Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

One of the biggest fuck ups we've ever known and who knows how much this has cost us financially. Could've had a south stand full of poles and to be honest with you I could see McCalls coat becoming slightly shoogily on the back of this disaster. We are a laughing stock.

Same starting line up, same subs, same outcome. 1 striker, and one that has been proven that can't play upfront himself and a centre half played a right mid (apparently to win headers from kick outs?!?! Mourinho eat yer heart with that tactic if true). Still can't defend a lead, still can't keep a clean sheet, and apparently unfit despite being fresh from a pre-season training camp.

On a total downer for the start of the season, couldn't give a fuck to be honest. Absolutely raging.

I agree with you but someone is going to point out that losing cup games makes us skint.

I'd prefer to point out the number of midfielders we have. Why sign Lawson when Carswell had signed a new contract? Why offer Lasley two years when we have Leitch, Carswell, Vigurs, Law and Lawson, all younger options, the first two in particular needing game time to develop.

An unbalanced squad...

I totally agree that losing Cup games make us skint, however I dread to think the salaries some of these players like Vigers and McManus are on. Part of the reason we are skint is because we are paying good money to players who are not professional enough to see off a so called lesser team.

I agree with you but someone is going to point out that losing cup games makes us skint.

We've lost out on a big whack of cash after losing last night but overall I don't buy this idea that our financial situation is down to losing cup games, as disappointing as that is.

We've had some big crowds against the likes of Rangers and Aberdeen and we make a lot more money off them than we would winning any number of matches against Forfar or Dumbarton or even a St. Johnstone. Scottish Cup prize money is not enormous and you probably have to get to a semi final to make any money from it, unless you drawn big teams capable of producing a 5 figure attendance.

The reason we are skint goes way deeper than just cup performances but certainly last night didn't help in that regard.

Not a quote anywhere tae be found from the club so far.

To be fair to them - they will be on just as big a downer and McCall will know more than most the impact that will have on signings.

Lech Poznan at home would have got 10,000 with a couple of 000 Poles. Income of circa £300k when taking in Uefa money. There was a HUGE reward for getting through this tie and we screwed up.

I don't know how we will perform this season, but our ABSOLUTE inability to close down players out wide and through the middle - will continue to see us ship goals like Shotts Bon Accord.

McCall likes his teams to attack and so do I. Would rather win 3-2 than 1-0 every day of the week. But the problem is we cannot seem to change strategy successfully midway through a game. When we set out to defend and keep it tight like the 2 away games v Dons last year - we do a good job and sneak wins.

I wish I could get over it and move on - but like most - this bloody club runs deep and I am on a complete downer and raging at the same time...

As soon as last nights game finished I made sure not to log in on this forum as I knew the kind of reaction I'd see.

Just read through most of it with my morning coffee, and fucking hell, it's even worse than I thought.

I've seen the manager who has taken us to 2nd in the league twice and 3rd once in the complete seasons he's had with us called "a poor manager", and our side described as "small-time with a losers mentality".

Sorry, but that's absolute fucking nonsense.

Aye, we got caught with our pants down in Europe this season. We dropped two penalties at home, and another away. At least one of them was dubious to say the least in my opinion. We were beaten in extra-time by a side who are more match fit than we are. We can talk about friendly matches all we want, but there's no substitute for competitive games, which Stjarnan had more of than us.

That's not an excuse, by the way, it's just a fact. If we played this mob six or seven games into our domestic season I doubt the results would be the same.

It's certainly not a tie that I'll remember fondly, but at the same time it's not the end of the fucking world. Get a fucking grip man! We've got a new season to look forward to!

I seriously don't even want to think what the reaction would be like if we finish 5th or 6th this season coming. If the guy who led us to 2nd and 3rd in recent times is a "poor manager" and such accomplishments are examples of a team with a "losers mentality" what will people think if we're eventually overtaken by the likes of Aberdeen & Dundee United (two clubs with more resources than us).

I also notice that we're seeing players contracts questioned. The same players who everyone was anxious to see re-signed in the summer! Both McManus and Lasley signing on again with us was met with widespread approval, yet now we're questioning those decisions despite us not even having played a single league game?

