Scottish Premiership Game 2: St Johnstone (A) Saturday 12/08/17

Ocelot Groomin'

What a weird game. We certainly weren't great but I didn't think we were as awful as some have made out and I didn't think St Johnstone dominated us in any way. They barely got forward however when they did, they looked dangerous (or rather, we looked unorganised). I thought the biggest miss was Frear. Without him we looked unbalanced and had no real attacking threat down one side, leaving marking Cadd's out the game fairly easy. The pace and intensity of previous games was gone however I wonder if Wednesday's exertions played a part there.

On the cards:

McHugh's will go down as "excessive force". It was meaty and he won the ball but went through the man. A great tackle a few years ago but not allowed these days.

Carson - even if it's outside, I'm fairly certain that's not automatically a straight red unless he was denying St Johnstone a goal which I'm not sure he was. Need to see it again.

Dunne's - on the radio it's saying he did clip their man who then took another few steps, stubbed his toe on the pitch and fell over.

I only saw the game today through Periscope which of course doesn't give you the full perspective (I have absolutely no desire to sit through it again on Alba!!) but even from that limited vantage point my perception was that it wasn't as bad as the bare facts would suggest.

I'd be inclined to hold my tongue a little longer before getting stuck in with too much vigour.

I thought there were a things that could have went either way. Possession doesn't win you matches but it does generally give you a good indicator of who is the more dominant team and I wouldn't have said it was Saints, certainly not until the latter stages. What we didn't do well enough was do anything much of a threatening nature when we got within their final third.

Not great but without the likes of Frear, Tanner and Moult I can see to an extent why that might have been the case. There are likeable elements to both Bowman and Fisher's games but are yet to convince in terms of starting. Both do however look like they can offer something as impact subs.

St Johnstone certainly were clinical. I thought their first was a little fortuitous but when they got the second, which I certainly think we could have dealt with a lot better, they were able to choose their moment to pick us off.

I thought we were the better team going into the break and in the early stages of the half but it sadly regressed into something a little shambolic with the sending offs. Thompson is never a referee I feel particularly happy having allocated to us as he is generally petty and ruins the game regardless of how good or bad he is. The only one of the three that was relatively clear via the feed was McHugh's which at first view looked a hard challenge certainly but debatable if worthy of a yellow.

I've seen plenty of utterly abject Motherwell performances over the years and yet whilst there is clearly miles of room for improvement and it was a horrible result, I just didn't get that sense that today was up there with some of those.

It does remain to be seen though how we react. What has been good thus far has been the strength of character the team have shown. This will be a test of that

• Like 2

Can see why he stopped play for Moults. Looked quite close to the St Johnstone no24 when he broke clear. Aye Thomson should have let the play develop more but hardly a huge feck up.

Ball looked outside the box when Carson picked it up to me.

Disagree when looking at it paused. Even then it is a yellow at most. There was a defender with their attacker

Ref got it wrong with Carson. Just paused it before he handled it no way that is outside the box

Bang on the line when he handled. Looked like it was Thomson that made the call as the lino never reacted at the game.

Disagree when looking at it paused. Even then it is a yellow at most. There was a defender with their attacker

Fair enough. My sky is knackered and won't let me pause. Hopefully the club can get a good still of it to prove it...

Also someone else said there was no complaints from Carson...he looked raging at first and shocked.

Partick went up there and won 3-0. But the Partick are team capable of getting 0.

We are easy points because we gift atrocious goals every week. 8 in three games against top level opponents. Could have been 10 if Kenny Miller hadn't missed a sitter after Dunne's 'Zak' moment and the penalty save today.

It's not good enough and if people accept this now we are only going one place.

Now add in that we've given away three penalties in three matches and 4 red cards in three matches with Moult lucky to stay on against Rangers and you have an unsustainable problem. Already we are going into a hugely important home match (lets face it we are getting nothing off Hibs at Easter Road) with completely unnecessary suspensions on top of the injuries. It's like professions suicide.

How can people accept this lack of professionalism?