.

It required an 11 - 1 vote however I imagine if the vote had been about 1st place as well, Celtic they would have challenged the legality of it, given that they are running a business and set budgets based on the prize money available at the start of the season.