Well Bois

Muzz

Funny, the Odense game didn"t really bother me that much. I reckon growing up watching Motherwell, the latter stages of the UEFA cup were never something I coveted. Scottish Cup finals and league cup finals probably were. Probably took the semi defeat to Celtic under Butcher when Corrigan made that passback harder than Odense...

that was another miserable walk home from Hampden, ironically with my son who was the age I was back on the Rangers Semi days. Not a word spoken, at lease I can feel responsible for proudly raising another WeegieDosser who was obviously feeling all the same pain as I was.

Airdrie - Stuart Rennie penalised for exceeding the four step rule, that put us out. Only time I EVER saw that rule enforced.

Rangers- Penalty given for "foul" outside the box on fat Derek Johnstone, referee was about 70 yards away

Still livid,

My dad still talks about them to this day, his hatred for Derek Johnstone still burns deep!

See you say that but they always conjour up new innovative ways of punching you in the gut. I give you Odense for example where if we had scored that penalty with 5 minutes to go, we'd have had 5 minutes plus another 5 minutes injury time against 9 men to take it extra-time. Where upon you'd have had another half an hour against 9 men to get a goal that would have taken us into the Europa League group stages and the untold riches that could have brought the club.

That one still hurts. Sutton hitting the post, blackman missing from six yards and that penalty. We should've buried them.

"Not just the DJ dive outside the box but John Grieg nearly halved Willie Pettigrew in the box at the other end and nothing was given.

Never forgave the ref for that night."

As I recall WP was hacked down at the h*n End just before the "penalty" award by JRP Gordon, which made it all the worse. Never a penalty in a million years. I met Stewart MacLaren in a pub in Larky about 15 years later and he was still hacked off about it. Wasn't Gordon done for taking a bung from Roma in a European tie?

Then the hail storm after the game; I'd never felt pain like it.

I agree with UBH: you get toughened by it all. And to beat Spurs was quite an achievement. Who would have thought we would have got a 2-2 draw down there with the team they had?

I agree with UBH: you get toughened by it all. And to beat Spurs was quite an achievement. Who would have thought we would have got a 2-2 draw down there with the team they had?

I wasn’t allowed to go to the Spurs away leg as it was on a school night. If I remember correctly the Forth, Lanark supporters club ran a bus to the game, I was so jealous of my Dad and the rest of the group that night.

The only sour note about the Spurs fixture was Martin Peters' comment that "Motherwell were all muck and nettles" (!). I think they stayed at The Bruce Hotel in EK and there were reports of some of their players signing daft names in kids' autograph books like "Mickey Mouse". If true, it was a bit of a PR disaster. So glad we whacked them.

We seem to have strayed a bit from the thread topic, so I shall simply say, as an oldster: All Power to The Bois. Keep up The Noise.

• Like 3

Going back to the Bois I see that the recent 'Refugees Welcome' banners are gonna be reaching UK grounds this weekend. I'm not going to be at the game today but it's something I'd love to see us do.

I'd rather they stuck to motherwell related banners and left that Shite to the likes of the gangrene brigade and other attention seeking groups.

I'd rather they stuck to motherwell related banners and left that Shite to the likes of the gangrene brigade and other attention seeking groups.

Celtic fans spent the match yesterday booing Shay logan for getting racially abused by one of their players.

Would they really welcome refugees?

Shite? Why is it shite? It's more important than Motherwell or Celtic or football in general.

What an utterly miserable cunt.

• Like 1

Shite? Why is it shite? It's more important than Motherwell or Celtic or football in general.

What an utterly miserable cunt.

There's a hell of a lot of things more important than football, but we dont all take banners to games regarding them. Will we start taking "we hate cancer" banners or "fuck you ISIS" banners as well then? Jog on ya fuckin drama queen.

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree. Good intentions and all that but politics/current affairs should be kept separate from football.

Good point, well made. And I'm sure the poster who raised the subject readily accepts that others may have different views on the subject of political/social banners at football matches. May I suggest it was more the referring to refugees as "Shite" that caused the offence and subsequent OTT response.

Good point, well made. And I'm sure the poster who raised the subject readily accepts that others may have different views on the subject of political/social banners at football matches. May I suggest it was more the referring to refugees as "Shite" that caused the offence and subsequent OTT response.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Something Else referred to refugees as 'shite'.

I took his 'shite like that' to mean political messages at football matches rather than being directed at any particular issue or group. Maybe I'm wrong and if so it was a poor choice of words.

Anyways, each to their own.

• Like 1

I took his 'shite like that' to mean political messages at football matches rather than being directed at any particular issue or group.

Yep. I've no doubt there are viewpoints on serious issues out there that many of us would sympathise with, but all political movements have the power to divide and personally I'd rather our already small support was all pulling the same direction inside Fir Park.
  • Like 4

Aye, one of things that I always took pride in with the Motherwell fan base was that we weren't a side who attracted support based on any one particular religion, set of beliefs or political campaign. You support Motherwell simply because of your love for the team.

I understand the forum members sentiment, but the stark reality is that not everyone wants to welcome refugees with open arms, and each person who thinks that way has their own reasons for it. It doesn't make anyone right or wrong, of course, and debates on the matter will be had up and down the country no doubt.

Saying that, I've always liked the fact that when you walk through those turnstiles you leave all of that outside and you're essentially a Motherwell fan. Be it Catholic/Protestant, Muslim/Sikh, Unionist/Nationalist, Labour/Tory, black/white or whatever, you don't have to conform to a particular set of beliefs to support Motherwell.

It's refreshing, it's something that a lot of our support hold very dear in my opinion (and is the reason why we see a backlash to any suggestions of veering off that path I think), and it's something that separates us from the Glasgow clubs.

Anyway, that's my opinion on it. I hope the Well Bois continue as they have done, and that we see many more Motherwell-related banners that everyone who supports the club can stand behind.

• Like 3