Scottish Premiership Game 2: St Johnstone (A) Saturday 12/08/17

Ocelot Groomin'

At the risk of upsetting BWD, I'd say from that picture, the ball is not yet in his grasp and is marginally on the line of the 18 yard box.

Not fully in his grasp, however, the ball appears to brush against his gloves. It’s a marginal decision and certainly one that the ref can’t possibly see. It must have been the linesman that prompted him to make the call. We need to appeal, if for nothing else to hear who made the decision.

It was a bizarre game all round. I certainly left the ground frustrated but also strangely optimistic. I think we were the only team that tried to play football and even at 10 men, played them off the park. I know that doesn't get you any points, but if a couple of decisions had went our way, we could've been discussing a dominant away performance. I thought Andy Rose had a great game and it's the first time he's really impressed me. Bowman + Fisher's effort can't be faltered but obviously need to become a bit more clinical. Fisher in particular seems to be lacking confidence and should be shooting more, needs a goal in one way or another.

We could split hairs over the reffing decisions till next Saturday and it's a great shame that all 50/50 decision went against us, but Im still confident that we will be able to push past this result and achieve a comfortable position this season.

Not fully in his grasp, however, the ball appears to brush against his gloves. It’s a marginal decision and certainly one that the ref can’t possibly see. It must have been the linesman that prompted him to make the call. We need to appeal, if for nothing else to hear who made the decision.

Yes. If the linesman made the call the chances are that he saw it from a near 90 degree angle and the ball would have been obscured by Carson's hand. given the very fine margin of error he would have found it difficult to judge just when he touched the ball.

Having seen it a few times, I still think "technically" it is out the box and that is everyone looking at the replays where referee has one look at it and has to be 100% sure before deciding, it would be interesting to see if the assistant referee had any say in the decision.

I think we have more chance with Dunne's appeal and I am sure we can live with Griffith in goals for next Saturday.

Out of interest who is in line for Captaincy next week with McHugh suspended and Hammel injured, personally I would give it to Henneghan

As mentioned by UBH why doesn't Carson just play the ball with his feet ????

It's very 50/50 from picture and from Thomsons position he shouldn't be making any decisions before consulting with the linesman in depth which he doesn't do........it's exactly the same with Dunne,there is contact,but the forward has another couple of steps when he appears to stub his toe,Thomson can't wait to give the penalty/red car

Unfortunately McHugh can't tackle like that when on a yellow,20 years ago we would have been praising a superb tackle it wouldn't even have been a foul

1st SJ goal a lucky break......goals 2/3 shocking defending

Three home league games on the bounce to sort it out

The forward players need to commit more, they played the ball across the 18 yard line to each other then laid it back for the left back to blast over. We should be looking to play forward, not back, have a go.

Agree. We all know Moult is not shy of a shot. But Bowy and Fisher dance round the box a little too much. Fisher especially. It's in the highlights where he has a perfect chance for a potshot. Instead it gets passed eventually back to Dunne for a hit and hope from distance.

Does anyone here seriously think Rangers or Celtic would have had three players sent off in these incidents?

No? So what does that say about our referees?

In the Rangers game at FP last year, Hammell was halved by a Rangers player (forget who now) in a tackle just as bad as O'Halloran's (who had been sent off) but nothing happened. Instead Thomson couldn't wait to to even up and sent Skippy off a few minutes later, after Miller did the dying/squealing swan.

Thomson has always been a prancing ninny of a ref and I'm sure many of us can list some very poor decisions against us, including the retaken penalty for encroachment, which cost us dear.

Incompetence or ill-will?

Take your pick. Either way, he's useless.

Thomson has always been a prancing ninny of a ref and I'm sure many of us can list some very poor decisions against us, including the retaken penalty for encroachment, which cost us dear.

Have we seen any retaken penalties since in the Premiership for encroachment?

• Like 1

My tuppence worth, Thomson doesnt like us very much. I recall this match in 2008

when he refused to stop play for a head knock to Clarkson and Hearts went up the park and scored. Yesterday, Moult skipped past two challenges and was heading clear when he pulled it back with a free kick.

MacLeans reaction and hand in the air waving a pretend card at Carson's hand ball. Was Thomson influenced by that? Watching the highlights at normal speed, you would need to have kawkeye reactions to say with 100% certainty Carson handled outside the box. In Slowmo it looks like ball was on the line when he touched it.

As for Dunne's card, to me the player took a dive. Looks like his brain took a while to make a decision as to shoot or fall down for a penalty.

As for McHugh, silly to go for a tackle like that these days as the establishment dont like manly 1970's style tackles anymore. However, I recall Cummins tackle in the Levante Champions league game. Very hard but fair. How times have changed.

Found an interesting article.

This link talks about goal line technology, however, the SFA head of referre operations has been quoted in the article as saying "The main coaching for match officials is you must be 100% sure of the decision you are going to give. If a referee or assistant referee is less than 100% sure, then he should not make that decision.”

Theres no way the ref or his assistants could be 100% certain in Carson or Dunne's cards.

Anyway, well beat Ross County, Hearts and Killie in the next 3 home games :-)
  • Like 2

"Theres no way the ref or his assistants could be 100% certain in Carson or Dunne's cards.​"

Exactly. Dunne's one was actually quite comical: the SJ boy went down in instalments. Lucky he wasn't booked for simulation.

I suppose in the end it all depends if the refs stick together in the appeal process. I have little faith in the authorities.

The most infuriating thing for me is the SFA will do fuck all to Thompson. I mean his performance was a disgrace. 2 dodgy reds, a dodgy penalty, a free kick for their first goal that never was, and pulling play back for absolutely no reason when Moult was 1v1 with the last defender.

I used to cringe when I read about people thinking certain refs had it in for us, but after Saturday I'm certain Thompson just doesn't like us.

The most infuriating thing for me is the SFA will do fuck all to Thompson. I mean his performance was a disgrace. 2 dodgy reds, a dodgy penalty, a free kick for their first goal that never was, and pulling play back for absolutely no reason when Moult was 1v1 with the last defender.

I used to cringe when I read about people thinking certain refs had it in for us, but after Saturday I'm certain Thompson just doesn't like us.

And, with my tin-foil hat on, the appeal panel will be under pressure to rescind Ryan Jack's s-o, so I do worry about their final decisions for us. Can't have too many appeals upheld, after all.

Watched whole game on BBC Alba and I thought we played really well. We dominated possession but failed tp capitalise on this and too many times our final pass was poor.

For their first goal their player handled the ball on halfway line and ref gave them a free kick from which they scored a really poxy goal. Second goal down to poor defending by Tait I'm afraid. But even at that I still thought we were the better team and after we scored we looked a good bet to get at least a point. At no time were we outplayed or carved open.

Craig Thomson has previous, and not just with us as I think most clubs have been on the end of his ineptitude.

I think Carson did handle just outside the box though I doubt it merited a red card. McHugh's first booking was nonsense but I'm afraid his second should've been a straight red. As for Dunne's red card, words fail me. It was the same as the one ICT got against Celtic last season. For that alone Thomson should be drummed off the grade 1 list.

I saw nothing to be down hearted about though and we'll play a lot worse and win games. But if we keep playing like this (and avoid Craig Thomson!!) then the breaks should come and we'll have decent season. Not top 6 but out of relegation danger.