Dom Thomas

StipeIsGod

It is shite. if he is good enough get him in the team. Tom Boyd, Fraser Wishart, Andy Walker, Chris McCart, Phil O'Donnell all got flung in under McLean cos they were good enough and never looked back. McFadden and Pearson etc as well under butcher. All this needing to introduce them gradually is modern day football bollocks.

Half of those guys were "flung in" to a team cruising along in the First Division - not quite the same circumstances. Likewise, Butcher played guys because they were the only guys he had in the squad.

Right now it's a difficult balance, because we still have a fighting chance to stay up, so the boss has to be careful. Any youngster is likely to go out and be mince on any given day.

I agree with Busta, however, that 5 mins isn't enough - much better to give a guy 20 minutes or so at least. Although, to be fair, Bara is much more flexible with his subs than McCall ever was.

As for modern day football bollocks, you could argue McFadden's career never hit the heights his talent deserved because of his injury issues - some of which may be due to playing him too much when he was a teenager.

We dont have time for fannying about though. If he is better than the options who are in the starting 11, then he needs to play.

But the question is, is he better as a starter?

I think the answer is possibly not yet - but certainly worth much more than 5 minutes at the end of a game.

But the question is, is he better as a starter?

I think the answer is possibly not yet - but certainly worth much more than 5 minutes at the end of a game.

The club have decided he is good enough to earn a new long term contract so he should be playing on a regular basis ie starting every week.

The club have decided he is good enough to earn a new long term contract so he should be playing on a regular basis ie starting every week.

Signing him long term means we want to develop him and/or sell him on. It doesn't mean he's a starter.

Again, I'm not saying don't play him or only give him 5 minutes - but let's not jump the gun and pretend he has the strength, fitness and guile to be a regular first team starter. He looks the part from a talent perspective and definitely worth a run out in most games.

Signing him long term means we want to develop him and/or sell him on. It doesn't mean he's a starter.

Again, I'm not saying don't play him or only give him 5 minutes - but let's not jump the gun and pretend he has the strength, fitness and guile to be a regular first team starter. He looks the part from a talent perspective and definitely worth a run out in most games.

I agree in part with that, and if he was part of a team with a large squad with half decent players all competing for a start then yes he could be nurtured and given limited starts to develop him. But its Motherwell and the squad is down to the bare minimum and a lot of the players who have been regular starters this season have not exactly covered themselves in glory, so we need to maximise the resources we have.

From what we have seen fromThomas in his limited apperances so far, he seems to offer a lot more than our regular starters, midfield and up front so in the position we are in just now can we afford not to give him a lot more game time. If that means giving him a regular start then thats what needs to happen, the only way he is going to develop as a player is by regular and sustained game time, he will learn feck all sitting on the bench or the odd 5 or 10 mins sub apperance here or there, get him starting and let us see what his real potential is.