Pre-Season 2017'18

stuwell

Am I sensing the first knockings of the "Robinson must go" patter???

Quite how anyone can expect a few weeks into preseason with almost entirely a new team which includes trialists to be playing like Barca is beyond me.

It will take time for everything to gel and people will just have to be patient. If come October/November we're toiling at the foot of the table then perhaps we should start getting worried. But not now.

I agree to an extent, its a friendly and Ive never been all that bothered by them.

However,I can understand some guys concerns! The teams we are playing are lower league part time players at the same stage of pre season as we are, it is a little concerning that they seem fitter than us and we are playing some total garbage by the sounds of it, yes were not up to fitness but they arent either so we should be competing more.

Still, as I said at the start, I dont take much notice of friendlies, Ive seen us beat Man U and lose heavily to Ayr (I think) in the grand scheme of things, the real time to start judging is saturday

It's obviously easy to remember the last 30 seconds but the vast majority of what went before that was total dross (with maybe half a dozen exceptions). It's not just Albion Rovers, Celtic and Dundee United at home were as bad we've ever played and the week to week standard was awful.

We finished second.

Am I sensing the first knockings of the "Robinson must go" patter???

Quite how anyone can expect a few weeks into preseason with almost entirely a new team which includes trialists to be playing like Barca is beyond me.

It will take time for everything to gel and people will just have to be patient. If come October/November we're toiling at the foot of the table then perhaps we should start getting worried. But not now.

Sadly in life there are people whose default position is negativity and who love to have a go at anything and anyone, yet find it impossible to give out praise when its due.

Reading some (far from all) of the comments on here has me shaking my head in bewilderment at times.

Nowt wrong with criticism as such, differing views is healthy, I just don't understand the pant wetting this early with virtually a new team and limited resources.

I actually think some folks love a crisis

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It strikes me that most of the posts that are being fairly critical about Robinson and the team are also the same posters, in the main, who wanted Robinson out before the end of last season also.

And I'd wager never wanted McGhee, who wanted rid of Baraclough and thought McCall should go.

It strikes me that most of the posts that are being fairly critical about Robinson and the team are also the same posters, in the main, who wanted Robinson out before the end of last season also.

I don't think it is entirely unreasonable to have some concerns about a defeat to Gateshead given the backdrop of the lack of confidence in Scottish football at the moment.

Had our contemporary's produced fine European victories over the last week or two and Scottish football was riding on the crest of a wave then yes, a defeat to Gateshead could be greeted with a shrug of the shoulders.

The fact is however that the second biggest team in our league has just been put out of Europe by Luxembourg minnows and St Johnstone ( a team that has consistently outperformed us over the last few seasons) has also gone out of the competition at the first round, Scottish football is going through a crisis of confidence more than ever before. A defeat to a team like Gateshead does raise a few questions. Is the quality of player within the Motherwell squad any better than than the players in a team that play in the Vanarama National League?

It is very easy to say that results at this stage of the season are of no importance and that performances are of no importance and maybe they are not, but it is not unreasonable for supporters on a football forum to raise a few concerns, particularly after a season when Motherwell struggled to stay in a league that is proving to be one of the poorest in Europe.

I think what irk's me is the acceptance of mediocrity in this country from managers, players and fans alike. Football managers up and down Scotland are giving interviews like Robinson's on Saturday, explaining the latest defeat because it's only pre-season or it's too early in the season or it's too late in the season or the players are exhausted...............etc,etc.

My favourite was a few seasons ago when Craig Brown was the manager. He gave as the primary reason why Motherwell were out of European football as a lack of match fitness(where have we heard this before). He then gave as the reason for a lacklustre defeat in September as the players being exhausted due to an early start to the season because of the teams involvement in European football. By his reasoning there must have been a small window of opportunity in late August where conditions were right to put in a performance. Maybe on the other hand he was just talking shite.

The point I am making is that a team like Motherwell have to earn the right to be able to shrug of a defeat to a team like Gateshead. I don't think that this team are anywhere near earning that right, so it is not unreasonable for supporters to question the result or the performances.

One of the football managers mantra's is that confidence is king. If this is true the results in pre season games matter.

• Like 2

I don't think it is entirely unreasonable to have some concerns about a defeat to Gateshead given the backdrop of the lack of confidence in Scottish football at the moment.

