League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

--------------Carson-------

Tait--McHugh--Hartley---Hammell

----Bigirimana---Campbell---------

Moult--------Cadden------Tanner

--------------Bowman-----------------

How I would play it. Bowman has to be the battering ram with others making diagonal runs into the spaces.

I'd play Cadden centrally and Moult wide. We need to compete in the middle of the park and I think Cadden's physical stature and pace will be more useful there. I also think Cadden gets into goal scoring areas better when playing in the centre.

Moult plays wide quite a lot of the time anyway so I don't see it as being that alien to him. He'll make the runs to get into the box.

Celtic are weaker on the right side of defence (probably Lustig - Bitton) so if we can get quality balls in from our left side I think its more than possible that someone like Moult can make runs between the centre halves. He's decent in the air and if you ask me Craig Gordon often flaps at crosses. For me it's our best chance of scoring outside of set pieces.

Defensively Kipre is all over the place at the moment so I'd put McHugh back there. For me the opposition knock the ball past McHugh to easily when he plays in midfield and against a team of Celtic's calibre that's more or less a death sentence so dropping McHugh into a deeper postion where he isn't going to get caught out to the same degree solves two problems.

There are weaknesses, especially down our right side but there are going to be weaknesses whatever formation we put out and this formation is the best compromise between defensive and attacking football. If we have no goal threat there's not much point turning up.

--------------Carson-------

Tait--McHugh--Hartley---Hammell

----Bigirimana---Campbell---------

Moult--------Cadden------Tanner

--------------Bowman-----------------

That team is utter suicide. I dont rate Forrest but he has pace to burn and he'd rape Hammell silly. Tierney gets forward a lot so having Moult out there risks the chance he will need to track back isolating Bowman.

I said in the other thread just keep 3-5-2 with a couple tweaks

Carson

Kipre,Hartley,Hammell

McHugh

Cadden,Campbell,Bigi,Dunne

Moult,Bowman

Cadden will protect Kipre while having the pace and engine to help attack. Dunne will match Forrest for pace and should keep him quiet. McHugh sitting man marking their number 10 (Rogic or McGregor) then Campbell & Bigi marauding in the middle hassling Armstrong & Brown. Then the front 2

carson

kipre hartley dunne

Cadden campbell mchugh rose tait

Moult Bowman

Our strongest line up and brings the most fight and i think everyone of them will give 110%. Form or not i wouldnt be changing things to try outsmart celtic. Id focus on trying to well what we do well and thats hard work, pressuring them when we dont have the ball and getting it wide and getting they crosses in. keep it simple and dont give them time or space just like the aberdeen cup game.

• Like 1

That team is utter suicide. I dont rate Forrest but he has pace to burn and he'd rape Hammell silly. Tierney gets forward a lot so having Moult out there risks the chance he will need to track back isolating Bowman.

I said in the other thread just keep 3-5-2 with a couple tweaks

Carson

Kipre,Hartley,Hammell

McHugh

Cadden,Campbell,Bigi,Dunne

Moult,Bowman

Cadden will protect Kipre while having the pace and engine to help attack. Dunne will match Forrest for pace and should keep him quiet. McHugh sitting man marking their number 10 (Rogic or McGregor) then Campbell & Bigi marauding in the middle hassling Armstrong & Brown. Then the front 2

You know what would be suicide - thinking we can play the same system against Celtic that we did against Rangers at Hampden. We got away with it once, we won't a second time.

In that formation every time the ball goes left Dunne balloons it up the park and McHugh gives the ball away every time the ball comes out of defence. Absolutely no out ball. We spend 80% of the match in our own half.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every time Celtic have dropped points against domestic opposition this season it was against a team playing 4-5-1.

I dont envy Robinson trying to work out his best shape and personal to at least try and compete with Celtic so Im not going to try. Nevertheless, three of the many things Id want to address are:

1. Our right hand side needs to be strong in numbers to try and prevent being overran by the Tierney, Sinclair and Armstrong. Id like Tait and Cadden on the same wing. We cant leave a gap between the wing back and Kipre.

2. We need to have a balance in the middle of the park. As well as battling with Brown, we need a bit of composure when we have the ball. Id therefore want both Bigi and Campbell in there as part of a 3 man midfield.

3. Celtics one weak spot is at the back, try and get in behind them as much as you can and ensure we can get some quality deliveries into the box. Could do with Frear hitting form...

If we manage to beat an invincible Celtic team on the back of comfortably beating Aberdeen and Rangers, winning this cup would surpass the achievement of 91.

You know what would be suicide - thinking we can play the same system against Celtic that we did against Rangers at Hampden. We got away with it once, we won't a second time.

In that formation every time the ball goes left Dunne balloons it up the park and McHugh gives the ball away every time the ball comes out of defence. Absolutely no out ball. We spend 80% of the match in our own half.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every time Celtic have dropped points against domestic opposition this season it was against a team playing 4-5-1.

