Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Dundee Sat 27 Aug 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Given the team we put on the park I was happy with a draw. The same weaknesses we witnessed against St Johnstone were again evident today. I thought McManus, Clay, Cadden and Heneghan were the pick of the bunch, with the latter unfortunate to be yellow carded given what had gone unpunished before. Cadden put in a hard shift but unfortunately most of his work had no end product due in no small part to colleagues being unable to support him. Clay is a real enigma. I thought he had a reasonable game especially in the first 45 but faded in the second with a number of unforced errors. That aside though I just don't see where his style of play fits into our team. His lack of pace along with that of Lasley meant that our attacks were painfully slow in the build up. Skippy had a thankless task trying to win short aerial balls against a man mountain who strolled through the game. Again he was forced to play too deep and just didn't link up with Johnson and Ainsworth who were played on the wrong wings and also sat too deep. It was really disappointing that Jacob Blyth didn't make the bench as I thought he had turned the corner fitness wise last week.

We enjoyed a lot of possession but had no cutting edge whatsoever. It took us until the 41st minute to register our first shot on target. When defending we again sat in too deep making it easy for an equally toothless Dundee side, but fortunately they couldn't do much either.

In the short term I think our objective should have been to reach the Ross County game pretty much in the pack and we've done that. Hopefully Moult, McHugh and Blyth will return by then to bolster a suspect midfield and toothless attack. But we do need to sign an attacking central midfielder, hopefully with pace, next week. If we do I don't see a place for either Lasley or Clay in the side, except as back up or as part of a proper 5 man midfield.

It would be churlish not to mention Dundee's defence today who I thought were outstanding. Admittedly their job was made a bit easier by only having to face a lone striker with little midfield back up. They chased, harried, tackled and gave our lads little or no time and space. Any effort on goal we had to work damned hard for it.

Nope, absolutely nothing stuck to him at all today, fair enough you don't expect him to win a majority of high balls, but his inability to pass the ball three yards is incredibly frustrating.

Cadden was head and shoulders above the rest today.

I did say this at the start of the season and was lambasted for it. His passing is quite often terrible. He obviously needs some help up there, so slightly unfair to judge but his good games are becoming more and more sparse unfortunately.

Think a lot of that game proved a few things we already knew. Lack of focal point (i.e. Moult) meant that we were struggling to create or convert chances. McDonald had a great chance to square Cadden in but was a bit greedy and then we had a couple of chances to get a shot away a moment letter and everybody seemed to suddenly want to pass.

When Dundee improved a bit we missed the midfield shield to break it up (i.e. McHugh).

Throw these two back in and I think we would most likely have won today.

Some real positives though. Chalmers did very well, kept his line well and never wasted a pass. Was a bit unlucky with a header in the first half too. If we could keep him off free kicks though that would be lovely.

Heneghan and McManus look like they have developed a fantastic understanding. McManus made one error which El Bhkatoui almost punished and Heneghan made one when he ended up having to put his name in the notebook to cover up but other than that very good.

Cadden is very direct and doing some good stuff, final ball was a bit less good today than in some other games. Johnson and Ainsworth playing on opposite wings didn't really let either flourish but I know why McGhee did it as the left back was rapid and Ainsworth was never going to beat him with pace alone and Johnson and Cadden are a bit trickier to beat him but it didn't work often enough.

Clay I really like, worker, rarely wastes a ball (sans the bizarre one he played in the second half) and adds a lot to the team.

Also - how many times have we lost that game 1-0? Today we didn't even look troubled in keeping them out, with a bit of help from Andrew Dallas giving us the goal kick that was clearly a corner at the death. When it isn't happening and we struggling up top, it is crucial to get a clean sheet and a point so we have to be pleased we were professional and managed that.

• Like 3

Quite like the look of the big dundee centre half gomis but thought El Baktoui (spelling?) looked light weight and a bit out his depth but did show a few flashes.

From us thought Marvin looked uninterested the full game.

McDonald can't play in that role as he often drifts back leaving no threat up top, I thought he did ok today but needs an out n out striker up there.