It is entirely unreasonable for a number of obvious reasons.

First of all, it was a training session, not a competitive match.

Secondly, we are only about half way through our pre-season training. How does that make a difference I hear all the people who don't grasp the first reason, ask? That means we aren't executing any normal pre-match training schedules. Instead it means we are doing things like double training sessions, pushing players hard, the day before a game. The exact opposite of what you do before an actual game.

Thirdly, during a training session, like the one at Gateshead, the manager is trying things out. For example, different formations, different partnerships and different tactics. This is necessary, because he has a large number of new players he needs to integrate into the team. The outcome of this is information regarding what works and what doesn't work without the burden of losing a competitive game because of the exeperiments (because, you know, this was a training session).

Fourthly, different players are at different fitness levels? Why is that, the intentionally argumentative fans ask? Well, when you have U20s, guys from lower leagues, guys who have been out injured and guys who have just been out, they will all take different amounts of time to reach their peak.

Fifthly, the aim of the pre-season is to get the squad ready for the League campaign. That is why you hear the manager and players talk about being fit for Rangers. Not about being fit for Queens Park. Robinson has said the Queens Park team will likely not be the one that lines up in the season opener due the the different stages of fitness each player is currently at.

Sixthly, there is match fitness to consider. Early pre-season is more focused on physical fitness, not match fitness. Match fitness comes a little later when players are working on their tackling, passing and finishing. Even then, there is no substitute for playing in a competitive match to get that to 100%.

If I was in sole charge of the team, I'd be tempted to do all my pre-season training and playing behind closed doors just to avoid all the moaning and complaining. But that's just me.

Tomorrow's "game" is just another training session, so I expect a similar approach with the gaffer trying a few things out before he prepares for the weekend.

Oh, and if you expect to see a fully fit, fully match fit, well oiled machine playing on Saturday, you are going to be disappointed too. So prepare yourself.

• Like 6

Oh, and if you expect to see a fully fit, fully match fit, well oiled machine playing on Saturday, you are going to be disappointed too. So prepare yourself.

Agreed.

Good post. As of this evening how many of our first team squad, apart from Griffiths, have played a full 90 minutes?

It is entirely unreasonable for a number of obvious reasons.

I don't think it is unreasonable for one very obvious reason, The six reasons (it could be argued, excuses) you gave apply equally to Gatehead. The game started on a level playing field and Gateshead came out on top. It is not just Scottish teams that go through a pre-season.

Oh and there is no need to be condescending. I am fully aware of all six of the reasons why a Motherwell side at this stage of the season should not be firing on all cylinders. The very same six reasons why a Gateshead side should not be firing on all cylinders either and can still beat a Motherwell team.

Robbo if you are reading this don't dick about tomorrow night. Play the strongest 11 and ideally risk Moult and Carson. Got to beat this Barrow mob...season depends on it.

Also hell mend you if our players miss easy chances, opposition keepers make inspired saves or we concede deflected goals.

No pressure.

• Like 1

No point in worrying just yet, there's plenty time for that when the season starts!

I have concerns of course, that the defence won't be good enough, will any of the new signings be any good and who will partner Moult. The concerns will only only increase if/when Moult leaves.

Morton will be the first game I'll make. I'm looking forward to seeing the new players for myself and unreasonably or not, I'm kind of expecting to see a win and some semblance of deliberateness from us.

If we're still sitting pointless after game 5 v killie (and there's every chance we will be) then I suggest it's panic stations but we'll have to wait and see.

Had our contemporary's produced fine European victories over the last week or two and Scottish football was riding on the crest of a wave then yes, a defeat to Gateshead could be greeted with a shrug of the shoulders.

The fact is however that the second biggest team in our league has just been put out of Europe by Luxembourg minnows and St Johnstone ( a team that has consistently outperformed us over the last few seasons) has also gone out of the competition at the first round, Scottish football is going through a crisis of confidence more than ever before. A defeat to a team like Gateshead does raise a few questions. Is the quality of player within the Motherwell squad any better than than the players in a team that play in the Vanarama National League?

It is very easy to say that results at this stage of the season are of no importance and that performances are of no importance and maybe they are not, but it is not unreasonable for supporters on a football forum to raise a few concerns, particularly after a season when Motherwell struggled to stay in a league that is proving to be one of the poorest in Europe.

