Scottish Premiership Kilmarnock V Motherwell Sat 4 Mar 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I'd agree with that to a point though at the same time coming back to 1-1 with 10 men against Accies showed an ability to dig in and play to get a result same with the wins in Inverness and Dingwall. Neither were particularly vintage performances but they were about grinding out, and getting, a result.

It's an understatement to say that we're not a good side defensively. McFadden has picked up on it on numerous occasions pointing out that it's been individual mistakes that have been costing us goals. For me that's the crux of it. You can look back through the entire season from Samson dropping the ball against St Johnstone, Hammell passing the ball straight to Erskine against Thistle, Lasley giving the ball away on the edge of his box against Hearts at 0-0 instead of just launching it out the park, Samson & Heneghan against Aberdeen at FP, McManus against Rangers, Jules against Hearts and that's before we even get to the 7-2 & 5-1 games. The season has been an unmitigated failure defensively and the fact that it hasn't been addressed is damning.

The thing about individual mistakes like these is that it's not about ability. It's about concentration, communication and simply being switched on enough to make good decisions. That is ultimately on the shoulders of the individual players concerned though by extension begs the question as to why our default tactic against the sides in the top 4 has been to sit in and try to be "difficult to break down" when it's been patently obvious all season that we are anything but "difficult to break down".

If nothing else I'd hope that the new manager whoever it may be is able to view the squad with a fresh pair of eyes.

Spot on.

Hearts were absolutely terrible.

Sadly we are worse than terrible, and as Hearts have shown lately they have the ability to beat us without breaking sweat. On our current form, we are the whipping boys of the Scottish Premiership. Whoever, comes in will have a difficult job assembling this group of players into a side who can avoid the drop.

Sadly we are worse than terrible, and as Hearts have shown lately they have the ability to beat us without breaking sweat. On our current form, we are the whipping boys of the Scottish Premiership. Whoever, comes in will have a difficult job assembling this group of players into a side who can avoid the drop.

Maybe not quite accurate. Hearts didn't really present us any problems until we went a man down.

But yes, in general, we are terrible

We certainly are poor, but our best form should be good enough to keep us up.

I actually think Mcghee was a bit unlucky with the defensive situation at the weekend, but that's all in the past.

As with all struggling teams, we need to get some confidence back. Lack of confidence leads to hesitation in decision making, poor communication and players taking an extra pass.

The new gaffer needs to be able to shore up the defence and put a wee bit of arrogance back into players like Skippy and Moult.

• Like 2

I think McHugh will step back into central defence and that should help a bit. However that means that our central midfield cover will be virtually non existent or considerably weakened at best. Without knowing the nature and extent of their injuries, its possible that either Tait or Hammell or maybe both will return, but what difference will that make?

Midfield? A real issue. Cadden wide right; some combination of Lasley/Lucas/Clay or maybe Campbell in the middle; and Pearson playing wide left. I'd like to see Campbell feature at some stage to add a bit of mobile grit and fight. Strikers pick themselves. We have to have 2 outballs on the wings as relying solely on Cadden is ineffective and unfair on the player.

Supposedly Stephen Robinson is renowned for his tactical ability, so we'll see how how he organises his charges. I'm hoping Robinson will make some voluntary changes as more of the same won't do.

I think you are right about McHugh going to centre back but for me Pearson should be playing in the centre of midfield, he's far and away the best midfielder we have. Put Campbell in there with him, he did well at Accies on a plastic pitch and provides a pair of younger legs. Lasley can come on if Campbell struggles or we need a bit of experience later in the match. Frear and Cadden play wide, with Ainsworth on stand by. Front two pick themselves.

You can look back through the entire season from Samson dropping the ball against St Johnstone, Hammell passing the ball straight to Erskine against Thistle, Lasley giving the ball away on the edge of his box against Hearts at 0-0 instead of just launching it out the park, Samson, Heneghan & Tait against Aberdeen at FP, McManus against Rangers, Jules against Hearts and that's before we even get to the 7-2 & 5-1 games. The season has been an unmitigated failure defensively and the fact that it hasn't been addressed is damning.

Well played - I can usually remember incidents about 2 games back then it all mashes into one big decade long game of fitba.

I think you are right about McHugh going to centre back but for me Pearson should be playing in the centre of midfield, he's far and away the best midfielder we have. Put Campbell in there with him, he did well at Accies on a plastic pitch and provides a pair of younger legs. Lasley can come on if Campbell struggles or we need a bit of experience later in the match. Frear and Cadden play wide, with Ainsworth on stand by. Front two pick themselves.

That would be my preference also.

Wow. What a week!

I'm glad McGhee is finally away but not exactly brimming with confidence for the future. Hopefully a new manager will change that.

Ultimately our players have been well below par and it is about time they step up to the plate. For anyone in doubt - and there was many on this forum - we are in a relegation battle. Our form this season has been absolutely dreadful. Despite this, now is the time to rally behind the team. I am really hopeful that we will bring a good vocal crowd through on Saturday. With McGhee away, a more positive united crowd can only be a good thing.

