2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

I haven't seen a great deal of either player, but from the little I've gleaned they both seem to be defensive players and not the attacking player we need. Is that a fair summing up?

I'd say they are deep lying rather than defensive midfielders, with both showing brief glimpses that they have an eye for a pass.

Going by the YouTube montage, Clay seems to have potential if he gets up to speed. So far though, he's been relatively anonymous.

If we are to sign Clay or Lucas, it would need to be a low cost option as neither tick the Pearson box imo and we'd be stocked with 3/4 midfielders that all sit deep.

It's worth remembering however that one of our best midfielders in recent history, Steve Jennings, took a long time to get going so it's difficult to assess the attributes of Lucas and Clay at present.

• Like 1

I expect we will sign someone from The Championship/ League 1 in England on a six month loan with an option to extend. These leagues start next week and squads will be being finalised and those who are surplus/ needing games will become on the market.

I also think that Pearson will be back in January.

If the loan player works out then we will be in a strong position then to offer him an extension if finances allow and with Pearson back our midfield will be OK.

I expect we will sign someone from The Championship/ League 1 in England on a six month loan with an option to extend. These leagues start next week and squads will be being finalised and those who are surplus/ needing games will become on the market.

I also think that Pearson will be back in January.

If the loan player works out then we will be in a strong position then to offer him an extension if finances allow and with Pearson back our midfield will be OK.

I think if we are looking at the loan market for a midfielder I'm unsure as to why we would be giving two trials out. There's a chance they will offer Lucas a short term deal until jan which given his injuries would make sense

The club Pearson has signed with has a host of links to other clubs round the world so he will have other options to see him through to the summer. That said I'd welcome him back in January with open arms[/quote

£17k he's earning per game apprarantly - he better be willing to take a fairly significant drop in wages should he return in January

The club Pearson has signed with has a host of links to other clubs round the world so he will have other options to see him through to the summer. That said I'd welcome him back in January with open arms[/quote

He won't be earning 17k per game if they aren't playing though.

It will also probably be the same drop in wages he took last time round.

I'm sure Pearson will be back in January he's signed a 1 season deal leaves on 22 nd August but their season runs October to December so will be available come January so would not be surprised to see him turn up at Fir Park again .

Pearo and Clarky were in the main stand watching the East Stirling game.

Heard it on good authority this is what is happening....if you know what I mean.

I note that Dundee have signed El Bakhtaoui or however the name is spelt.

Must mean Blackburn did not want him as he was last reported as training down there.

Hope this is not one we have missed out on. No money unless Marv moves on - but he might have been a decent replacement

Time will tell

I note that Dundee have signed El Bakhtaoui or however the name is spelt.

Must mean Blackburn did not want him as he was last reported as training down there.

Hope this is not one we have missed out on. No money unless Marv moves on - but he might have been a decent replacement

Time will tell

I heard he asked for 3k a week wages at Dundee! Further reports stated that he didn’t get that, however, I am sure he is still costing them a fair bit.

How are you sure of that? You've basically confirmed you have no clue, like the rest of us.

Some of us do know.

There's a first team squad member at Fir Park on £450 a week basic, I won't name him. There's a lot of fantasy talk about the wage structure at Fir Park. While I don't know who the highest earner is, or how much he is on, there's not many players earning £1000 a week or more basic.

James McFadden said it straight during his managerial unveiling interview last week - no one comes to Fir Park for the money.

How are you sure of that? You've basically confirmed you have no clue, like the rest of us.

Sorry I should have been clearer. I was only reporting what was said on Twitter by @AgentScotland. He also claimed that Dunfermline offered him £1200 a week to stay.

Inside The SPFL@AgentScotland 17h

Dundee putting finishing touches to a deal to sign Faissal El Bakhtaoui, initially asked for £3k p/w but told he's dropped considerably.

Inside The SPFL@AgentScotland 17h

Dunfermline offered him £1200 per week to stay, crazy money for them, shows how highly valued he was at East End Park.

Some of us do know.

There's a first team squad member at Fir Park on £450 a week basic, I won't name him. There's a lot of fantasy talk about the wage structure at Fir Park. While I don't know who the highest earner is, or how much he is on, there's not many players earning £1000 a week or more basic.

James McFadden said it straight during his managerial unveiling interview last week - no one comes to Fir Park for the money.

How much do think we spend a year on player wages?

No matter how well he does for Dundee we have to move on and accept his wage demands were beyond our means. Dundee were in a completely different situation from us as they needed to replace their main striker (who they had got money for).

If Skippy had left, I imagine we could have signed El Bakhtaoui and had money left over.

While he would have been an exciting signing, I'm glad we went with the tried and trusted option.

^^^ Pretty much this.

I'm genuinely interested to see how El Bahktaoui fares. I'd have picked Skippy over him every day of the week though.

Given Dundee are looking to replace Hemmings' 25 goals (plus Stewart's contributions when he goes) it's a fair amount of pressure on a player with one good season in the seaside leagues to his name.

Really? If so, then where do players, who perhaps aren't "top notch", go for money? Firhill, Rugby Park, Inverness, McDiarmid Park?

I suppose you could say all the teams you've mentioned will pay similarly to Motherwell. So if they have to choose, and choose Motherwell, the money on offer isn't the deciding factor.

Players coming up from England are unlikely to be coming to Motherwell for the money either, the SPFL gets more exposure than league 2 or the conference, so it's a chance to "put yourself in the shop window", but I doubt we pay any more than most teams in the lower reaches of English football.

To answer your actual question, probably Hibs or Rangers.

:lol:

I'm not sure this is totally relevant but did McHugh not go on record saying that the deal he's signed was "significantly" less than the terms Plymouth were offering?

Whether he was just trying to play down the whole thing given the absolute seethe it seemed to have caused (and still is from the looks of thing) IDK but it seemed an oddly explicit thing for him to say.

I'm not sure this is totally relevant but did McHugh not go on record saying that the deal he's signed was "significantly" less than the terms Plymouth were offering?

Whether he was just trying to play down the whole thing given the absolute seethe it seemed to have caused (and still is from the looks of thing) IDK but it seemed an oddly explicit thing for him to say.

He did indeed: http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/carl-mchugh-i-did-not-leave-plymouth-argyle-for-more-money/story-29491415-detail/story.html

I think I have linked this before. Couple of years out of date now but a rough idea on player wages: http://stv.tv/sport/football/1321105-celtics-average-wage-bill-is-25-times-higher-than-ross-countys/