Mccall And The Motherwell Youth System

Ya Bezzer!

I think an element being overlooked here (or maybe not) is the patience and perseverance that is required for this to work effectively. I think this is one ad a few significant areas where we fall behind the likes of Dundee Utd.

I always go back to Phil. In his first game in a well shirt he got an absolute roasting. An experienced pro in Kenny McDowall (cunt) outmuscled him at every turn. Phil had a mare. It wasn't long though before he was back in.

One of my fondest memories of that time was hearing Davie Cooper on Phil's shoulder at every turn encouraging, advising, pushing - an absolute pleasure to witness.

My point, whil noting that not all of our youth will be in the Phil mode, is that playing well in the unders is 25% of the journey. The development into a first team regular unless exceptional happens over time in a gradual manner WITHIN the first team. With management and supporters alike having to be patient in the process.

On saying that and on a personal note. I've been disappointed in the level of player coming through vs 10-15 years ago. I've also been puzzled in who we've let go and who we've kept. I liked the look of Hetherington for instance - didn't think he did anything wrong in a first team shirt yet - punted. (And probably someone we could have used to rest Lasley or Carswell)

As others have mentioned though that's maybe why we're posting pish on the net instead of running a fitba team.

Bottom line though is that our youth system and it's relationship with our first team is a wee bit on the rocks of late.

If you look at probably two of the last players to really make the grade from our youth team - Jamie Murphy and Stuart Carswell - I don't think either really burst on to the scene and set the heather on fire. Jamie Murphy took a couple of seasons to bed in and had a lot of substitute appearances at the start of his career and I myself didn't really rate Carswell until the latter half of last season. Now, although he's technically limited, I think he's deservedly held his place in the team at the expense of a more experienced pro.

You can't expect young players making the step up to immediately to make the grade, some times it takes time and patience and most importantly the opportunity to get first team experience on a semi regular basis.

• Like 1

A fair point.

Only one I can think of recently is Lawless. While he's not quite playing at a comparable level, having him on board could have given us a bit more flexibility this season.

I think he'd have been a 4th choice forward at best, behind Sutton, Anier and Faddy, and if we had retained him we'd have had the same problem as we have/had with McHigh in that he's ok but not quite good enough, wasting a wage and blocking the youngsters development behind him in the pecking order.

Delighted Leitch had his start today and also welcomed Murray's contribution when he came on again. To be coached and encouraged through a competitive game by the likes of McFadden, as they were today, must only be beneficial to their development... more please McCall.

We are safely in top 6. Europe has not been worth it in terms of cash last few seasons. I'd like to see a few, without going mental, get a shot for a few games till the end of the season, particularly the young keeper. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Like 1

Let's make a big list of all the players who have come through our ranks, not got their chance and then succeeded at a comparable elsewhere. I'll start:

Erm....

This is pretty much my view on it, in that I'm not really sure the failure to produce capable younger players rests on McCall. We've had one of sufficent quality in the recent past, and he plays in the middle of the park regularly. The only one who has reached any level has been Lawless, who appears to be frozen out at Thistle due to some contract nonsense. I wouldn't have taken him last year over any of our other attacking options, though.

The rest of our younger players have either dropped out the game or are playing at a lower level. A bit of game time at Motherwell is not going to have made them good enough and the difference from where they are now, and where people want them to be. I'd be disappointed if we'd chucked away guys who were picked up by others and were running the show for them, but the problem seems to be in the youth system, rather than the first team management.

Re: United's youth setup, as far as I'm aware, a huge part of its success are a couple of the key staff components in it. They've got two or three guys who deal with specific age groups and seem to get the most out of each of them, who are there regardless of whether managers come or go. Bearing in mind this was 6 or 7 years ago, whatever was implemented seems to be working, as we can see the likes of Gauld and the two Souttars appearing having been through it. Perhaps its the consistency of key staff members that we're missing?

we might not have missed out on any real quality but we have had guys in the past like darren smith, willie kinniburgh, fitzpatrick and even saunders who haven't done much since they left but did us a good turn while they were here.

it's hard to tell what jack leitch has about him but he showed the value of playing a fit player in the correct position.

it's hard to tell what jack leitch has about him but he showed the value of playing a fit player in the correct position.

True, but it's a constant balancing act. If McCall decides to rest some of our key players, rather than playing them out of position, and we lose a couple of games on the trot, the fans start getting on the team's back, and it could be hugely damaging for the confidence of a young player. Contrary to that, if he keeps playing unfit and out of position players and loses a couple (like we have), he runs the risk of the fans complaining about not giving youth a chance.

Football's a results business first and foremost, and I think before each game, McCall is putting out the team which he thinks has the best chance of getting the result on that particular day. The changes were somewhat enforced this weekend, but I think the lads who did play will have shown that they are capable of stepping in and doing a job on occasion, and hopefully that'll give him more options in the weeks to come.

We've got a bit more leeway now at least, with Reid coming in, and Murray and Leitch showing that they can provide cover, and hopefully the rest will allow some others to get past any niggling injuries.

1393623325[/url]' post='406928']

Let's make a big list of all the players who have come through our ranks, not got their chance and then succeeded at a comparable elsewhere. I'll start:

Erm....

Agree with your point, although not to piss on your parade, Craig Bryson followed a path from Clyde to starring at Derby via Kilmarnock and Scotland recognition on his release from our club.

Agree with your point, although not to piss on your parade, Craig Bryson followed a path from Clyde to starring at Derby via Kilmarnock and Scotland recognition on his release from our club.

I thought the story was that Bryson turned us down to go play football?

I was happy to see a few of the youngsters play on Saturday, whether it was forced or planned. But let's not get too carried away - that was the ideal game to play them in as Hearts are playing a bunch of kids too so the match ups were pretty good.

It would have been a different story against teams with more seasoned pros that could have bossed them around a bit more.

That doesn't mean I don't want our youngsters in the team - I do. Putting that many in on a regular basis, however, wouldn't work out so well. We need to pick and choose carefully.