Pre-Season 2017'18

stuwell

Don't look into these friendly results to much. Sure we as well fans hate to see our team lose no matter what meaning the games have, especially you folks who paid good money to travel to these friendlies, and well done to everyone of you who have. However to me the season starts this weekend and if the dross thats been on show over the period of the pre season continues into the group stages of the league cup then I would think then we may indeed have a worry on our hands. No more excuses of how hard they have been training just prior to the games and how fatigued the players where prior to going on the park so fitness levels could be tested. Cup tournaments are something we well fans really look forward to and not getting a decent cup run can have quite serious ramifications on the club's finances come the end of the season. So fingers out guys it all starts on saturday. Its down to you now Mr Robinson. COYW.

• Like 4

That for me sums up Scottish Football right there. Were crying out for something different,the League cup gets a rebrand and new format giving us the "summer football" we crave and its immediately treated as nothing more than glorified pre season training!

• Like 1

That for me sums up Scottish Football right there. Were crying out for something different,the League cup gets a rebrand and new format giving us the "summer football" we crave and its immediately treated as nothing more than glorified pre season training!

I quite like the mini league idea but's a half baked attempt at summer football in my opinion. Not enough time from end of the season to the new one starting to have a proper pre season.

I quite like the mini league idea but's a half baked attempt at summer football in my opinion. Not enough time from end of the season to the new one starting to have a proper pre season.

I'm not a fan of the mini league set up. The bigger teams are going into it half prepared without having the benefit of a full set of friendlies. How many of our starting line up on Saturday will have had a full 90 minutes under their belt? It suits the very top teams 3/4 however as they don't have to participate until the later stages. The timing just isn't right.

My main bug bear with the League Cup is that the teams in Europe dont have to play in it from the start. This immediately devalues it. I understand why we do it re Europe etc but for me its not right. If we had leagues of 16 playing each other home and away we would have less games to play and could use the space to incorporate a meaningful League Cup with all the teams in it. You could still have it as a season opener if you wished and push the league back into the empty spaces caused by less games. Unfortunately now that we are back to 4 ugly sister league games every season its never gonna happen.

• 2 weeks later...