Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

I have some reservations. First of all McGhee's managerial record since leaving Fir Park is pretty poor.

Secondly I think the appointment could be seen as a rather 'dull' one, seeing as he has already been here before and might not energize the support like perhaps a completely new manager would have done.

Thirdly, there is a section of our support, and I disagree with them on this, that will have the knives out for McGhee from the very beginning due to the circumstances that he left us last time.

However he ticks most of the boxes you'd have been looking for. Knows Scottish football. Experienced. Has a bit of a managerial aura around him. Has a track record of taking a down and out Motherwell and turning them round.

But whether you like the appointment or not, Motherwell FC cannot afford another failed manager or a St.Mirren style demise could easily be on the cards. We need him to succeed and hopefully he will.

• Like 1

Successful managers are typically employed this time of year. Or, they are so successful they wouldn't be in our price range. So whether it was McGhee or someone else, it's probable their record would be patchy.

McGhee's record isn't "patchy" it's fucking terrible since he left us. He's the 2nd worst Aberdeen manager of all time.

He beat the likes of Roy Aitken, Steve Paterson, Jimmy Calderwood and Ebbe Skovdahl to that honour.

McGhee's time at Aberdeen was solely a result of the players of the time trying to refuse two training sessions a day, training on a Sunday etc. He was trying to take them somewhere and they didn't want to go....the exact opposite of the response he got from the Motherwell players.

In my opinion, his failure at Pittodrie was due to the players there at the time just not wanting to work hard, and he carried the can for it.

• Like 3

Based on? What he did with us eight years ago? Or what he did afterwards with Aberdeen and Bristol Rovers?

He's been out of the club game for three years and his record in the past eight years has been absolutely shambolic if we're honest.

On the plus side he's coming in just in time to get hammered off Celtic, after which he'll give a post-match interview where he gushes over their "Champions League quality", and how we "can't possibly compete with them" and so on.

Oh davie baby....I hope you're no dropping the lip cos I disagreed with you earlier?????

I've already articulated my reasons for optimism but in response to your analysis of a 'shambolic' 8 years, yeah, it could've gone better, but I think he chose his clubs badly.

As he said in the press conference, his departure and arrival at Aberdeen were misrepresented at the time and instead of going to the Celtic job I suspect he was most likely falsely promised, he wound up at the managerial grave yard of pittodrie.

Bristol Rovers have never been an easy place to get success and I was surprised to see him there. He saved them from relegation and then struggled the following season. I think by his own admission it was a failure but I have a fairly good knowledge of leagues one and two (a number of friends who support teams in those leagues and going to games with them) and the turnover of players, managers and form inconsistencies are the order of the day.

Either way, I'm not surprised that having assessed the 80+ candidates, the football committee dug out McGhees telephone number.

And Dave and others will just have to live with it.

• Like 1

McGhee's time at Aberdeen was solely a result of the players of the time trying to refuse two training sessions a day, training on a Sunday etc. He was trying to take them somewhere and they didn't want to go....the exact opposite of the response he got from the Motherwell players.

In my opinion, his failure at Pittodrie was due to the players there at the time just not wanting to work hard, and he carried the can for it.

Exactly.

As for those saying he will be hawking himself to Celtic, he's got Chalmers, McManus, Pearson and MacDonald so he'll be fine :lol:

BTW, what odds on Skippy "suddenly" finding form...

Yep we've got a team of really hard working players who are receptive to new ideas!!