Pretty shit game overall with few positives or negatives just a bore draw in my opioion but at least we didn't ship a goal on 92nd minute

Think a lot of that game proved a few things we already knew. Lack of focal point (i.e. Moult) meant that we were struggling to create or convert chances.....When Dundee improved a bit we missed the midfield shield to break it up (i.e. McHugh). Throw these two back in and I think we would most likely have won today.

Some good points but it does throw up some selection issues when everyone is fit. Presumably you think we ought to go 4-4-2? On that assumption we'll say that MacDonald and Moult play up front. The defence may pick itself with the exception of left back and goalkeeper (my view). That then leaves midfield. Assuming that McHugh, Cadden and Johnson are first picks who then do we select for the attacking central midfield role? Clay, who lies deep and lacks pace for all his assets; Lasley; or someone else?

There are a few options. I thought the midfield worked well at Kilmarnock until McHugh went off. Johnson seemed more able to get involved up top with McDonald than he did yesterday. Therefore I'd be inclined that McHugh and Clay get the middle two berths. You could then go 4-4-2 and leave out one of Ainsworth, Cadden and Johnson. Alternatively you could leave the three of them in, get one of them supporting more up top and leave out McDonald. ]

From what I've seen this season (and this may not be the popular view) the back four we played yesterday is our strongest.

Not saying Brill should be our first team pick but I'd like to see him get a shot. I feel McGhee should have given him a run in a couple of the League Cup games to try and gauge who is first choice from some competitive action.

Some real positives th

Clay I really like, worker, rarely wastes a ball (sans the bizarre one he played in the second half) and adds a lot to the team.

The first bad pass he made was met with a chorus of boos from the East Stand. See if I was booing the team for nearly 40 minutes when they are still at 0-0,I'd be looking a different way of spending my Saturdays.

• Like 1

Surprised at some of the negativity but I suppose it was one of those games where we all see completely different things. I was encouraged by our possession game and creativity through the midfield, particularly from Cadden, Clay and Ainsworth however it would eventually fall apart with no clear cutting edge - particularly in the last 35 minutes when everything that touched McDonald's feet went to shit. If Louis Moult had been involved it would have been a different game. Also, sometimes credit needs to be given to the opposition who, in my opinion, did well to get bodies behind the ball, took care of most things coming into the box and stifled our play in the final third.

Clay, Heneghan and Tait all look like excellent first team additions so credit to McGhee for that, however it's worrying that we are operating with a bench in which the answer is 33 year Mcfadden returning from injury and having played only a handful of games in almost 2 years.

From what I've seen this season (and this may not be the popular view) the back four we played yesterday is our strongest.

Not saying Brill should be our first team pick but I'd like to see him get a shot. I feel McGhee should have given him a run in a couple of the League Cup games to try and gauge who is first choice from some competitive action.

I'd agree that yesterday's back four is probably our strongest and maybe McGhee does too given that Hammell did not get a starting slot. Both full backs lack pace however and given that our central midfiefders also lack pace it seriously limits our attacking options as we witnessed yesterday. Samson didn't do much wrong yesterday although his communication with Heneghan and Chalmers was very poor at times with the pair conceding totally needless corners (not their fault|). Agree that Brill deserves a chance to show what he can do.

Clay? I thought he played reasonably well although he faded in the second half and made 2 or 3 perhaps careless, but understandable, errors. He is a decent player, probably an all rounder rather than an out and out attacking player, but badly lacks pace and lies fairly deep. Thats ok if one of his colleagues in the middle is quick off the mark but we don't currently have anyone that fits the bill. Cadden tends to play a good bit wider. That means we either have to play the long high ball, which we did yesterday, unsuccessfully, or bring back the likes of Johnson and Ainsworth which we also did yesterday. In the process that allows their markers to play in more advanced roles. Any runs our 2 whippets make have to be from deep positions.

