Mccall To Crystal Palace

siebsbarmyarmy

Noticed on Sun Goals that Neil Warnock wants McCall to join him at Palace as part of his back room staff.

Would be a good a move for him I think, what's your thoughts?

Ps I am aware it's the Sun but would be credible!

Leaving a place where you've created a good atmosphere and you set the tone and agenda ......

English Premiership, so backroom wages beat what I imagine he can command here.

Question has to be, is his stock as high today as it will ever get with us? If he thinks so, then he may be on his way, another 2nd place finish or silverwear is the only way he's going to increase it further.

I think that would be a decent move for McCall and might not be a bad thing for us either if he was to take this position, assuming this is accurate of course. I don't think he can do any more with us as I believe that this is as good as it will ever get for him as a manager and should he ever move on to a bigger job as the main man then he would struggle badly in my opinion. For us, well a change in approach might well benefit us more in the long run and we really could do with a manager with a bit more vision and an ability to blood some young talent and generally bring something fresh to the table.

• Like 2

^ Good post, I think that it's time for us to develop from within both in terms of youth players and coaching staff too. We should be getting the likes of Keef and Hammy doing their coaching badges with solid job offers upon completion. It's a shame that Craggs didn't stay on as a coach, I see he's with the N.I.Youths now and he could have been good for us too.

He could probably earn 2-3 times his wages here even as a No 2 in the Premiership, possibly more. Even if it did not work out his stock would be quite high up here or elsewhere.

My big concern however is that if he goes we take the low cost option and promote Kenny Black to Manager. No evidence to suggest that would be a disaster, but we all remember only to well what happened the last time a No 2 was promoted to Manager. the Malpish years.

Of course it could be the Sun putting 2+2 together and coming up with 7 as per usual.

That would be my biggest fear too should/when McCall move on that we simply give the job to Black. That would, IMO, be an absolutely awful appointment but sadly it would also be an absolutely Motherwell FC in today's climate appointment in that it would be cheap, easy and unimaginative.

That would be my biggest fear too should/when McCall move on that we simply give the job to Black. That would, IMO, be an absolutely awful appointment but sadly it would also be an absolutely Motherwell FC in today's climate appointment in that it would be cheap, easy and unimaginative.

If we were promoting from within, my mortgage would be on Scott leitch as manager and Lasley as assistant

If true, I don't think this is one he could turn down. While not manager, a very hands on job at a Premiership club is quite a step up.

Palace are a bit of a basket case club but if it wasn't to work out, he'd still get a decent job in the aftermath. All going well though, he'd possibly be in line to replace the previously retired Warnock.

From our perspective, small amount of compensation would be welcome but I really hope Scott Leitch wouldn't be in the reckoning.

In terms of our desire to see him move on, I don't think the right question is, has he taken us as far as he can (probably yes)... But could anyone have done any better (probably not).

Really hope he stays, but if and when he does go he'll go with a big thanks from me, and a desire to see him do well wherever he goes. (Well, maybe with a couple of exceptions...)

That's quite odd that Andy Smith's name should crop up. I spotted him outside Fir Park before the St Johnstone game the other week. Had a bit of a blether about him with the Airdrie mates who hold him in high regard. I wasn't quite so complimentary.... Wondered as to his presence, if perhaps he now stayed locally, or was just taking in a game. An apparent friendship with Leitch might explain that then.

As for the Crystal Palace link I suppose its not unnatural given McCall was something of a trusted lieutenant for old Colin Wanker on and off the park at Sheffield United.

Some of the potential juicy outcomes for him should he wind up at Palace have already been documented in the thread already and again as has already been stated McCall's pretty close to the ceiling of what he might be able to achieve at Fir Park. The only other thing I'd add is that I'm sure he will be conscious of the fact that if he knocks back one offer too many people might assume he's just not interested in "stepping up" and the offer may not ever come.

If it happens, it happens, we've got something like 15 months more from him than I might have envisaged when the Sheffield United job was offered to him and achieved an incredible amount more than I ever dared hope for when he eeked out his first point in charge of that shitfest of a 0-0 with Accies a few years ago.

Always liked Palace. Thanks for what you achieved Stuart but know it's time to say goodbye.

A fresh open minded Manager willing to give youth a fair crack is the long term future. We might also be brave and appoint someone willing to accept and learn from his own mistakes instead of stubbornly sticking to a plan in the hope he will eventually be proven correct. I say this as someone who travelled to Iceland to witness an almost exact rerun of the tactics employed in the home leg and who has watched with disbelief as Law continues to feature, Sutton/Erwin/Kerr are asked to be right wingers, substitutes are left to rot until games are lost and Thomas continues to be ignored as far as first team game time is concerned.

Please take Kenny with you

Coyle? Behave, never going to happen.

Butcher? Huge step back. Nope.

Lasley/Hammell/Leitch/Smith? All unproven and too big a risk.

Herein lies the problem. We replace him with....whom? We have little to no money to pay the new manager, no transfer budget and currently not in the greatest position to entice anyone. The grass is not always greener and for all of McCalls faults he will be VERY hard to replace when be goes. We can't afford for him to leave and for the club to take a risk and then flounder for half a season.

• Like 1

People will argue of course but in my opinion Terry Butcher was the next best manager we've had since Tommy McLean. Everything that has happened since has been built on Butcher's foundations, including the success of Stuart McCall.

But the point I'm making is that although I held Butcher in high regard it was also obvious that his time at the club had come to an end the season before he left. Butcher, like McCall, was a limited manager but what he brought to the club worked very well for a period. However after a while, due to the limited nature of Butcher as a coach, a staleness crept in and when he left to go to Australia it was absolutely the right thing for the club.

McCall has clearly done a very good job but on the evidence of what I've seen that staleness might be creeping in again. It's too early in the season to say for sure but I think by season 2015/16 it might not be the worst thing ever if McCall moved on and we brought in a new, fresh approach.

His contract is up in summer 2015 so I think that is probably the most likely scenario.

Would be gutted if he left, our best manager in recent history leaves to be replaced by Danny Lennon, Kenny Sheils, Terry Butcher or someone else who does the SPL manager merry-go-round on a regular basis.

If he was to go I'd rather we looked outside these guys (like we did when appointing McCall) and get somebody a bit different.