Aberdeen V Motherwell Sat 24 Oct 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Aberdeen are on a surprisingly bad run but I'm quite sure they'll get their season back on track on Saturday.

I'll absolutely sick of us being a nailed on defeat every time we play and we are once again relying on other teams dropping points in order for us not to slip into the bottom spots. With Killie and Partick appearing to have got their act together we have to start doing likewise. Utd won't be rotten forever either. We are absolutely in the mire even at this early stage that much is clear.

Surely surely surely Law won't start? Same with Johnson? Any news on Hammell? Laing in midfield doesn't look a good fit for me.

Who knows what McGhee will do but we need to start picking up points.

Ainsworth has to start . I'd go with Thomas on the left as well.

Ripley.

Kennedy laing McManus Chalmers

Lasley

Ainsworth grimshaw Pearson Thomas

Moult

considering Grimshaw played in the holding role for Manu I would play him there with Las further forward(oot the way of dangerous tackles)

Ainsworth has to start . I'd go with Thomas on the left as well.

Ripley.

Kennedy laing McManus Chalmers

Lasley

Ainsworth grimshaw Pearson Thomas

Moult

A strong looking side defensively, but Moult would be kind of isolated up front and we might find it difficult to put Aberdeen under pressure.

Will be interesting to see who gets a run-out for the U20s tomorrow with a chance to impress for Saturday.

Aberdeen have plenty quality about them but they have clearly went off the rails since McInnes had a wee outburst. We should be going there to frustrate and nick a result.

Hopefully Ainsworth and Lasley are back in the team with Moult playing upfront. I also wouldn't be averse to Grimshaw playing at right back.

Happy to be corrected but off the top of my head 7 of our 14 goals against in the league this season have stemmed from the right back area (Aberdeen x2, United x1, St Johnstone x1, Accies x1, Dundee x1, Celtic x1 by my reckoning). Which isn't to pin everything solely on Law, there's plenty of blame to be passed around, however 50% is pretty high and at the very least suggests it's an area that obviously needs addressed one way or another.

McGhee was saying that we need to start making teams work harder if they're going to score against us, playing defenders who can actually defend would probably be a good first step there.

Will be interesting to see if McGhee ends up taking in any of the u20 games since you'd think he'd have to look at some sort of solution at right back be it Watt or even Reid. Possibly even give Grimshaw another shot at RB and see Lasley and Pearson +1 as the midfield 3.

I think the 4-3-3 McGhee tried on Saturday has merits. Just not with the personnel he went with.

Ripley

Kennedy Laing McManus Chalmers

Grimshaw Lasley Pearson

Ainsworth Fletcher Moult

Could work. Moults not a natural on the left side but his work ethic is invaluable to the team. Not sure if Fletcher could play left side but I wouldnt be playing Johnson again until he has his head sorted. Especially in a game where you need everyone to put in a shift.

Will be interesting to see if McGhee ends up taking in any of the u20 games since you'd think he'd have to look at some sort of solution at right back be it Watt or even Reid. Possibly even give Grimshaw another shot at RB and see Lasley and Pearson +1 as the midfield 3.

I would be shocked if he didn't watch the U20s game tbh. He needs to get a look at every player on the books and judge them himself to assess the quality and depth of potential 1st team players

I would be shocked if he didn't watch the U20s game tbh. He needs to get a look at every player on the books and judge them himself to assess the quality and depth of potential 1st team players

Absolutely agree. I should probably have phrased that point a bit better in honesty, was simply meaning how quickly he might be willing to act on u20s performances. There was just such a weird aversion to it developing under Baraclough this season particularly with regards addressing the right back position. Craigan obviously tried Grimshaw in there vs Thistle but reverted back to Law for the next game though clearly his remit was to work on an interim basis.

• Like 1

Anyone think a 3-5-2 would suit our personnel? Not sure for Saturday, but maybe the next home game. Ainsworth and Chalmers as flying wing backs *facepalm*. We would probably get humped but we do that every week anyway so might be worth a try.

Ripley

Kennedy Laing McManus

Grimshaw Lasley

Ainsworth Pearson Chalmers

Moult Fletcher

Anyone think a 3-5-2 would suit our personnel? Not sure for Saturday, but maybe the next home game. Ainsworth and Chalmers as flying wing backs *facepalm*. We would probably get humped but we do that every week anyway so might be worth a try.

Ripley

Kennedy Laing McManus

Grimshaw Lasley

Ainsworth Pearson Chalmers

Moult Fletcher

Almost posted the same thing. Dont think it would be smart v Aberdeen though. Their best players are in wide areas. Too much space behind wing backs particularly Lionels side could cause us problems. Might get away with it against poorer teams but dont think Saturday is the time to try it out.

for me, kennedy, grimshaw, pearson and ainsworth must START.

Law and Johnson must NOT.

RIPLEY

KENNEDY. LAING. MCMANUS. CHALMERS.

AINSWORTH. GRIMSHAW. PEARSON. THOMAS

MCDONALD

FLETCHER

just my opinion, we are in dire need of a right back, how law keeps getting a game is beyond me and johnson needs to take a long hard look at himself (unless he is injured)

Where has this patter about Kennedy being a right back came from? The man is left-footed! And based on recent performances he's by far our best centre back.

Reid would be my first choice right back

When he arrived it was mentioned in the blurb the club put out that he can also play right back. "A centre back to trade but with the ability to also play at right back." http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/07/16/kennedy-is-signing-number-seven/

IIRC there are a couple of YouTube highlight clips of him playing at RB in some of his development teams but I totally agree with you, he's our best centre back by a mile at the moment. It'd be pretty mental to shift him over to right back given his recent form.

Seems McGhee isn't the first to see some potential in Laing as a defensive midfielder:

"Laing who can also play as a defensive holding midfielder has represented England from under-16s to the under-19s"

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Nottingham-Forest-set-sign-England-youth/story-21264071-detail/story.html

"he's captained his country at Under-18s level but Ged McNamee and Kevin Ball at Sunderland both think he could be an excellent midfield player as well."

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Louis-Laing-urged-seize-fantastic-opportunity/story-21281396-detail/story.html

Not endorsing it as a definite way forward btw. Was just quite surprised that it's a position that he's actually been tried in before albeit in the development leagues.