Coverage Of Games, Radio Commentary

Brazilian

post, mainly for info , for those that follow the games from far and wide

Bauer Radio including, Radio Clyde appear to have cut a deal to cover matches

I'd imagine Glasgows buttholes will get most coverage, but Motherwell v St Mirren is the first game to be covered in this area.

I have not seen any online declaration, DAB is listed as available, EDIT: heard this morning that match coverage will likely go out on CLYDE 2, so clyde2 live player is a possible option http://radioplayer.clyde2.com/live/ slight chance it fall on http://radioplayer.clyde1.com/live/ usually is a direct copy of the Clyde one, so hopefully that gives some an option, if we are involved

The Scottish league football season is back with a bang this Saturday – and the Bauer Group has scored an early victory by sealing a deal which sees the return of live full match commentary to its stations across Scotland.

Listeners from across the country will be able to tune in to their local stations every Saturday afternoon throughout this season to hear how their favourites are faring.

The new deal between the SPFL and Bauer includes:

Full match live commentary of up to one SPFL Premiership or Championship match per Bauer station each Saturday during season 2014/15, regionalised to suit the audience of each station (Clyde 2, Forth 2, Northsound 2, TAY AM, MFR 2 and West Sound) within a new sports programme titled ‘Game On’

Live goal flashes broadcast from SPFL Premiership and Championship matches on any of Bauer’s radio stations on FM and AM (within ‘Superscoreboard’ on Clyde 1 and 2, Forth 1 and 2 and West FM and West Sound, and as part of ‘Gossip & Goals’ across Northsound 1 and 2, TAY FM and AM and MFR and MFR 2)

Both the live commentary and the goal flashes will be available on DAB (digital radio) and simulcast (a simultaneous transmission of the same programme on TV).

Graham Bryce, Managing Director for the Bauer Group in Scotland, said: “We’re absolutely thrilled to be able to bring the very best of Scottish football to listeners across Scotland this season, including the return of live commentary every Saturday afternoon.

“Our stations throughout Scotland live and breathe the lives, passions and interests of our communities and nothing reflects this more than football.

“The first season of the new SPFL brought with it a huge level of excitement and drama across the leagues and there is great anticipation for more of the same starting this Saturday, particularly in the Premiership and Championship.

“With live commentary, instant goal flashes and some of the best commentators and pundits in the business, our stations can’t wait to prove that we are the top team for Scottish football delivering the very best and most relevant local content to listeners.”

Neil Doncaster, SPFL chief executive, said: “We’re delighted to be working with the Bauer Group once again to help bring matchday coverage of Scottish football across the leagues to fans throughout the country.”

Listeners in Glasgow and the West of Scotland can also look forward to the return of Clyde 1 & 2 Superscoreboard and its famous football phone-in when the programme returns to the airwaves this evening (Monday, 4 August) at 6pm.

Jim Delahunt, Superscoreboard host, added: “There’s nothing quite like the build-up to a new Scottish football league season and we’re all counting down to the big kick-off.

“What makes our jobs such a joy is the engagement, banter and opinions we love to share with listeners throughout the season and the addition of the live commentary option is a big thank you to each and every one of them for their ongoing support.”

Clyde 1 Superscoreboard is sponsored by Sun Goals, all goal flashes across FM stations are sponsored by William Hill and Game On live commentary is sponsored by toolstop.com

There's a slightly different report out there somewhere, perhaps on the SPFL website, where it talks of "in addition to" when going through the arrangements,

Interesting then that this weekend there appears to be no delayed transmission of a top flight game on Alba but that there are 2 hour long highlights programmes. Us on Saturday night at late o'clock and Accies on the Sunday seeing as you ask.

May be its because they've already got a couple of live broadcasts on Saturday, or perhaps a slightly different tack from Alba this year? Perhaps it's been planned already and just passed me by.

Sounds good.

Just need to bring back Richard ("that's set the pigeons on fire") Park and it would be perfect.

Remember him from Kircaldy on pirate Radio Scotland 242 mv in the 60's and then popped up on Radio Clyde 261mv in the 70's did he no piss off to London radio?

Ahh of course you weeyin are being your sarcastic self :rolleyes:

Remember him from Kircaldy on pirate Radio Scotland 242 mv in the 60's and then popped up on Radio Clyde 261mv in the 70's did he no piss off to London radio?