I think what irk's me is the acceptance of mediocrity in this country from managers, players and fans alike. Football managers up and down Scotland are giving interviews like Robinson's on Saturday, explaining the latest defeat because it's only pre-season or it's too early in the season or it's too late in the season or the players are exhausted...............etc,etc.

My favourite was a few seasons ago when Craig Brown was the manager. He gave as the primary reason why Motherwell were out of European football as a lack of match fitness(where have we heard this before). He then gave as the reason for a lacklustre defeat in September as the players being exhausted due to an early start to the season because of the teams involvement in European football. By his reasoning there must have been a small window of opportunity in late August where conditions were right to put in a performance. Maybe on the other hand he was just talking shite.

The point I am making is that a team like Motherwell have to earn the right to be able to shrug of a defeat to a team like Gateshead. I don't think that this team are anywhere near earning that right, so it is not unreasonable for supporters to question the result or the performances.

One of the football managers mantra's is that confidence is king. If this is true the results in pre season games matter.

A reasonable point of view and although weeyin put forward an alternative view in his reply which I tend to agree with, I understand the points raised and perhaps more importantly appreciate the sensible manner in which they were raised. Reasoned debate...lets hope its the future!

• Like 1

A reasonable point of view and although weeyin put forward an alternative view in his reply which I tend to agree with, I understand the points raised and perhaps more importantly appreciate the sensible manner in which they were raised. Reasoned debate...lets hope its the future!

I agree with that.

I also agree that there is a culture of defeatism within Scottish football. It's nothing new and has always been there for all the years I can remember. Christ, our World Cup 98 tune says it all really.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=del+amitri+don't+come+home+too+soon&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

With regards Gateshead, I agree to a certain degree about the level playing field. However, it is also reasonable to suggest that we were a scalp for the taking. I guarantee you, the Gateshead lads would've put more into getting that win than any of ours did the friendly/training session.

And besides, we've had bad scores like that before and had decent teams. What was that Welsh team we played in the europa cup? In the first game me made a 18st centre mid school teacher look like Lampard. A week of preseason on it was an entirely different manner.

It's always preferable to see your team win but it's the games that get points and win cups that I'll be focusing my angst upon.

Weeyin, Playing Devils Advocate a little here, but its a friendly for BOTH teams, Its a training session,opportunity to build fitness,opportunity to try other combinations etc for BOTH teams. And in that scenario,Gateshead (a part time English Non League Team) pumped us.

Im personally not that bothered by the result. However, I can totally see why some folk are a bit miffed. I can also see how your condescending "Il explain Football to you uneducated,clueless plebs" attitude may rub some folk up the wrong way as well

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing some of our new players tonight. Hoping the game is "tastier than Barrow in Furness bus station". For those who have no idea what Im on about, I'll leave you to "Chewitt" over!

Weeyin, Playing Devils Advocate a little here, but its a friendly for BOTH teams, Its a training session,opportunity to build fitness,opportunity to try other combinations etc for BOTH teams. And in that scenario,Gateshead (a part time English Non League Team) pumped us.

Im personally not that bothered by the result. However, I can totally see why some folk are a bit miffed. I can also see how your condescending "Il explain Football to you uneducated,clueless plebs" attitude may rub some folk up the wrong way as well

You have managed to say in a couple of lines what it took me several lines to say. The fact that it was a friendly for both teams negates Weeyin's argument for me.Given the likes for his post however it would seem that many think that his points are still valid. That's the beauty of having an opinion and having the freedom to express it on a forum. It would have been nice had the tone been a little less condescending but that's life.

I think that actually backs up Weeyin's point to be fair. Seems to me all you're doing is pointing out that it wasn't just our players that didn't care about the score. These games are a set of bibs away from bibs v skins at the end of training.

Robinson has even said in interviews they are purposely holding intensive training sessions before some of the games. That's to put the players into a position where their body is tired at the start of a game, pushing through fitness plateau's. The cardio equivalent of pre-exhausting a muscle in the weight room. You'd have to be mad to pre-exhaust a muscle and then get annoyed that you couldn't push the same amount of weight, the whole point is to get you into a position where you can't.

• Like 2