How Many People Do You Go To Games With? And Has That Number Changed Over The Years?

David

Just something I was thinking about when I was reading the stuff about the Well Society and how they want us to encourage people along to the games.

How many people are in your group usually when you attend games? And has that number dropped in recent years, grown or stayed roughly the same? Any idea the reasoning behind why some of your friends don't go anymore if that's the case?

I used to go with my dad and my cousin. We were season ticket holders for years then worked stopped me getting the season ticket so I just pay at the gate for the games I can attend. My cousin has stopped going all togeher and my dad goes on the odd occasion, it's the cost that keeps him away, can't justify the price for the product, can't argue. I go with my girl friend now if she's not working and if she is I just end up meeting a mate. I think most people will have similar stories, people dropping away over time. The club really do need to find a way to reach out to the lost fans.

Used to go with a group of 6 (always a nightmare in the car) who were all season ticket holders. A couple more would tag along every now and then.

None of us go regularly now due to work, health, cost and we have moved away from the area, although if one of us is going we always call the rest to see if they are up for it.

One of the best things I did with regards to going to the games was join WTFC.

'Flow sent me an invite to use the (old) 'Welltrust message boards and within a few weeks he, Fatcalf, Yabba's Turd and a few others started the process of forming a supporters football team.

That was in (roughly) late 2003 I think.

At this point I was going to the fitba with cousin & my mate. Through the fitba team (and this site) we started meeting up with folk on a regular basis, attending away games or meeting in JD's before games. I have met many a folk through the fitba and the trips thorugh this site ( the masters, away days etc.) There is still a few of us cutting about together just now!

• Like 1

Funny you should mention that Busta, as I was talking to a few folk I used to work with who used to go, but simply stopped because their friends drifted away from football, and they didn't fancy going themselves. I invited one of them to come with me and my mate, but it led me to think about the people who don't go as much simply because they have no one to go with, for whatever reason.

Maybe something worth looking at would be organising a loose, casual forum meet-up before games with an open invite for people to come along, maybe bring some of their mates? Nothing formal or major, but a time and a pub where folk can come along, get a bit of a chat and a pint and maybe reignite their interest in the game?

Not sure if that would interest anyone?

When we all started sitting together, there was about a dozen of us that bought our season tickets together. Now you can count on one hand who is in our group most of the time. Three moved abroad, a couple started jobs that work some Saturdays, a couple got bored of our tedious chat and now sit elsewhere and one is now the tannoy guy. It's grim times.

• Like 1

i have been going to the football myself on and off for the last 10 - 15 years as none of my mates support the mighty.

Recently i have started to sit beside an old friend who has started attending the games again. I keep trying to talk my daughter into going with me but she doesn't like football.

When we all started sitting together, there was about a dozen of us that bought our season tickets together. Now you can count on one hand who is in our group most of the time. Three moved abroad, a couple started jobs that work some Saturdays, a couple got bored of our tedious chat and now sit elsewhere and one is now the tannoy guy. It's grim times.

Could you ever make out what he said?

I spent my first few years in the main stand with my dad then a few years on the terrace where the Cooper stand is. Moved to the East Stand when it opened then to the Cooper where after some wretched seasons moved back to the East Stand where 7 or 8 of us been sitting together since 1998.

Usually minimum of 4 at home games every game.

I could name about 8 - 10 folk who are 'Well fans who haven't been to a game save for the cup finals and/or Nancy away as long as I can remember.

That's still more games than any Old Firm or (wannabe) sheep shagger I've ever met