2018/19 Game 32: Aberdeen (A)April 3rd 7.45pm kick off

Yabba's Turd

Tonight's results were pretty much as I expected and I don't envisage any further change in bottom six league positions or points totals before the split.  If we go into the break a point behind St Johnstone and 2 in front of Livingston I'll be content. 

Our recent away form has been poor losing 3 out of 4 games, scoring 2 and losing 9 in the process. 

I assume that Gorrin was being rested and that change would have upset our midfield balance. Disappointing tonight to lose Gillespie and I just hope his injury isn't too bad.  On the bright side, a chance to assess Rohan Ferguson, albeit for a short time, in a competitive but ultimately meaningless, fixture. 

Ferguson wasn’t really  tested and had no chance with both goals but at 20 years old, I think he’s a bit young to get thrown into the first team for the next 6 games. 

As for the game we were second best. Defence did ok but ffs the amount of back passes was a joke. We were bossed about  in the midfield and Main was shocking up front. 

1 hour ago, stuwell said:

Ferguson wasn’t really  tested and had no chance with both goals but at 20 years old, I think he’s a bit young to get thrown into the first team for the next 6 games. 

Depends on how bad the injury to Gillespie is. If he is fit to play then he has the jersey. If not, and we certainly do not need to take any chances with him, we have two options, trust in Ferguson or look around sharpish for a short term emergency loan. The coaching staff should be in a decent position to make the call.

Just watched the TV highlights.  On admittedly limited evidence, Aberdeen seemed to outbattle our midfield.  Their first goal was a fluke but the second was down to us defending too deeply and the third down to poor defensive cover.  Hastie took his goal well but what a pass from Tait!  Hopefully lessons will be learnt. 

Just hope too that Mark Gillespie is ok.  He's done really well this season. 

Really struggled to play football through the middle. Mainly, imo, due to the limitations of McHugh. Comparing his use of the ball to Gorrin is night and day.  That then meant we went long and Main was pretty useless against their defence. 

Disappointing but a win wouldn't have even been enough given the Hibs draw and the goal difference 

All about making sure the last games we show up well and bleed some of those close to the first 11.

Interesting post match comments from Robbo (Ref: Casagolda and Captain Oats on P & B). He said that our play in the final third wasn't good enough but also said that any player with his eyes on other things (or words to that effect) wouldn't be selected post split.  Presumably that comment referred to those moving on, of which there could be a few.

Agree with Superward about McHugh.  I'm not anti McHugh as he's done a decent job  for us in the past but for me he's more suited to central defence and is limited in midfield. 

Gorrin was defintely a big miss.  First half in particular, we played well enough and recovered from the flukey goal to be deservedly level. Their 2nd was fortunate too, but our performance dipped after that and Gillepsie's injury seemed to distract us even further.

I thought Robinson's comments were in response to people who were saying we should drop Hastie , but I guess he might have been reminding other that they need to be performing while they remain our our payroll.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I thought Robinson's comments were in response to people who were saying we should drop Hastie , but I guess he might have been reminding other that they need to be performing while they remain our our payroll.

Yes, maybe aimed more at others, some of whom are not getting  a game (ref Pie and Bovril). We have quite a few players who are likely to move on in the summer.