Where do you start with the team? I am struggling. My main focus would be to get rid of the main weak points in recent games. Let's take McMillian & Chalmers for starters, these guys are never going to make it at this level. Neither have the required technical ability or tactical awareness. Zak Jules, I've said from day one when I saw this guy he looks like a bombscare. He mentioned how good he was with the ball at his feet, I'm yet to see this. What I have seen is countless mistakes and poor positioning from him. For me he sums up the English Championship, players that are big, strong and atheltic but have very little footballing ability. He has been sent up here to learn however unfortunately for his feeder club and him we are in a battle to stay in the league. In recent games I've been really disappointed with Pearson and Cadden as well. In order to win we need big performances from them.

Samson
Tait Heneghan Mchugh Hammell (if fit)
Cadden Lucas Lasley Pearson

McDonald Moult

It may be a case of who can score the most goals.

We certainly are poor, but our best form should be good enough to keep us up.

I actually think Mcghee was a bit unlucky with the defensive situation at the weekend, but that's all in the past.

As with all struggling teams, we need to get some confidence back. Lack of confidence leads to hesitation in decision making, poor communication and players taking an extra pass.

The new gaffer needs to be able to shore up the defence and put a wee bit of arrogance back into players like Skippy and Moult.

In what way do you think he was unlucky? do you mean due to injuries?

Curious as this defensive issue has been present all season

Interestingly I was just thinking last night that Campbell has probably played most of his football on a plastic pitch so may be best placed to do a turn here.

In what way do you think he was unlucky? do you mean due to injuries?

Curious as this defensive issue has been present all season

Against Dundee, (and only against Dundee), absolutely unlucky with the timing of that specific injury situation that was always going to make things difficult in a game where we were trying to rebuild some confidence.

And like I have said before in other threads - as bad as our defensive record is, our scoring record is equally poor. Perhaps moreso, given the quality of the strikers.

McDonald and Moult are doing fine it's the rest of the squad.

Tait has one, Bowman one, Clay one, Cadden one, Ainsworth three. Everyone else zero.

And to make matters worse Bowman's goal was utterly pointless, Cadden's was a tap in from a yard and Clay's was a wind assisted fluke.

Tait has one, Bowman one, Clay one, Cadden one, Ainsworth three. Everyone else zero.

And to make matters worse Bowman's goal was utterly pointless, Cadden's was a tap in from a yard and Clay's was a wind assisted fluke.

Pearson's got an equally pointless one as well (from the same game as Bowman).

People are a lot more forgiving of a striker missing a good chance than they are about a defender giving away a goal, despite the fact they have equal influence on the game.

Apropos of nothing but this was the side that beat Killie on the opening day of the season;

Samson

Tait Heneghan McManus Hammell

Cadden McHugh Clay

Ainsworth McDonald Johnson

Move McHugh into McManus' position bring Lasley in as a CM, Pearson for Clay and Moult for Johnson and man for man it's not any worse a side than that one IMO.

Against Dundee, (and only against Dundee), absolutely unlucky with the timing of that specific injury situation that was always going to make things difficult in a game where we were trying to rebuild some confidence.

Couldn't disagree more. Yes, to have 3 out of our regular back 4 was unlucky however our lack of CB cover was the problem. At RB and LB McMillan and Chalmers have 'done a job' at times throughout the season (McMillan more so), however we've been putting all our eggs in two lanky baskets in the centre of defence. Where was the contingency for a long term injury to Heneghen or Mcmanus? The contingency (Laing) was released along with his 30 odd games experience at centre back for us, and replaced with a guy with no first team experience - anywhere.

That's just bad planning from McGhee.

Couldn't disagree more. Yes, to have 3 out of our regular back 4 was unlucky however our lack of CB cover was the problem. At RB and LB McMillan and Chalmers have 'done a job' at times throughout the season (McMillan more so), however we've been putting all our eggs in two lanky baskets in the centre of defence. Where was the contingency for a long term injury to Heneghen or Mcmanus? The contingency (Laing) was released along with his 30 odd games experience at centre back for us, and replaced with a guy with no first team experience - anywhere.

Joe better not be playing this Saturday.

Pearson is far and away the best midfielder we have?! Really? So in just under 3.5 games in midfield since his return our aggregate score is 16-3! Have we had any other run of results this season anywhere near as poor as this? Coincidence? Eh, no. Whatever he had has gone and allied to that he looks like he couldn't care less, which is even more disappointing given that he should care more than most given his association with the club over the years.

Pearson is far and away the best midfielder we have?! Really? So in just under 3.5 games in midfield since his return our aggregate score is 16-3! Have we had any other run of results this season anywhere near as poor as this? Coincidence? Eh, no. Whatever he had has gone and allied to that he looks like he couldn't care less, which is even more disappointing given that he should care more than most given his association with the club over the years.

Does this mean he's back to being the Ginger Judas instead of Pearo?