Ahh of course you weeyin are being your sarcastic self :rolleyes:

He became one of the top brass in the UK radio world. His business sense was obviously better than his commentaries, but him and Jimmy Sanderson made for a great programme.

And eventually to being the token baddy on Fame Academy. But he did call Paddy Kielty a wanker live on air, so it wasn't all bad.

I don't mind football programmes but actual commentary drives me up the wall. Each to their own though- the wireless is one of those things that I will always associate with football from a better time and wouldn't like to see it disappear.

I know what you mean. I don't mind listening to games that I have no emotional involvement in, or when MFC TV did the reserves on. I've seen many a Sunday where I've stuck on the headphones and listened to any old game when cutting the grass say.

But a Motherwell game I can't make? Nah.

I'll sit with Twitter, Skybet, this place and Sky Fantasy Football open on various tabs on the laptop with Soccer Saturday on the telly but even if our game was the featured commentary I'd still give it a miss.

I only end up getting wound up listening to the commentators and pundits and there's far too much stress involved hearing raised tones, getting all excited only to discover its a throw in to the opposition at the half way line.

All the drama of a radio commentary is what i love about them...

The dons game last xmas when it was reaching the final mins, and willie miller though they scored the equalizer, only to find out it was the side netting and go into a big huff about it and storm off!.. brilliant. :laugh:

I don't really watch much football on TV but if there is any kind of football on Radio Scotland I'll stick it on, even if it's Petrofac Cup of whatever it is these days. You can listen to it and do other stuff at the same time which is the beauty of radio.

Watching TV is more or less a passive affair.

One problem though is a lot of the old guard radio commentators have retired in the last few years (David Begg for instance) and the new guys aren't in the same league.

One problem though is a lot of the old guard radio commentators have retired in the last few years (David Begg for instance) and the new guys aren't in the same league.

Aye, the quality has definitely reduced - good radio commentary seems to be a dying art. In general, I enjoy radio commentary, but it can be nerve wracking in a tight game.

I'm not much of a baseball fan, but I do enjoy the radio commentary for that too.

EDIT: do I get the record for using "radio commentary" most times in such a short post?

For info folks, Alba's deal has changed this year. They won't OB (Outside Broadcast) one game per week.

Instead, they'll cover two games per weekend (two camera coverage in HD) and will put out two separate 60 minute highlight programmes on a Saturday and Sunday night (Standard times are 10pm Sat and 9pm Sun although due to other commitments this weekend, I think our game against St Mirren is going out at 11pm on Saturday).

Bauer's deal (essentially Radio Clyde in this part of the world) allows them to cover one match live from each of their 'regions' - the West will be our match with St Mirren to kick-off and they'll vary it around Killie, St Mirren, Accies, Celtic etc.

You obviously have BBC Radio Scotland, who have their live coverage as per normal and Open all Mics around the other grounds. They will send two reporters on Saturday for OAM.

PLZ still have the deal to broadcast one live game per weekend and have goal flashes for the other too...

There's a ton of choice other there now - one of the other reasons why we opted to move MFC TV free-to-air. The 'free' coverage elsewhere means subscription services for clubs has become a very difficult sell.

Hope that helps...

I dont mind OAM's .some of them get carried away when a goal is scored! Can they no said Chic Young somewhere else?

Tam & Stu are no bad tae

Chic Youngs carry on at the 3-2 match at NSP at the end of last season should have got him banned from doing OAMs involving St Mirren.He basically became a fan with a microphone that day,although Murdo MacLeod has been getting away with that for years.

There's a ton of choice other there now - one of the other reasons why we opted to move MFC TV free-to-air. The 'free' coverage elsewhere means subscription services for clubs has become a very difficult sell.

Hope that helps...

Doesn't help us exiles a lot unfortunately :/ One less incentive for folk abroad to join the Well Society too, as it was pretty much the only useful benefit on offer, even if it was only for a year.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Heard on todays commute, that Kilmarnock-Motherwell match, is the live game being covered on Saturday on Radio Clyde 2, if it helps any exiles

Cheers. If we are 3 goals up with 5 minutes to play I'll tune in, otherwise my nerves can take radio these days!