Seriously?

• Like 1

I'd prefer to point out the number of midfielders we have. Why sign Lawson when Carswell had signed a new contract? Why offer Lasley two years when we have Leitch, Carswell, Vigurs, Law and Lawson, all younger options, the first two in particular needing game time to develop.

An unbalanced squad...

A lot of truth in that Greg. Last season I was castigated for questioning Keith Lasley's 2 year extension. It was an easy option in my opinion. I don't know about Josh Law but all the others you mention lack pace and the club knows that. There's also not a single defensive midfielder amongst them.

If the players and management knew how much was at stake then why weren't we better prepared?!?!

We failed to beat a semi professional teams in 2 attempts!!!!

This can't be dressed up any other way, it's up there with Albion Rovers.

If the players and management knew how much was at stake then why weren't we better prepared?!?!

We failed to beat a semi professional teams in 2 attempts!!!!

This can't be dressed up any other way, it's up there with Albion Rovers.

As I said, you can't replicate competitive games with friendlies. That mob had a decent number of domestic games under their belt, they were doing well in those games, plus we lost three fucking penalties in two games! It's happened to better Scottish clubs than us (including celtic) in the past.

To be fair to them - they will be on just as big a downer and McCall will know more than most the impact that will have on signings.

I wish I could get over it and move on - but like most - this bloody club runs deep and I am on a complete downer and raging at the same time...

Good post Iain. However the difference is that those in charge at Fir Park, unlike us, have to lead and manage the club and just as importantly build up fans' morale.

The last thing we need to hear just now is the now infamous Maurice Malpas response "If I'd been a fan I'd have walked out too". Going into the new season, someone at the club needs to show leadership.

A lot of truth in that Greg. Last season I was castigated for questioning Keith Lasley's 2 year extension. It was an easy option in my opinion. I don't know about Josh Law but all the others you mention lack pace and the club knows that. There's also not a single defensive midfielder amongst them.

I'd disagree about the lack of a defensive midfielder. I think Carswell has all the tools for that job...

Last post as I have work to do but I agree with this fact more than most.

I still think McCall has been a very good Manager for us and over sustained periods (league campaigns) he has MORE than delivered.

But we knew we when we were going into Europe, most probably against a side that would be up and running, yet we chose to take the full 2 weeks extra holiday - and not come back slightly earlier and kick on with fitness work and 90 mins games. That was an oversight I believe and more than anything led to the outcome over the 2 games. dash2.gif

I'd disagree about the lack of a defensive midfielder. I think Carswell has all the tools for that job...

I'm not overly impressed with Stuart Carswell. To me he's developing into another Marc Fitzpatrick. A good engine on him but designed more for endurance than speed. Does a lot of routine spade work but that's it.

Last week, unlike most I thought he had a mixed game. A better second half than first admittedly; but guilty early on of getting caught on the ball too often and poor distribution. Don't know about last night.

The jury is still out on him in my view.

Ran about like a headless chicken last night trying to find a pub with the game on, couldnt get it anywhere thankfully....if i had watched that then I've no idea what sort of state I'd have ended up in....Utterly diabolical to end up out of that competition after being in the lead in both legs, whilst Aberdeen and St Johnstone come through against FAR better opposition...I'm now of the opinion that McCall should go, he can't take us any higher in the league and wont take us any further in the Cups.....a few points/questions;

Why were we so unfit, after spending so much money in Portugal?

Why did we only play one (half-arsed) friendly?

How long will be we persist with a midget in goals this season?

Is Fraser Kerr a defender, if so , why do we keep slinging him on at right-mid?

Zaine Francis-Angol, is one of the worst players I have ever seen at a professional level, what position is he competent in?

We lost Hutchinson and Anier, and released McFadden from last season, why havent these players been replaced?

I havent yet bought a season ticket for this season...why the fuck should I?

I seriously don't even want to think what the reaction would be like if we finish 5th or 6th this season coming. If the guy who led us to 2nd and 3rd in recent times is a "poor manager" and such accomplishments are examples of a team with a "losers mentality" what will people think if we're eventually overtaken by the likes of Aberdeen & Dundee United (two clubs with more resources than us).