Its not Ideal aye but Id argue gives us a better chance. We play 4-5-1 we may as well not bother turning up cause we will get pumped. 60 yard long balls to an isolated Bowman will give us nothing! At least with 2 up front, if were resorted to hoofing it our chances of winning the ball are infinately better

The out ball is through Cadden wide. Keeping 3-5-2 means he can let Sinclair push on to Kipre at times knowing we'd still have a sweeper. And Cadds wide should give Tierney a thought or two. Play it up to 2, we will win a few balls, then Cadden has a chance to join in and Campbell,Bigi are available for the second ball

As much as Kipre has been the supporters hero, I think our coaching staff ( McManus/craigen) need to be doing some extra coaching on him, I know he is pretty young, but at the moment he is a bit of liability for us in the last couple of games and his confidence must be starting to taking a hit. I would like to think he can bounce back and prove to everyone he is still a good player.

• Like 1

If he was Scottish this forum would have ripped him to shreds by now

Im not sure on that. Kipre isnt getting ripped to shreds because he started the season so well.

He's certainly had a few howlers in the last few games but because we have all seen what he can do, the old war cry of 'get him tae fuck, he's pish' wouldnt really carry as much weight.

I often think Kipre starts off positioned badly, but seems to recover well.

He has undoubted ability, and all the physical attributes, but I think he gets caught under the ball or out of position too often and generally manages to recover, but against better sides, he will be punished.

The more I think about it the more I just want to have a fucking go at them. 4 at the back, 3 narrow in midfield kicking fuck out of anything that moves then 3 right up top, Bowman for his heading, Petravicius for his pace and Moult for his godliness! The 3 strikers dont go out of the Celtic half so if Tierney wants to bomb on,he's leaving it 3v3 and the rest of their defence is shite!

Those minging cunts are prob gonna win anyway so lets just go fuckin mental.Might get horsed, might end up 6-6 and we win on pens lol

And on a serious note, I hope we are pouring over footage of Craig Gordon's handling of crosses, great shot stopper but an utter vampire! Show the England & Slovenia games over and over and have our free kick takers drill the balls in exactly the same!

• Like 2

The more I think about it the more I just want to have a fucking go at them. 4 at the back, 3 narrow in midfield kicking fuck out of anything that moves then 3 right up top, Bowman for his heading, Petravicius for his pace and Moult for his godliness! The 3 strikers dont go out of the Celtic half so if Tierney wants to bomb on,he's leaving it 3v3 and the rest of their defence is shite!

Those minging cunts are prob gonna win anyway so lets just go fuckin mental.Might get horsed, might end up 6-6 and we win on pens lol

And on a serious note, I hope we are pouring over footage of Craig Gordon's handling of crosses, great shot stopper but an utter vampire! Show the England & Slovenia games over and over and have our free kick takers drill the balls in exactly the same!

'utter vampire' is sensational patter. Haha.

4-5-1 is no way to set up for a cup final, it's parking the bus and if we do that a team as good as Celtic will break us down and pump us. Stand off Celtic and you have no chance,get in their faces , high pressing and some pace on the wings ie cadden, Frear or Sid the Lithuanian boy to get in behind them and we have a chance, so it would be 3-5-2 for me.

• Like 1

Play 3-5-2 and you are asking Kipre to deal with Scott Sinclair ie you are asking to get beat.

This team has goals in it mainly from set pieces, Moult making something from nothing and Cadden and Tait's deliveries. Celtic will have the majority of the ball regardless of what system we play so the priority has to be having a solid defence. Pressing at Hampden is a mug's game as the park is too big.

Aberdeen sat back a couple of weeks ago and got their arse handed to them.

Celtic are better than us. What do we have going for us? High intensity, in their faces. Play to our strengths, using that we comfortably saw off both Aberdeen and Rangers. It is the best chance we have. We also probably only have one chance to hit them with that treatment and get the 'shock and awe' going. Fortunatley the final is game one of the three.

• Like 3

Aberdeen sat back a couple of weeks ago and got their arse handed to them.

Celtic are better than us. What do we have going for us? High intensity, in their faces. Play to our strengths, using that we comfortably saw off both Aberdeen and Rangers. It is the best chance we have. We also probably only have one chance to hit them with that treatment and get the 'shock and awe' going. Fortunatley the final is game one of the three.

Yep, that works for me.

We cant go into this game passive and allow Celtic to play their game. If we do we are toast. Our best chance is if one or two of theirs are having an off day and dont fancy it. To find that out we have to be in their faces from the off. Lets set the tempo and see what their made of. Id rather see us die on our feet than on our knees.

• Like 1

All this chat about changing our game to deal with Celtic is the totally wrong mindset in my book. We could change to a 4-5-1 and do what the rest of the league has tried and failed against them or we could play our own game to the best of our abilities and do what we are actually good at.

For me the team that is going to beat them is going to play them at their own game by using high press and not giving them 75% of the ball. We are good at pressing high and getting balls in the box so why not do that? All this chat about changing our formation is just playing right into their hands and will give our players the mindset of having to sit back and defend. Again, the rest of the league have tried this tactic in the last 63 games and it hasn't worked. Obviously we are going to need everyone on top of their game to execute this but someone has to beat them. We need to go with the style of play that has brought us to the dance rather than doing what the rest of the country do and camping guys behind the ball. There are ways to play this system without leaving ourselves totally exposed.