A feature of our play yesterday was a painfully slow, laboured and overelaborate build up, only broken by Cadden's impressive but ultimately unsupported runs. Older fans will remember the days of Ged Brannan when he would collect the ball from defence and then virtually walk 50/60 yards up the pitch to be faced by serried ranks of defenders and then turn back or make a square pass. It was a bit like that yesterday for long spells. By the time our midfield had mounted an attack our opponents had raced back and set out rows of defenders to repel them.

Certainly the return of Moult will enhance our attacking options and McHugh will add a bit of protection to a shaky defence.

We mustn't put all our eggs in a Louie Moult shaped basket. Yes he will improve our team but the players we have at our disposal just now should still be able to create and score goals.

The system/tactics we are deploying need adjusted.

This is a concern for me. There is no guarantee that Moult will be ready for the Ross County game. And if even if he is, it will likely take a few weeks to get him up to speed.

Blyth has been signed as the alternative, the big target man McGhee has been looking for since January, presumably to ensure we are more successful when we are playing direct. By the looks of it though, Blyth is a long way off being ready.

Personally I'd have liked a more mobile striking option, someone that can run in behind and compliment McDonald.

It always amazes me how a player out injured becomes the messiah and the answer to all our problems. Moult may well score some goals but just wait for the moans on here when he doesn't score in his first two games.

We do miss him however. McDonald is not a lone striker but he links the play well but needs another player beside him.

Johnston has been rotten since the speculation around him and hopefully when the window closes he will get his focus back.

I like the three summer recruits Tait, Heneghan especially and Clay although I hope his second half fade outs are due to lack of fitness and that can be sorted with time.

By all accounts Chalmers played well at Ibrox and I thought he did well yesterday. So all you who are quick to condemn a player give them time.

What I am trying to say is that people on here are either all sugar or all shite. We will never have world beaters but give players time and support them always.

• Like 3

This is a concern for me. There is no guarantee that Moult will be ready for the Ross County game. And if even if he is, it will likely take a few weeks to get him up to speed.

Blyth has been signed as the alternative, the big target man McGhee has been looking for since January, presumably to ensure we are more successful when we are playing direct. By the looks of it though, Blyth is a long way off being ready.

Personally I'd have liked a more mobile striking option, someone that can run in behind and compliment McDonald.

There's no guarantee Moult will repeat his feats of last season either, I like Moult, his tenacity reminds me a lot of Dougie Arnott, but even he had long dry spells.

There's no guarantee Moult will repeat his feats of last season either, I like Moult, his tenacity reminds me a lot of Dougie Arnott, but even he had long dry spells.

That's what people like about him tho, even in a lean dry spell he still works, harries and chases lost causes. Never giving up and always giving 100%.

Unlike his grumpy arsed forward partner who even on Saturday after giving the ball away was more interested in throwing his arms in the air and looking to shout and blame anyone else.

McDonald is causing division amongst the fans and the reason is really clear we are ALL aware of how good he can be and how much better he can do but he just isn't doing it.

That's what people like about him tho, even in a lean dry spell he still works, harries and chases lost causes. Never giving up and always giving 100%.

Unlike his grumpy arsed forward partner who even on Saturday after giving the ball away was more interested in throwing his arms in the air and looking to shout and blame anyone else.

McDonald is causing division amongst the fans and the reason is really clear we are ALL aware of how good he can be and how much better he can do but he just isn't doing it.

Tend to agree with all you've written here. McDonald, similar to Ainsworth, you kind of know within the first ten minutes what kind of performance you're going to get that day. Too often this season it's been the moaning, huffy version where everything is someone else's fault...

Agree about Moult, but Skippy is probably just p****d off at the type of game he's being asked to play and the appalling service he's receiving. Yes, he can be huffy but he's human and few of us like being asked to do someone else's job, which is different to our own's when we turn up for work. A bit like a cabinetmaker turning up for work and being asked to do a roughing joiner's job, or vice versa and being given the wrong tools to do it.

A bit like a cabinetmaker turning up for work and being asked to do a roughing joiner's job, or vice versa and being given the wrong tools to do it.

This is really, really specific.

I like it.