I also notice that we're seeing players contracts questioned. The same players who everyone was anxious to see re-signed in the summer! Both McManus and Lasley signing on again with us was met with widespread approval, yet now we're questioning those decisions despite us not even having played a single league game?

Seriously?

Most of the problems at Motherwell go way beyond individual player performances so to that end I think it is wrong to criticize Dan Twardzik or question a 2 year contract for Keith Lasley.

Motherwell are failing at a strategic level. The signs are there but time and again we do nothing to change it, that is partly down to Stuart McCall but also others in charge at Fir Park. I certainly wouldn't say Stuart McCall is a "poor manager" but in certain regards he has made mistakes and what is infuriating is that he makes the same ones over and over again. We do not seem to be able to learn or adapt.

We've had some short term success but what have we actually gained from it as a club except huge debts?

1406276053[/url]' post='417333']

As I said, you can't replicate competitive games with friendlies. That mob had a decent number of domestic games under their belt, they were doing well in those games, plus we lost three fucking penalties in two games! It's happened to better Scottish clubs than us (including celtic) in the past.

The best way to get match fit is by playing football. That's why teams play pre-season friendlies and players coming back from injury play in bounce games. Friendlies aren't as good as competitive games but they're the next best thing so for us to be going into the Europa League on the back of one decent friendly was a joke. Absolutely amateur.

Most of the problems at Motherwell go way beyond individual player performances so to that end I think it is wrong to criticize Dan Twardzik or question a 2 year contract for Keith Lasley.

Motherwell are failing at a strategic level. The signs are there but time and again we do nothing to change it, that is partly down to Stuart McCall but also others in charge at Fir Park. I certainly wouldn't say Stuart McCall is a "poor manager" but in certain regards he has made mistakes and what is infuriating is that he makes the same ones over and over again. We do not seem to be able to learn or adapt.

We've had some short term success but what have we actually gained from it as a club except huge debts?

Spot on with all of this! Everything is focused on short term at the club. From bringing faddy in for a year rather than keeping (younger better and probably cheaper option in my opinion) higginbottom.

The average age of the team is slowly creeping up, the pace has slowly went out the team as well which was one of our strengths.

Striker and centre half on loan from somewhere please!!

Edited by Fultanio

Yeah, but much like our players who are often described as not having the full package, if McCall managed to get us to 2nd and 3rd in the table ahead of bigger spending clubs as well as doing relatively well in the cups and in Europe I doubt he'd be with us, would he?

mccall can't get a team to raise their game. We've done well over 38 games because we've had better players and less problems than our rivals.

There is no standard set for the players. They can go boozing in dublin the week before a cup tie, players contunually don't bother tracking runs or marking and there is no consequences. We have a tiny goalie and frazer kerr on the wing because mccall can't be bothered looking for competent players. The manager gives the impression that it's not about always striving to be the best we can be (we basically threw a game at perth). You can't ask the players to raise their game if they look at you and don't think you're giving 100%.

Yeah, but much like our players who are often described as not having the full package, if McCall managed to get us to 2nd and 3rd in the table ahead of bigger spending clubs as well as doing relatively well in the cups and in Europe I doubt he'd be with us, would he?

two seasons ago we had the second best squad in the country by a mile, finishing second wasn't a great achievement. We should have been further clear than we were.

• Like 2

is it he can't be bothered? or just they're really is no budget? honestly think the biggest problem with the club is how its being run behind the scenes

on paper we should never have even made the top 6 looking at other squads, this year with an even thinner squad (somehow)if we don't get the luck we did last season, end up with a few injuries or even 1 we are pretty fucked

and if we crash out the cups and finish low in the league or worse shit really will hit the fan so i hope mccall has a trick or two to get some decent players to fir park or if i was im i'd be off first chance i get and let someone else deal with it :download:

two seasons ago we had the second best squad in the country by a mile, finishing second wasn't a great achievement. We should have been further clear than we were.

Finishing second when you're competing with teams like Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United & Aberdeen is always a great achievement.